Embarrassing Musical secret

Started by Jem, November 15, 2008, 04:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "TonyB"Kylie....

There's at least one Frostie I know of who has an alarming amount of Kylie scrobbled at last.fm.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

RWA

Quote from: "eponymous"
Quote from: "Cptncanary"
Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "Cptncanary"Squeeze
Surely not in the embarrassing section?
Quite right Sir! Same goes for The Fixx, in which Jamie West-Oram proves that you don't need massive powerchords or 15 solos to be a Guitar God  8-)
Ron!  L :shock: K!  Another Jamie West-Oram fan!  We are not alone! :D
8-)   8-)   8-)

wickedwitch

i like folk and swing and a bit of ska.  
A typical ishuffle might be bauhaus, kino, mr bungle, the damned, ella fitzgerald, red garland, 6dayriot !   go figure!

i dont like warbly rnb. sorry.

mikebass

"Actually ladies and gentlemen, we\'ve got a massive problem with one of the computers...bloody huge. It may even kill us!"

gr8gonzo

Are you sure that wasn't a frosty Coors fan?  ;)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

tomskerous

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"

There's at least one Frostie I know of who has an alarming amount of Kylie scrobbled at last.fm.

And completely unrepentatly proudly too. She's just ace. Really lovely, and can actually sing live, unlike Madonna.

From my Flickr stream:
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Pedro

Quote from: "tomskerous"
Quote from: "gr8gonzo"

And completely unrepentatly proudly too. She's just ace. Really lovely, and can actually sing live, unlike Madonna.

From my Flickr stream:
Strewth, the guy in the hamster wheel at the back of the stage must be going like the clappers to keep that lot on....!  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Rudy

Oh dear, oh dear...embarrassing musical secret?  Are you kidding me?  How much bandwidth ya got?

I've only "returned" to proggee-land in the last 3 years or so after a looong, almost 20-year hiatus.  I was simply gob-smacked to see there still WAS a scene or whatever it is!  I can't tell you all of what happened in those Lost Years but will throw out a few of the possibly weirder ones...

Juan Luis Guerra (merengue, baby!)
Uh...Gustav Mahler ( :oops: )
Annie Lennox, Diva
Almost anything by Alison Krauss (except the Robert Plant stuff)
Skinny Puppy, Too Dark Park (I have no idea why)

Dave M

That Alison Krause and Plant album is so dour .. My bro bought me tickets to the NIa gig, it was cack  :(  and I've been a big fan of planty.
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Rudy

Dave- I agree completely about that album.  I can't even make it through the whole thing--it just doesn't seem to work on so many different levels (at least for me--some folks I've chatted with love it).  I even watched a mini-doc on it that was...well, difficult to watch!  Very odd...

Dodie

Quote from: RudyUh...Gustav Mahler ( :oops: )

How could anyone be embarrassed by liking Mahler? Though I'm not so keen on his later symphonies, and that might be a road I've yet to travel on. 2-5 are my favourites.

But then what do I know? I like Asia with John Payne better on the whole than the "original" line up, and find the current band's attempts to eradicate history and conceal most of its discography downright bizarre and childish...

Cheers

David

BeyondThePale

Wow, I came into this topic to say "I liked Evanescence's second album", only to see that Jem Godfrey himself posted it first. The song "Good Enough" is really beautiful and well done. It's a much more mature effort, compared to their piss poor debut.

I also quite like this group called The Bird and The Bee, a female friend of mine showed them to me and even though it's a far cry from what I normally listen to, I find myself enjoying it more by the day. It's electronic pop I guess, idk, I'm not good at placing music like that into the proper genre.

I also like The Bee Gees, which were already mentioned too..hmm, Sarah McLachlan is pretty good too but I don't actively listen to her.

It's funny though, Frost* is a band that contains music that would normally constitute being a "guilty pleasure" for me but I have absolutely no problem with talking about them all the time.

Rudy

Quote from: "Dodie"
Quote from: "Rudy"Uh...Gustav Mahler ( :oops: )

How could anyone be embarrassed by liking Mahler? Though I'm not so keen on his later symphonies, and that might be a road I've yet to travel on. 2-5 are my favourites.

But then what do I know? I like Asia with John Payne better on the whole than the "original" line up, and find the current band's attempts to eradicate history and conceal most of its discography downright bizarre and childish...

Cheers

David

Ah well, good point, and I stand corrected.  In my experience, it's almost de rigeur in some circles to scoff at Mahler as pompous, over-blown, and--as a colleague of mine once said--"the destroyer of symphonic form".  I basically love all Mahler symphonies and song cycles, but my sentimental favorites are symphonies no. 4 and 9.  So hey: Unabashed fanboy here!

rogerg

I prefer Sibelius, but no reason to be embarrassed about Mahler!

leelustig

Quote from: "Jem"I just bought the second Evanescence album and I really like it.  :shock:
:shock:

....I think I've done worse... honestly!

I used to think Evanescence was a bad Nightwish (for those who know power metal) but nowadays I'm thinking they're both just as lame (after hearing Nightwish's latest effort with that awful new vocalist)
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere