Destroy All Monsters

Started by Dec, January 29, 2010, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mordwin

Do I detect a hint of Queensryche in there? Among much else :)

Excellent stuff Mr Burke!

Brom

Still have to get this ordered - I am Sooooo behind!  :oops:
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

catherine

Cor! There's a rather stunning review of this in CRPP. Jerry Ewing likes it - a lot!  :D

Pedro

Yes indeed, and rightly so.
Seems to think the publicity machine could do a bit more though...free adverts next time then?  ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

L33VEY

Quote from: "catherine"Cor! There's a rather stunning review of this in CRPP. Jerry Ewing likes it - a lot!  :D

And he refers to Darwin Radio's drummer Mark Westworth - he really is a talented bloke isn't he!
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

catherine

Quote from: "L33VEY"
Quote from: "catherine"Cor! There's a rather stunning review of this in CRPP. Jerry Ewing likes it - a lot!  :D

And he refers to Darwin Radio's drummer Mark Westworth - he really is a talented bloke isn't he!

Indeed! I had no idea MW played drums in DR... you learn something new every day.

MrBabou

I received my copy of Destroy All Monsters about a week ago. YAY! I listened to the album a couple of times, and I'm enjoying it. And I get a feeling it'll grow on me, and I'll be enjoying it even more. However, may I dare, I have a complaint...  :shock:

I admit I am very anal when it comes to sound quality. But is it me, or does the album sound like there's only high frequencies? The mid-range and bass levels seem way too low, for my taste anyway. I have to use the "bass boost" equalizer on my iPod to get a decent level of bass in there. Usually the bass-boost setting puts much too much bass for my taste...

But otherwise, I am happy with my purchase. Thanks Dec!
"The mind is like a parachute: it works best when it\'s open"... Frank Zappa

Mordwin

The production does feel a bit... late 80s? I've no idea if that is deliberate or not, though given quite a bit of the material reminds me of Queensryche about that time... the electronic drums may also contribute.

It's a very fine album all the same, but...

Pedro

I think it's fair to say that as a first solo album it carries both the electrifying charge of the great songs (and thus potential for great things in the future) and the slight shadow of some production lessons being learned.
I found listening on headphones to be the best experience which I am guessing could reflect how it was mixed(?).
It's still a cracking album.

catherine

Dec & the lads were really rather good at the Cambridge Rock Festival yesterday - their debut gig as a band. Here's some video of Small Hours.
 :D

Mouse

Gotta love that sparkly backdrop!  :D

D S

Nicely played.  Shame about the 'attentive' audience...  :roll:   I see you even managed to make a cameo appearance Catherine!
How were the keyboards done live?  Sequencer / backing track / MIDI pedals?  Couldn't see anyone playing them.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

gav

I've got a hunch that Pelican Man can play bass with one hand and keys with the other, but don't quote me on that... :?

[edit] Just ordered DAM throught local record shop :D [/edit]
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

PelicanMan

It's all done with mirrors!  :lol:

For the synth parts that Dec can't play with his hands 'cos he's playing guitar, (arpeggiated phrases & such) he triggers a sampler loaded with original parts from the album Protools session with midi pedals. I have a set of Roland PK-5 midi pedals controlling my synth which I tend to be busy on most of the time plus I play other keyboard parts such as synth bass with my hands along with other bits n pieces. We have no backing tracks and no sequenced parts, honest!!  :) It's all played live.......

ROCK! m/ m/
FLAMINGO DEFINITION : n. pl. fla·min·gos or fla·min·goes
1. NOT a Pelican

Pedro

I would have liked to be there but couldn't make it. Glad it went well and thanks to Catherine for the clip.

Not being funny, but the statement "it's all played live" makes me wonder at what point a triggered part from the album is considered not playing it live? A full backing track is really just a huge sample triggered before the song starts.
I don't suppose it really matters from an enjoyment point of view, Steve Thorne's sets with full backing track are triffic.
So, from the artists perspective where does professional pride set the limit on sample-length and/or quantity in a live set?