Main Menu

Return of the Blog

Started by Wickerman, November 22, 2009, 11:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wickerman

Just want to throw a little thanks and appreciation Jem's way for reviving the blog.  Be it in the form of 'View from the Cube' or anything else, it always makes for an enjoyable and entertaining read and there's been a great big gaping hole - apparently visible from space: Nasa (Tm) - in the internet during its absense...

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

Indeed.  I rather enjoy it, certainly more than many other media.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

turbo

Same here really missed the blog but does this mean the death of audio boo already ?
?"By the beard of Zeus"

Dave M

I'm sure the blog must be less time hungry than audio boo .... I've missed the blogg, I've always enjoyed the way Jem writes it ... the irreverant humour used to pour scorn on anything that dares to take itself seriously.  :D
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Trapezium Artist

I'm all for the blog as well; between the latest "award-winning" post there and the new front page regarding plans for next year, a veritable plethora of information, laughs, and promises of future musical adventures  ;)

I'm downloading David Elliott's most recent show on The Dividing Line: not a radio show I was aware of, but in principle, sounds like an interesting show and channel to keep an eye (and ear) on.

Finally, because it's Monday morning and my brain has not quite settled back into fully serious work mode yet ( :!: ), I will share with you my word-association-football response to the sign-off Jem left at the bottom on the front page (i.e. Jem x):

This shows Jem-X, the X-ray monitor on our gamma-ray observatory, INTEGRAL  ;)

Tricky

That's a nice looking bit o' kit there TA  8-)
How quickly can it do the waffles?

PS: I worked on GRO and Rosat many years ago, so I appreciate fine waffle makers space hardware
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Tricky"That's a nice looking bit o' kit there TA  8-)
How quickly can it do the waffles?

PS: I worked on GRO and Rosat many years ago, so I appreciate fine waffle makers space hardware

Ah; yet another (astro)physicist on this forum ...  ;)

Although in my job I'm not supposed to have any favourites (all of my children are talented, just in different ways  :) ), here's the one I'm particularly and personally attached to, (hopefully) coming to a point 1.5 million kilometres from you in 2014:

[attachment=0:1zp41jed]jwst2009.jpg[/attachment:1zp41jed]

rogerg

super cool awesome stuff guys!!  I was just talking about segmented mirror telescopes to one of my 5th grade music classes on Friday!!

and this GRO thing, should I know about that?   8-)

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "rogerg"super cool awesome stuff guys!!  I was just talking about segmented mirror telescopes to one of my 5th grade music classes on Friday!!

Naaah ... with all due respect to Tricky, it's old and dead, somewhere at the bottom of the ocean now ... was in orbit from 1991 to 2000. CGRO that is, not Tricky  :D

Plenty of exciting shiny bits of hardware in flight still though, in orbit around the Earth, other planets, and elsewhere in the solar system, and plenty of interesting stuff to come: the future is now  ;)

Brom

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Ah; yet another (astro)physicist on this forum ...  ;)

Yeah, OK, guilty  :D as long as you remove the (astro)

Saying that tho' and adding to this thread of galactic endeavours, a while back I do know that some bits I designed were once in residence on the International Space Station.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Dave M

Quote from: "Brom".... I do know that some bits I designed were once in residence on the International Space Station.

... how cool is that !!?   8-)
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Dave M"
Quote from: "Brom".... I do know that some bits I designed were once in residence on the International Space Station.

... how cool is that !!?   8-)

Somewhere around 100K when facing away from the sun, I think  :mrgreen:

Whilst I do posess a degree in Physics (and was once a Minced Pea*), I'm afraid I lost my way by spending far too many hours at a terminal screen and got sucked into the world of programming, so I've never done anything half as cool as that.

But I look longlingly at the gadgets that TA shows us...

I'm still a physicist at heart :)

* M.Inst.P - Member of the Institue of Physics
* May contain nuts.

Tricky

Quote from: "rogerg"super cool awesome stuff guys!!  I was just talking about segmented mirror telescopes to one of my 5th grade music classes on Friday!!

Do I dare ask?  Why were you talking about segmented mirror telescopes to a 5th grade music class?

And (a little bit of) GRO //http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/cgro/index.html was part of my first job... Back in the early 80's
But I'm not an astrophysicist (or even a physicist) - just an engineer with a long-time interest in things astrophysical.   (I deeply envy TA for having such a cool job) :mrgreen:
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Pedro

Quote from: "RacingHippo"I'm still a physicist at heart
Should that say "at the nucleus"? :)

*sits back and waits for at least two separate streams of more correct physics terms for "at heart" and wonders, if the two beams collide, what cool new terms might be created as a result.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"