Main Menu

CD BOOKLET

Started by esquerdinhas, November 14, 2008, 11:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyuwert

Quote from: "Jem"The lyrics and the credits will be going up on the site in the next few days. As for not putting them on the album, no fancy reason really it's just that that's what everybody else does and I didn't want to do what everybody else does. ;)

Jem, as much as I love you, I can't get behind this decision at all. Being different at the cost of convenience for people who like to just sit down behind a big stereo with nothing but the CD in hand and listen to the album in full... now whenever they miss a lyric they have to either forget about it or stop everything and hop on the website to find out what it really was.  :?

gr8gonzo

You could always take the lyrics from the website, copy and paste them into a word processor, shrink them down until they're unreadable, then put them into the booklet with a glue stick.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"You could always take the lyrics from the website, copy and paste them into a word processor, shrink them down until they're unreadable, then put them into the booklet with a glue stick.

actually, I see a thread where people share all the cool things they have done with the lyrics and other ancillary info!

pdf for the win!

Jem

Quote from: "vkamicht"Jem, as much as I love you, I can't get behind this decision at all. Being different at the cost of convenience for people who like to just sit down behind a big stereo with nothing but the CD in hand and listen to the album in full... now whenever they miss a lyric they have to either forget about it or stop everything and hop on the website to find out what it really was.  :?

I'm not sure what I can say to that to be honest?

kyuwert

Quote from: "Jem"I'm not sure what I can say to that to be honest?

I suppose that's better than "Too fucking bad!"  ;)

Don't have to say anything really, just throwing my opinion out there... I could be overreacting but hey, that's how I felt when I first read it. I'll certainly get over it.

Jem

Quote from: "vkamicht"
Quote from: "Jem"I'm not sure what I can say to that to be honest?

I suppose that's better than "Too fucking bad!"  ;)

:lol:  :lol:

Yes, I suppose it is! :D  :lol:

Gedfaz

Listened to album, read (ha ha ha) the booklet which is a HUGE waste of paper...

Dissapointed by both to be honest...

Like the guys more than I like the new effort put it that way. Was a bit put off by the growing anti Trad prog feeling as time was going by too tbh. Yes... sometimes longer songs are necessary to really develop something but it can be done in shorter times I appreciate (Wedding day for example). I got the feeling that it became a 'lets see how unprog like we can make a prog album and sod people who like trad prog' attitude to be honest.

This sounds like something that day job produced to get prog linking in as much as possible in places. Vocally, though the vocals are great for a pop band and this... I dislike the harmonies ... quite a lot actually. Contrary to the criticisms that DPRP came out with about Milliontown, I liked the vocal style far better. This is no disrespect to Dec. He has a wonderful voice and he surely shines on different songs from other prop, pop, whatever he choses type... i just dont 'get' many of these. He contibutes well to a lot of the songs... I just dont get a lot of them. i was hoping that in the album environment many of them would work (never been a fan of EIMA apart from the instrumental section and didnt like the falling down vocals).

I like his voice on the ballad sections and tracks...

Its a bit like Collins Genesis in the growing aspect... I made myself like it.... I really wanted to. All in favour of new stuff, but much of this is just a step away from pop. Like Pocket Sun though... but would be stronger in a 'bigger' environment than EIMA provides.

Guess I'm only a frostie if we are in Milliontown and I must be one of those boring old Prog farts.

Love the guys who are great, love the talent, the new songs have convinced me that the affection for the others was a bit false. Very dissapointed by Dear Dead Days... I thought this would be the anchor for the album, but it feels bitty and incohesive.

Know this will irritate people and its still a great album of a certain ilk and it IS prog... and the guys are all brilliant performers and the songs written and executed brilliantly... Its just that bit too geared at the porcu tree/ it bites/ thoughtful 'pop' crowd to appeal to an old fart like me.

That booklet though.... What a waste!

Sorry... had to say it... know nobody will lose any sleep over my opinion but I'm a big mouth and had to give it.

gr8gonzo

Jem, I looked all over the website for the "Hobbits Bothered" counter and can't seem to find it.  Was this an oversight?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Rick

As Jem has always said, if he created a milliontown 2 then he would have been slagged for that.
It is very different from Milliontown but then we have always known that and he has always made it clear that it would be.
It does not have that immediate BLM, Other Me, Mtown impact,  but on repeated listening it gets better and better, the first time i played it i thought......ok?
Now i cannot stop playing it, might i suggest you give it a few more listens first?
Incidently i think DDD is brilliant, fav track by far.

kyuwert

Gedfaz since you dislike the vocals so much I'd be interested to hear what you think of the instrumental mix version as a whole. I get the feeling it'll sound a lot "proggier"... (though I personally love this album's vocals to death)

RWA

Yeah, If you don't like it you don't like it. No point in arguing that.
But I do believe you should give every album a fair chance by listening to it at least 5 times or so. I often experience music has to grow on me.

Just my 2 cents. Can't judge the thing yet.  :)

kyuwert

Quote from: "RWA"Yeah, If you don't like it you don't like it. No point in arguing that.
But I do believe you should give every album a fair chance by listening to it at least 5 times or so. I often experience music has to grow on me.

x2...

That number sounds about right. Milliontown took about 5 spins before it hooked me, really. I know that's not the case for most people here, but we all have different tastes. EIMA was a first listen kinda deal for me...  :D

Gedfaz

Quote from: "RWA"Yeah, If you don't like it you don't like it. No point in arguing that.

Just my 2 cents. Can't judge the thing yet.  :)

This is a very fair point... and I had heard 5 of the songs in full over and over again, stuck in my MP3 player before the album hit my cd player. I disliked Falling down enormously when I first heard it and was quite unimpressed by the title track. Loved Pocket sun and felt wonderland was a song of two halves. Liked the bits of Toys that I heard but I dont like the final version. loved the sections of dear dead days that were played in the blogs but think it is just bits stuck together on the album. I like Saline... Vocally lovely.. so tahts proof that I do like Decs vocals... its not about his ability at all.

Thanks to Jem we had all heard over 80% of this album. Maybe thats a bad thing I dont know... but I have loved the ride that he has given us and thats worthe the album price alone. But i feel grateful to have paid for the process and the company of guys who are very much alive... rather than the shiny disc that the whole thing produced.

Anyway peace to all eh....

Now if you dont mind, Frodo's got my tea ready....

Gedfaz

Quote from: "vkamicht"Gedfaz since you dislike the vocals so much I'd be interested to hear what you think of the instrumental mix version as a whole. I get the feeling it'll sound a lot "proggier"... (though I personally love this album's vocals to death)

I was certainly excited when I found out there was an instrumental version... but again I have to say... its not about the vocal ability or talent and I think the vocals do fit these songs well... the harmony type things I dont like... Please dont see this as didding any band member because they are all brilliant.

Dec is superb as are all the others... It just doesnt work for stupid me!

Gedfaz

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Jem, I looked all over the website for the "Hobbits Bothered" counter and can't seem to find it.  Was this an oversight?

Hilarious... and from somebody from a country with such an extensive Prog History.... not

Seriously, as I said, I'm not bothered by others opinions... and I do quite like some tracks off the IT BITES album ...excepting that hideous 'great disasters' track and I do like a lot of more modern prog... I'm just a bit dissapointed by this. Its not the length of the tracks... its how they fit together and how they progress.

Seriously thats fine I dont belong here because I sense the forum looks at things from a different viewpoint to mine and thats fine  because musical taste is very personal...

Incidentally, i wish people would lose the whole hobbit/goblin stereotype about trad prog.. where the hell did that come from.... going back to the earlier days of prog, the only mention of elves or orcs or hobbits I have located is Bo Hannsons 'Magicians Hat', Did Genesis under Gabriel do songs about hobbits? did Yes do Hobbit Songs? Do anybody else do hobbit/LOR related songs...

By reinforcing the stereotype and dissing trad prog fans in that way you do the genre a disservice...

and by sucking up you do the same for yourself... Never been minded to do the same myself...

Jem/guys... You are all quality people and musicians ...prog on dudes :)