Christmas Songs ,,,

Started by Dave M, December 10, 2009, 10:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave M

Dear Mr Thunder Moose

Given the radio waves are full of Christmas songs, I was thinking over a sage bit of advice my old man gave me .. he said if you wanna be rich write a great christmas hit as it gets played over and over and over again each year ..

It occurs to me, you must have had a crack at writing a Christmas choon for a starlet or two ? .. got anythin you can share with us festive frosties ?

If not, whats your festive song of choice ...

ELP/Greg Lake (I believe in father christmas), Slade (merry christmas everybody), Pogues (Fairy tale in New York) or SirCliff (Mistletoe and Wine)  :D
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Drarok

Quote from: "Dave M"Slade (merry christmas everybody)
That's my ringtone around this time of year. I snipped out just the bit where Noddy shouts "IT'S CHRISTMAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!!" and put it on my phone. :lol:

johninblack

Quote from: "Drarok"
Quote from: "Dave M"Slade (merry christmas everybody)
That's my ringtone around this time of year. I snipped out just the bit where Noddy shouts "IT'S CHRISTMAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!!" and put it on my phone. :lol:
I bet people LOVE being around you....... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Think I might do that myself!!!
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

gjstockham

Quote from: "Dave M"If not, whats your festive song of choice ...

I'll share my favourite - Frazier Chorus "Christmas Every Year".  Can't understand why it was never released! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7gbY-ukwdM

Geoff

Nellie

It's in the post!

Krische_Jasche

And of course here in Norway it's impossible to get through the holidays without exposure to the auto-tuned voices of the mighty Boyzvoice's "Let Me Be Your Father Christmas":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjQgBFe_Pw0

Jem

Pains me to say it, but I have had an Xmas number 1. It was no 1 in the UK for a month and sold over a million copies.  ;)

Some might say I got a bunk up coz it was an X Factor song, but an Xmas number 1 is an Xmas number 1 however you grab it. Ask Iron Maiden! :lol:

Pedro

Quote from: "Jem"Pains me to say it, but I have had an Xmas number 1.
It should not pain you - it is something to be applauded I say - it was still in the early days of the unstoppable tabloid crap generator that the franchise seems to have become (IMHO) and not a bad song either.  :)

But, to be fair, there is a huge gulf between a Xmas Number 1 and a Xmas song....not a sleigh bell to be heard in the Chrimbo number ones these days.

So I reckon the question still hangs - about you penning a genuinely festive foot-tapper.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Jem

ah, I see! Well there was the gig intro @ The Scala gig... :lol:

Brom

Quote from: "Jem"Pains me to say it, but I have had an Xmas number 1. It was no 1 in the UK for a month and sold over a million copies.  ;)

You mean YOU wrote "There's No One Quite Like Grandma"  :o
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Pedro

Quote from: "Jem"ah, I see! Well there was the gig intro @ The Scala gig... :lol:
Lucifer's dentures, you're right! There is nothing you can't do!
...and Mouse was in that too! :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Dave M

Quote from: "Jem"Pains me to say it, but I have had an Xmas number 1. It was no 1 in the UK for a month and sold over a million copies.  ;)

Some might say I got a bunk up coz it was an X Factor song, but an Xmas number 1 is an Xmas number 1 however you grab it. Ask Iron Maiden! :lol:

It pains you ? .. raise a glass I say.

But as Pedor says.. my question is really about a festive type song.. you know.. sleigh bells, snow, chestnuts and open fires kind of thing ?
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

gr8gonzo

I made a Christmas compilation CD a few years ago and my wife and I listened to it all the way home from DisneyWorld yesterday.  We discussed the difference between what passes for a Christmas song these days as compared to the classics.  It was dismaying to think that the younger and future generations may not even be exposed to the Christmas songs we grew up listening to.  We can only hope that our children come to appreciate them as we do.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Nellie

Quote from: "Dave M"

But as Pedor says.. my question is really about a festive type song.. you know.. sleigh bells, snow, chestnuts and open fires kind of thing ?

It only "pains" him coz his head grows every time someone mentions it (and his bank balance) ;)  :lol:
It's in the post!

johninblack

Quote from: "Nellie"
Quote from: "Dave M"

It only "pains" him coz his head grows every time someone mentions it (and his bank balance) ;)  :lol:

You're a wicked woman.............but we love you for it. :D  :D  :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"