A film I made for my band!

Started by gareth, November 28, 2009, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gareth

Ahoy Frosties!

Finally my band has something to share. It's a video I put together for a short instrumental of ours. It's well and truly in the progressive rock/metal area, if you wanted to know. Check it out and let us know what you think!

http://vimeo.com/7858630

http://www.myspace.com/quandarymusic

Trapezium Artist

Not bad at all  :D

The music is very redolent of Dream Theater, although that's no bad thing, and very well played. The video is semi-abstract and very well done; I liked the couple of brief moments where the blue illuminated buttons broke into the monochrome world.

One small question though. There appears to be a lot of interlacing in the video. Was that intentional or is it a transcoding issue?

In any case, nicely done ...

gareth

Thanks man :)
Glad you like.

Not sure what you mean by the interlacing. There's a bit of horizontal line type things when there's alot of fast movement in the HD version. Which is really a transcoding thing. I've had alot of trouble with Youtube and fiddling around with codecs and bit rates. In the end i'm really happy with how this turned out, all things considered! Vimeo is awesome.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "gareth"Not sure what you mean by the interlacing. There's a bit of horizontal line type things when there's alot of fast movement in the HD version. Which is really a transcoding thing. I've had alot of trouble with Youtube and fiddling around with codecs and bit rates. In the end i'm really happy with how this turned out, all things considered! Vimeo is awesome.

Yup, the horizontal lines. You often see this with rapid motion when the video was originally shot interlaced (for TV), but is played progressive (on a computer), but it could also be a transcoding issue, as you say. In any case, given the nature of the video, it doesn't distract at all ...  :D

Keep up the good work. Do you have a vocalist as well, or are you purely instrumental?

gareth

Thanks muchly!

We're currently recording vocals. All 4 of us sing, though alot of what we do is focused on the instrumental stuff like this.
We'll have some more stuff up on the myspace and such soon I hope  ;)

Pedro

Yes, very good.
Gets a bit busy in the "contains flashing images" area but it suits the style of music well. I like the good clear shots of little details like the effects board foot pedal and the pitch wheel on the keyboard - really emphasises the musical points.
Nice work - hope it gets watched a lot. Not going onto YouTube? I couldn't watch it on my iTouch but fortunately remembered to look when I got on this one.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

flamadiddle

That's pretty cool :)  Reminds me of Sun Caged.  Best of luck with it.

Titan

I really like this! Well in.

I'm definitely interested in hearing the album tracks when they are finished. Is this tune going to be included?
A TORN MIND | UK Based Melodic Progressive Rock
//http://www.atornmind.com
//http://www.myspace.com/atornmindband

gareth

Cheers fellas, I haven't heard Sun Caged! Will have to check 'em out.

Pedro, I tried my hardest but couldn't get anything satisfactory onto Youtube. The compression artifacts and the amount of bugs in the uploader at the moment made it impossible... Vimeo does everything so much better, except there's not the same size random audience.

Titan, yeah we have 9 songs recorded (this is one of them) and we're working on vocals now. I'm sure I'll bump this one when we have it ready!

Pajter

Really cool! Both the music and the video.

MartijnB

Just watched the video, excellent stuff! I'll definitely watch out for your album when it's released. Adding four vocalists.. I like the idea  ;)

gr8gonzo

Very nice.  Definitely sounds like pre-rut DT.  Perhaps you could teach it to them?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"sounds like pre-rut DT
:shock:

Ah, "rut" as in groove worn into a road or path, not as in the mating season of ruminant animals such as deer, sheep, elk, moose, caribou, ibex, goats, pronghorn and Asian and African antelope.

JR-based mental image avoided....although the goatee was not helping....

gr8gonzo

Actually, I was going more for the "monotonous routine" definition, but I'd be willing to blame their last few albums on goat(ee) mating.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro