Halloween Alaska

Started by Mickdoo22, December 20, 2009, 06:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickdoo22

I checked out this band based on Jem's glowing words........being honest, I think's it's dreadful at best.  The guys voice is bland, the material is meandering and bizarre at times, and the melody is nothing you can latch onto.  Oh well....to each his own.

Jem

Thanks for taking the time to write that. What happened to "if you can't say anything nice?"
 ;)

What's floated your boat most recently then?

Brom

Interesting. I listened to "Hot Pink" by H Alaska last nite thanks to the blog mention, and, yes, the start is quite dreary, but once it gets going I found it quite OK and infectious. I don't think I would have caught on to the 13/4 time sig tho' if it hadn't been for Jem's comment.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Mickdoo22

No disrespect intended Jem.....I love to hear new music....these days if it were not for the internet, there would be a black hole in the music scene.
What I digging of late is:

http://www.deeexpus.com/, Dream Theaters latest, and Toy Matinee......an old old album for sure, but a strike of brilliance.

Mouse

I listened to Hot Pink too, and thought it was pretty interesting. Reminded me of Elbow and The Flaming Lips (the Brother says it's more like Eels - the band, not the animal), and I likes it very much. I will get around to aquiring some at some point in the New Year.

SerFox

I just bought Champagne Downtown as a little reward for finishing my essay, I'm only 1:21 into the album and I'm hooked. I'm so hooked...

PaulBM

My copy seems to be taking forever to arrive. Amazon want me to review the seller already. ;)

Philip_T

I've been listening to Halloween Alaska for the past year also based on Jem's suggestion and just wanted to thank Jem personally for turning me onto these guys. Wont be everyone's cup of tea, but I just find them fantastic. They definitely have the dreamstate/smooth bass groove thing going. Both their self titled and Hot Pink are still in high rotation with me. Thanks Jem!  :D

Mikey

Mickdoo22's been very quiet recently.

I bet he's been having an apopleptic rage at the on-off-off-on-in-out-shake it all about status of Frost* ;)
I used to have a signature

Pedro

Don't go there, he got canned, we don't need to bait him back again.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

E.S.

I heard just a couple of HA tunes some time ago, didn't quite hit me, to be honest... maybe I just need some more to "get it", we'll see.