Started by Ecosse, January 28, 2010, 06:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecosse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su1WCZf7BaA

The first 1.20 of this video, anybody know who that is? Cheers :D
| Chris |
Twitter

Geetar

Don't know about the song- but the bloke reminded me of Clive James' old description of Schwarzenegger, when he said Ahnold looked like "a brown condom stuffed with walnuts".
This space for sale.

Nellie

I thought he looked like The Thing from Fantastic Four. I've no idea what the song is though, too distracting (in a bad way)!
It's in the post!

Trapezium Artist

I didn't realise that Jem was planning on building the Cube 2 from boulders with his bare hands  :shock:

Slightly more seriously, which (Mr) Universe do people live in who think such freaks are the epitome of manhood (although women body builders are even scarier, IMHO)? These monsters would be dead in minutes if dumped on the savannah and told to fend for themselves.

(So would I, of course, but that's because I know I'm a somewhat overweight, desk-bound manager; I'm not deceiving myself that I'm somehow "fit").

Anyway, reminds me of the infamous Hans und Franz off Saturday Night Live: "ve are here to pump you up!". Great stuff, but why can't I find a single video of them on the web that's playable outside the US ...  :(

(No, I have no idea what the music is either  :D )

catherine

Ecosse

Well these type of freaks and monsters is what my brother does as do a few of my friends.

None of us think that this is the epitome of manhood, its just what people like to do, the same as everybody on this forum listens to obscure rather weird music.

As for being dumped in a desert, you think Chris Hoy or Usain Bolt could?

Catherine - nah, Shazam cant find it :(
| Chris |
Twitter

Pedro

:shock: I've always liked you! :D

I personally can't say I see the attraction (particularly with women bodybuilders) but I have to admire the dedication such an obsession requires.

I wouldn't like to have to sit next to one of these guys on an aeroplane (I'm fairly broad but these guys would need a row of three seats to themselves and sit in the middle one!) there's no way I'd "win" the armrest jostle!

I'll go first...I'm Pedro and I'm a Prog Freak (and not designed for the desert either...dessert, maybe)!  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Trapezium Artist

Sorry, Ecosse: don't mean to turn this into a flame war ...

Then again, I actually said savannah, not desert: the allusion was to the environments in which we lived as a species 250,000 years ago, say. The point there is that people did survive there perfectly well (modulo the odd lion), but I doubt they had the physique of a body builder any more than they had mine  :D

I remain unconvinced about the argument that it's just a hobby; the Charles Atlas "kick the sand in the face of the bully, get the girl" bit surely still exists somewhere there. And the comments to that video you posted refer repeatedly to how much weight these guys can lift; that's somewhat different in implication to asking Pedro how often he can listen to The Underfall Yard in a given 24 hour period ...  ;)

Each to their own, I suppose, but still, those body builder women just don't look well at all ...  :(

Pedro

The whole album? Just over 28 times.  ;)

Ecosse

Be it savannah or sahara, my point still stands, do you think that any professional athlete/model of any variety from today could do it?

As for the outlook on is it a hobby, well, yes and no, it's all depends on how far you want to take it, as to be even a good amateur bodybuilder, it's a lifestyle (TBH, just like anything really). I think most who are really into bodybuiding to such an extent that they will compete in shows is not a "get the girl" type of attitude (As most, be it female or male) don't find it attractive at all.

That guy in the video is a far cry from anyone I know as he's a pro, not even just a pro, he's an Olympian (nothing to do with the Olypmics, rather the show called Mr Olympia, and to even enter you have to have won Mr Universe, so he's one of the elite of the bodybuilding world) so there is a huge gap between anyone whos even an extremely good amateur and someone who's a pro.

For example, here's one of my mates, he won a few shows in Scotland last year:

He's a million miles away from the guy's who compete in Mr Universe/Mr Olympia.

The how much can he lift is just like seeing a Jordan Rudess video and a fan saying "OMG how fast can that guy play?!"

On the women front, no, not my cup of tea either, but then again, would I rather look at a stick insect draped in some £200k fluff tarted up and called couture? Hell no.
| Chris |
Twitter

catherine

:shock:

Is a full body wax followed by an all-over spraying of Cuprinol obligatory?

Gman

Sadly for me my love of cake is far greater than my love of gyms!

Whilst being ripped isn't my cup of tea, I admire anyone that pursues it (or general body perfection) as I know how much work and will power is involved.

Don't know what the music is though...sorry!

Pedro

Quote from: "catherine"...all-over spraying of Cuprinol obligatory?
If you are going to staple number badges to your wood, treat it with Cuprinol?  :twisted:

catherine

Quote from: "Pedro"If you are going to staple number badges to your wood, treat it with Cuprinol?  :twisted:

That's gotta hurt...  does Cuprinol numb the pain? :mrgreen:

Ecosse

Yup, a dip in some hydrochrolic acid then a coating of Ronseal is a must or your not even allowed into the show, even as a spectator. :lol:
| Chris |
Twitter