Halloween, Alaska and Other Good Bands

Started by Hwangman, December 16, 2009, 01:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwangman

Hi Jem,

I had been away from the site for a while, but i was catching up on the blog and saw the latest post regarding Halloween, Alaska and member Evan Olcott.  

Evan and brother Ryan played in an amazing band called 12 Rods back in the late 90s/early 00s.  Ryan was the songwriter and singer, and Ev did synths and guitar.  Amazingly forward-thinking rock music.  Dave King (current drummer in Halloween, Alaska i believe) was also the drummer for 12 Rods during their last couple of years.  

Ryan has gone on to form a couple bands: Food Team and Mystery Palace.  Both have prominent electronic flourishes, and Food Team was Ryan's attempt to demonstrate how mangled and circuit-bent keyboards could be used to achieve pure awesomeness...ness.  

I was extremely happy to hear that someone else really enjoyed H,A, and i hope you (plus any-and-all forum folks) get a chance to check out some of these other bands soon.

Jem

And thank you for the heads up about the other bands, I shall go a-hunting! :D

Mooncat

And thank you Jem. My new Xmas listening will be provided by 'Halloween, Alaska'.
Having agreed  with most of your tastes so far along the musical way I thought I give them a punt and although I've thus far only listened to half of a track I'm already liking it!!!!
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Hwangman

Anytime!

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Rods  <----Here's the wiki page, which details most of the bands the guys have been in since the breakup.  There's a pretty wide range of styles...i'm sure everyone on here would enjoy something from this group.

Hwangman

Back again.  Not sure if anyone has heard of Jack Conte //http://www.youtube.com/user/jackcontemusic#p/c/7AB19A9722C8BE31.  A friend just told me about him.  30 minutes ago, i had no idea he existed.  2 minutes ago, i finished purchasing all of his music.  He plays a myriad of instruments and even programs drum parts from samples he makes himself.  Insanely talented.

MartijnB

After reading Jem's blog about Halloween, Alaska.. I listened to a couple of songs on their site and immediately ordered their album afterwards. Finally, it arrived two days ago.. I'm totally impressed! Great songwriting, great production, gloomy atmosphere, some weirdness..love it!

@hwangman: I also bought Jack Conte's music after reading your post in here. Great stuff as well.

Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming!