Doctor Who

Started by Liquid, November 13, 2008, 05:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquid

Figured I'd put this here. For some reason, search had no luck.

Doctor Who. I don't understand it. It seems to be a massive part of British television interest. I am having my attention grabbed by the idea a lot, though the show is absolutely massive. Wikipedia doesn't really seem to help. It seems neat. Anyone able to shed some light on exactly why this show should be watched by a central-US Yank boy? And if so, should I just start at the very beginning and work forward, or are there different reincarnations of the show?

Geetar

I have a feeling it's best to watch them in chronological order, or as near as possible.

We love Doctor Who (Shortscale and The Queen Of All Evil are complete addicts), but explaining quite why is a bit of a problem.

Maybe it's genetic; or an excess of tea and biscuits.
This space for sale.

MikeEvs

I've never got in to DR Who it just doesn't interest me,  I've watched a few episodes of Torchwood though mainly because it's filmed in Cardiff and people I was in school with keep turning up as extras in it

Wickerman

Doctor Who is brilliant!  I've never watched every single episode from the begining (that would be impossible, since the BBC don't still have a lot of the early film-reels for the Hartnell and Troughton eras), but grew up watching random episodes repeated on the BBC and UK Gold.  It was watchin the Jon Pertwee era that really got me into it, and about 7 years ago, I the third doctor turned me from a casual fan to an addict.  I don't know whether he'd have the same effect on Americans, cause that's probably one of the show's most quintessentially English periods.  Pertwee's doctor was earthbound (see south-south-south-southern-england), so that may have contributed.

I wouldn't say there's any one definitive place to start: depends on your tastes really, but i'd either have a read through this: Wikipedia's rather comprehensive history of the programme (if you've got time on your hands), or skim through the: slightly briefer BBC one; then start with the new series, since that's the one that's most likely to get repeated broadcast in the states at the moment.  If you have a bit of a spare cash, and want to pick up a few DVDs on a whim, I think the US releases are near-identical to the UK ones, and can usually be picked up pretty cheaply on Amazon; so you could grap a couple with different doctors, and see what you prefer.

A few personal favourites for each doctor are:

William Hartnell: Dalek Invasion of Earth
Patrick Troughton: Tomb of the Cybermen / The War Games
Jon Pertwee: Spearhead from Space / The Daemons / The Sea Devils / The Three Doctors / The Green Death (but pretty much all of them really!)
Tom Baker: Genesis of the Daleks / Pyramids of Mars / The Deadly Assasin / The Talons of Weng-Chiang / City of Death
Peter Davison: Black Orchid / Earthshock / The Five Doctors / Resurrection of the Daleks / The Caves of Androzani
Colin Baker: The Two Doctors / Revelation of the Daleks
Sylvester McCoy: Remembrance of the Daleks / Battlefield / The Curse of Fenric
Paul McGann: The TV movie's not great, but McGann would have gone on to make a very good doctor.  I'm not really familiar with the audio adventures or radio plays he did, but someone a bit geekier than me may be able to help you out.
Christopher Eccleston: The Unquiet Dead / The Empty Child-The Doctor Dances (2 parter)
David Tennant: Lots...  I do love Tennant.  He's brought a lot of warmth and enthusiasm to the role, and owns a copy of my book.  I'll be sad to see him go next year.  Anyway; Christmas Invasion / Tooth and Claw / School Reunion / Girl in the Fireplace / Rise of the Cybermen-Age of Steel (2 Parter) / Idiot's Lantern / Impossible Planet-The Satan Pit (2 Parter) / Army of Ghosts-Doomsday (2 Parter) / The Shakespeare Code / Human Nature-Family of Blood (a BRILLIANT 2 parter!) / Blink / Utopia / Time Cash (mini episde w/ Peter Davison) / The Unicorn and the Wasp / Silence in the Library-Forest of the Dead (2 Parter) / Turn Left-Stolen Earth-Journey's End (overblown and sentimental, but otherwise pretty cool 3 parter).

So, that should only cost you several hundred quid then...

Oooh, I did enjoy writing that.  Now, back to some REAL work!

Wickerman

I hope my heavy dose of geekiness and love for this show hasn't killed the thread.  Thread's about Doctor Who should run for as long as the show has...

rogerg

Tom Baker was the one I saw most, during the time it ran on my public broadcast station.  late Saturday afternoons, soft-shell tacos from Taco Johns, and a bit of herbal supplement made for a great day.   8-)

Wickerman

Quote from: "rogerg"Tom Baker was the one I saw most, during the time it ran on my public broadcast station.  late Saturday afternoons, soft-shell tacos from Taco Johns, and a bit of herbal supplement made for a great day.   8-)

Don't they still?!

Geetar

Quote from: "rogerg"a bit of herbal supplement made for a great day

Yes, I find that Bach's Rescue Remedy is quite helpful at times.

And camomile tea, of course. Most soothing.
This space for sale.

rogerg

Quote from: "Geetar"
Quote from: "rogerg"a bit of herbal supplement made for a great day

Yes, I find that Bach's Rescue Remedy is quite helpful at times.

And camomile tea, of course. Most soothing.

exactly!   ;)

Liquid

Ah, thank you.

Looks like, though, that Doctor Who is such an extensive show that even the brief summaries of its runs confuse me.

Hehe, I said mentioned briefs and runs in the same sentence. Yay.

Wickerman

Quote from: "Liquid"Ah, thank you.

Looks like, though, that Doctor Who is such an extensive show that even the brief summaries of its runs confuse me.

Hehe, I said mentioned briefs and runs in the same sentence. Yay.

Haha... you should write for 'Scrubs'.