Destroy All Monsters

Started by Dec, January 29, 2010, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PelicanMan

Ooh blimey, that's a right can of worms to be opening Pedro!  ;)

I guess it's one of those subjective things that everyone has different opinions on?

m/ m/
FLAMINGO DEFINITION : n. pl. fla·min·gos or fla·min·goes
1. NOT a Pelican

gr8gonzo

I would think if the song doesn't work without it, then you trigger whatever is necessary.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Dec

It's ALL played live, that's why I have a second guitar player involved, so any time I'm playing keyboards Hywel covers guitar parts, any other keyboard melody lines Steve has it covered on bass pedals, and NONE of those are samples. The only thing that is on a sample is the intro to Signs of Life....hope that clears it up for everyone  :D

rogerg

well, there you go!!  and well done, Dec!!

Pedro

Oops. My question was aimed at live music in general but I withdraw it if anyone thinks I'm pointing it at DAM.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mouse

Hmm, interesting. I'd have thought that as long as the people on stage triggered the sound/effect themselves (via MIDI pedals or whatnot) then it's still live. At the end of the day, it's a button and a sound, which is a keyboard in its most simple form. I think as long as the musicians on stage manually trigger a sound with any appendage of their body, then it's live.

This is coming from someone who's never done a proper live gig in his life.  ;)

PelicanMan

See, worms everywhere! Never open the can of worms.....  :lol:

At the end of the day we're doing no different in terms of achieving the complete live sound to the likes of Rush or Muse. And if they can do it........

ROCK!! m/ m/
FLAMINGO DEFINITION : n. pl. fla·min·gos or fla·min·goes
1. NOT a Pelican

Pedro

They should put labels on the cans! ;)

@Dec: Thanks for clearing that up, sir.  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

johninblack

Quote from: "PelicanMan"See, worms everywhere! Never open the can of worms.....  :lol:

At the end of the day we're doing no different in terms of achieving the complete live sound to the likes of Rush or Muse. And if they can do it........

ROCK!! m/ m/

As far as I'm concerned as long as it's being done well I don't think it matters that some of it might be backing track/sample/whatever. Pedro mentioned Steve Thorne, would he be able to afford to play if he had to pay a full band? If it takes loads of people to re-create it becomes financially non-viable.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

gr8gonzo

Neil Peart's a good example. The guy's amazing live and has more triggers than a Roy Rogers gift shop.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

gav

Got my copy of Destroy All Monsters via my local record shop a few days ago, and I haven't been able to stop listening since! :D
Well done Dec and gang, and thanks for the brilliant album!

@Pedro: Headphones are definitely the way to listen to this album... Or I could put it through a 600 watt, bass heavy PA!

Hmmm... that's a thought... 8-)
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

L33VEY

New message from Dec - sprinting ahead.  Just in time for a spot at High Voltage?

http://www.decburke.com/
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age