Main Menu

MicroKorg

Started by El_Mayonnaise, March 22, 2010, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

Just wondering if anyones got any experience with the MicroKorg, XL or otherwise. I bought one not too long ago but have not had chance to really get to grips with it (Uni student).

Any cool tricks or idea that you have? Favourite Pre-sets?

Oh and thanks for finally letting me on this absolutely spiffing forum  :lol:

catherine

Welcome, EM! Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cuppa and help yourself to a biscuit.

Pedro

Yes, welcome indeed.  :)

I can't offer any advice on the Micro-Korg XL (hmm....should that be "Milli-Korg"?) but I think there are some on here who may have used one.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

SerFox

I considered it, but for the price it seems to do very little. I was gonna go for a Waldorf Blofeld, but in the end I bought Massive and Absynth 5 for the same price as a Microkorg XL. Theres a thread on it..somewhere.

El_Mayonnaise

I did see that. I gotta admit I'm very novice when it comes to these things. I'm hoping that lurking around the mystical caverns of the Free God will enlighten me in some way.

I'm slowly picking it up (patches, midi etc etc) but its really more for entertainment than music making purposes. Anything that makes a noise interests me (audiophile?)

Anyway I'll probably be round a bit more now that I've finally been accepted.

And maybe my dream of Jem talking to me will come true :3

catherine

Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"Anyway I'll probably be round a bit more now that I've finally been accepted.

The more biscuits you eat, the rounder you'll get!

SerFox

On your sneaky little note, Jem's a busy bee, but he's a friendly chap. I learned quickly that this isn't like the Jordan Rudess board or RHCP, or the fan page for Roger Taylor from Duran Duran (:D) where it's very much a bizarre popularity contest to get noticed by the focus of the board, we're all friends here and there is no hierarchy, besides what kind of biscuit you are :)

Make yourself comfortable and a have a laugh. Heck, if you have any specific questions for Jem or the band, there's the Ask Frost* forum, or send 'em a PM :)

On topic however, if what you're looking for is just a bit of fun, you should consider Korg's new sample station. It's apparently a jolly good amount of fun, and it's a bit more accessible than just a standard synthesizer, the blofeld, while very versatile, is quite complicated. So for fun, yes, I'd go with either the sampler, or the original Microkorg. The XL takes itself a bit too seriously.

Jem

Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"Oh and thanks for finally letting me on this absolutely spiffing forum  :lol:

Welcome muchly mate and I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sorry for the delay in finding you. I waded through 13 pages of spam applications before I saw "El Mayonnaise". I thought, "that can't be anything other than a genuine request!". Marvellous name. :lol:  8-)

El_Mayonnaise

Bah now after researching that a little bit, i really would like  :roll:

I think its fantastic that Jem even does take the time to post on here and chat with us. Its so friendly its brilliant.

Now that he's said hi I'll be orrff  :lol:

Edit:
Think I'm gonna go for the Microsampler. After looking at some of the videos it looks so much fun.

So if anyones after a MicroKorg XL  :lol:

Bokkie

just wanted to say:" Welcome"
Dunno anything about keyboards, but your name does trigger me somehow in thinking about all sorts of delicious homemade food :D
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

El_Mayonnaise

Another change of heart.

I really don't need it. Or the XL.

Sticking to drums (what I actually play) and would probably be best to get myself closer to my dream kit.

Just a bit of gearlust on my behalf.

Bokkie

Gearlust is a common (dis?)function that you see a lot around here :) .
It's one of the side effects of being a musician :D .
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

El_Mayonnaise

Well looks like I bidded on a MicroSampler on good old ebay and while tossing and turning in bed (mostly tossing) thinking about it, I missed the bid retraction time by 3 minutes.

So looks like I might be buying one after all  :lol:

Mouse

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Mayonnaise! I was looking at getting a Microkorg XL around January-time, but I decided against it after feeling the quality of the keys, casing and all. That put me right off, which is a shame because I reckon it could make some top class noise. But I bought a Fender Stratocaster instead, which immediately neutralised any other feelings of gear lust.  :)

...But not for long, as I've resumed dreaming about a Fantom X6 I found online for cheap...

El_Mayonnaise

Well I'm a drummer first you see and for something like £200, that gets me a nice big metal circle which can make 3 sounds.
But with keyboards it can get you so much more interesting options :roll:

Oh and I suppose being a student doesn't really help financially.