Main Menu

CD BOOKLET

Started by esquerdinhas, November 14, 2008, 11:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyuwert

Oh and I wanted add one more thing, which I find quite interesting since you've mentioned vocal harmonies, and Falling Down in particular.

My dad is an "old prog hobbit" or whatever we're calling them, always listening to his 70s stuff and going on and on about how great it is. Every so often I'll give him a newer prog CD to listen to and he DOES listen to them, and usually doesn't say much negative about it. (For the record he said Milliontown sounded like Tool... I don't know how they compare because I haven't heard anything of Tool)

Anyway we were in the car and Falling Down came on, and at some point he said "This sounds like Yes...." I did a double take and said "What? It does?" And he said "Yeah, they do a lot of the vocal stuff like that."

I've only heard a couple Yes albums so I can't be too sure about that point, but hey, food for thought... :)

Jem

People hated the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway when it came out I seem to remember and while I'm not saying that EIMA is to be mentioned in the same breath as that masterpiece, I think it's important to remember that this album is designed to polarise people. Even the booklet! :lol:

There was always always going to be the "I'm very disappointed" thread and to be honest, I think that's part of the experiment. They're just some songs, I've never said this album will change your life, bring your ancestors back from the dead or make you rich. I just wrote an album and filmed it while I was doing it. The hype is just that, hype, so there will be some people that feel it's less than the sum of the parts. It's not my fault if some people have been over caught up with it.

I'm cool with that and thank you for your time up to this point.

However, I'm unapologetic about the music. I'm unapologetic about the artwork. I'm unapologetic about the Frost Reports and I'm still going to continue with it all. ;)

Pedro

Quote from: "Jem"I'm still going to continue with it all. ;)
Permission to shout 'hurrah' in a stupidly loud voice sir?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Liquid

Tool? Really? I don't see a similarity anywhere, to be honest. Tool is flat, stale, grumpy, and dark; while Frost to me is lively, colorful, energetic, and cheerful. Weird comparison. A similarity to Yes I can see, but not to Tool.

Jem, I will be thoroughly disappointed with the aerodynamics of this album if it doesn't fly here in the next day or two.

And nice avatar, Eppie dear.

Gedfaz

Quote from: "Jem"People hated the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway when it came out I seem to remember and while I'm not saying that EIMA is to be mentioned in the same breath as that masterpiece, I think it's important to remember that this album is designed to polarise people. Even the booklet! :lol:

There was always always going to be the "I'm very disappointed" thread and to be honest, I think that's part of the experiment. They're just some songs, I've never said this album will change your life, bring your ancestors back from the dead or make you rich. I just wrote an album and filmed it while I was doing it. The hype is just that, hype, so there will be some people that feel it's less than the sum of the parts. It's not my fault if some people have been over caught up with it.

However, I'm unapologetic about the music. I'm unapologetic about the artwork. I'm unapologetic about the Frost Reports and I'm still going to continue with it all. ;)

That is a pretty cool answer.... and to be honest, the reason why I felt able to leave my opinion in the prescence of the band...

and certainly there should be no end to the updates or blogs... they were the best part of the whole experience....

If you apologised for the music then it would be a travesty. You ahve to do what feels right and I've never ever gone against that or stated you shouldnt... You have to be true to you or the whole thing just wouldnt work at all...

I'm just one grumpy voter thats all...

Gedfaz

Quote from: "vkamicht"Oh and I wanted add one more thing, which I find quite interesting since you've mentioned vocal harmonies, and Falling Down in particular.

My dad is an "old prog hobbit" or whatever we're calling them, always listening to his 70s stuff and going on and on about how great it is. Every so often I'll give him a newer prog CD to listen to and he DOES listen to them, and usually doesn't say much negative about it. (For the record he said Milliontown sounded like Tool... I don't know how they compare because I haven't heard anything of Tool)

Anyway we were in the car and Falling Down came on, and at some point he said "This sounds like Yes...." I did a double take and said "What? It does?" And he said "Yeah, they do a lot of the vocal stuff like that."

I've only heard a couple Yes albums so I can't be too sure about that point, but hey, food for thought... :)

Maybe he's getting the 'light vocal thing' and they did use Chris Squire to do some horrible harmonies particularly later on... i can see some connection between the outro of Milliontown and parts of Total mass Retain... but little else.. All respect to your Dad but i dont hear Tool in there at all.... but maybe I dont know tool well enough... maybe I should? :)

Gedfaz

Quote from: "Jem"People hated the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway when it came out I seem to remember and while I'm not saying that EIMA is to be mentioned in the same breath as that masterpiece, I think it's important to remember that this album is designed to polarise people. Even the booklet! :lol:

It did take me quite some time to get into 'The Lamb' and I'm still not sure about much of side 2 'Chamber of 32 doors' particularly but its in my top 5 of all time now...

Hey.... you never know......

LivingForever

I can see why someone that loved Milliontown wouldn't necesarily love EIMA, it's a completely different album, as we knew it would be. I don't even see it as fitting in the Porcupine Tree or Oceansize "Indie-Prog" type vibe which is actually what I was expecting, nor does it fit into the It Bites / Kino "Prog-Pop" area.

It's basically not like anything I've ever heard which is credit to the guys. If anything, it sounds a bit like Darwin's Radio but that's probably a really stupid thing to say since Dec's vocals are one of the main differences in the sound since Milliontown.

Dear Dead Days and Falling Down are superb ( dare I call them a "suite" since they basically run into each other?) and the tracks I'm enjoying most at the moment. Saline is gorgeous, and Toys is a perfect little song if that doesn't sound derogatory.

Wonderland, Pocket Sun and EIMA I also love but I've been loving them for months so I can't help but skip them in favour of the new stuff which does the album a disservice.  :(

I do completely know what you mean about 'bits stuck together' though, I think this is a result of having been given so much insight into the recording process and being allowed to hear little clips here and there so you can't help but go "oh, that's the bit from the blog!"

I've loved the ride with the video diaries, the myspace clips, the Tour CD, the gigs... it's been superb. I think next time around (there will be one right?!), I'll try and avoid it all and treat myself to the album completely afresh!

:D
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Tricky

You're right:
Quote from: "LivingForever"It's basically not like anything I've ever heard which is credit to the guys.
So that makes it "progressive" in the strictest sense of the word?
I think so  :)
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Tricky"You're right:
Quote from: "LivingForever"It's basically not like anything I've ever heard which is credit to the guys.
Well said that man!

Quote from: "Jem"However, I'm unapologetic about the music. I'm unapologetic about the artwork. I'm unapologetic about the Frost Reports and I'm still going to continue with it all. ;)
Even weller said, that man!
* May contain nuts.

littletog

I like the really clever way that the * has been incorporated into the pictures.

Except for the first one, which is a bit blatant.
I can see the madness perfectly from here

Wickerman

What do people mean no lyrics?  The lyrics to the instrumental version are there in their entirety, aren't they??

LivingForever

Quote from: "Tricky"You're right:

You're damn right!

The album gets better every play, by the way (and I am trying to listen to it all instead of just what's new to me!)

James
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "Gedfaz"
Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Jem, I looked all over the website for the "Hobbits Bothered" counter and can't seem to find it.  Was this an oversight?

Hilarious... and from somebody from a country with such an extensive Prog History.... not

Seriously, as I said, I'm not bothered by others opinions... and I do quite like some tracks off the IT BITES album ...excepting that hideous 'great disasters' track and I do like a lot of more modern prog... I'm just a bit dissapointed by this. Its not the length of the tracks... its how they fit together and how they progress.

Seriously thats fine I dont belong here because I sense the forum looks at things from a different viewpoint to mine and thats fine  because musical taste is very personal...

Incidentally, i wish people would lose the whole hobbit/goblin stereotype about trad prog.. where the hell did that come from.... going back to the earlier days of prog, the only mention of elves or orcs or hobbits I have located is Bo Hannsons 'Magicians Hat', Did Genesis under Gabriel do songs about hobbits? did Yes do Hobbit Songs? Do anybody else do hobbit/LOR related songs...

By reinforcing the stereotype and dissing trad prog fans in that way you do the genre a disservice...

and by sucking up you do the same for yourself... Never been minded to do the same myself...

Jem/guys... You are all quality people and musicians ...prog on dudes :)

Ged, I assure you my comment was only meant in jest - an attempt at humor that failed miserably.  I certainly meant no disrespect.  I take no issue with your view of EIMA, nor any other musical opinion.  I respect that not everyone likes the same things, as I believe the vast majority of Frost*ies do.  To each his/her own, etc, etc.

I'm not a proper prog fan, tbh.  I'm actually more into rock and I suppose that's one reason I enjoy Frost* as much as I do.  I view Frost* as more of a rock band with elements of pop and prog, which I find refreshing.  If EIMA doesn't do it for you, that's fine.  It is, after all, an experiment in mass appeal, which seems evident in its more mainstream leanings.  There are bands I love that put out albums I hate (King's X - "Ear Candy").  Just the way it goes sometimes.

I appreciate Jem's response, as well.  I wouldn't want him to compromise his artistic vision in an attempt to appease everyone.  It's restrictive, not to mention impossible.  I look forward to his future releases, whatever they may be.

And I certainly hope you don't feel any less welcome in this forum.  If we all shared the same opinion on everything, it'd be pretty boring around here.

Cheers.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

RWA

Quote from: "Wickerman"What do people mean no lyrics?  The lyrics to the instrumental version are there in their entirety, aren't they??

:mrgreen: