Drummers! Be where are you?

Started by El_Mayonnaise, April 05, 2010, 02:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

Well pipe up then fellow drummers. I know there's a few of you lurking here.

I myself am a drummer of 7 years being a teacher for one of those. My kit consists of a Mapex M Birch (which I bought precisely two weeks before the new Meridian line replaced it) and an array of Sabian cymbals and cheaper Stagg cymbals for experiments (stacks etc).

I'm currently looking into a secondary crash but would like to know if anyone has any advice to advise me with.

Also the 14 new Mapex snares. Any one got one? I quite like the sound of the fast back.

And I'd hate to be chatting bout all this here acoustic-y stuff on such a wondrous synthic-y forum.

So the Korg Wavedrum? Yes it's back if you hadn't heard  :D

Pajter

*raises hand

Great kit choice! Mapex user here too. Although it's an old V kit, it serves me well. I'm just too poor to buy new stuff. Ah well, it's the playing that counts right. :)

I'm also the proud owner of a Mapex Black Panther 14" Deep Forest Walnut snare. I love it!

I've been playing for about 8 years now. Mostly self-taught. Studied at the Dutch "Rockacademy" for a few months. But that's the only formal training I've ever had. Picked up some good stuff there though.

Anyhoo, I quite like the sound of Sabian AA crashes. Of course it really is a matter
of taste, but you could give them a try.

El_Mayonnaise

I agree Mapex really are spectacular.
I'm really liking the whole idea of naming 14 snares such as Phat Bob, Phantom, Velvetone etc It's really giving me the urge to collect them all. Good marketing scheme by mapex there.

As for cymbals, oh I know about the personal preference. Seems to be the case for any instrument. I currently have aa HHX Evolution 16" crash, 20" HH rock ride, 8" paragon splash and some 14" xs20 hats. Would it be wise to upgrade the hats before I get another crash? The xs20 are cast and don't give the sound of cheap brassy cymbals so I'm not too worried at the moment. I might go for AA hats in the future and an AAX (perhaps studio) crash.

Then I'll have one of every range Sabian does  :lol:

Pajter

I think you should upgrade whatever sound you want changed. If you're not happy with your hats, I'd most probably get new ones, before adding another cymbal. I'm using pretty cheap Zildjian ZBT+ hats, but I love the sound! They sound so tight, and colourful! I actually think that if these break one day, I'll try and get a same set. Even if I had a lot of money, I probably wouldn't buy a more expensive hi-hat.

I hadn't heard about the new Mapex snares yet. Then again, I haven't been following it at all. If I do, I'll only get annoyed at all the cool stuff I could buy if I had more money. :P

RacingHippo

What-ho!

As mentioned elsewhere, mine's an ancient (I bought it secondhand for £300 in 1990, and I suspect it was a good 10 years old then) Yamaha 9000 series; 8", 10", 12", 13" rack toms and a 16" floor. It originally had 2 22"x14" basses but one has permanent residence on a shelf in the garage as I use a double-pedal instead; less to lug around and less posey.
Cymbals are a mish-mash of Zildjian (K hats, an 8" and a 14" custom), Sabian (Neil Peart dog ride - yeah I'm a fanboy), Paiste (the original 16" & 18" 2002s it came with) and Vibra (I only know of one other person in the world who owns one of these - an 11" splash, and I adore it).
A few years ago I invested in a Gibraltar rack to hang it all off, which makes set-up way quicker. And there's a set of optional 6/8/10 Rototototoms just for badness  :twisted:

Quote from: "Pajter"I think you should upgrade whatever sound you want changed.
That's dangerous talk. I can easily go off sounds if I hear something I like....
I'd love a new snare (I use a very bog standard Pearl) but there's too many other things that need the cash spending on them :(
* May contain nuts.

Pajter

Quote from: "RacingHippo"And there's a set of optional 6/8/10 Rototototoms just for badness  :twisted:

Rotototototoms are great!

Quote from: "RacingHippo"That's dangerous talk. I can easily go off sounds if I hear something I like....

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that.

El_Mayonnaise

I think he means that you can buy something and then go off it straight away, leaving you with a bit of wasted money. I think.

Yeah I'm happy with the hats. They're bright and crisp and cheery  :D

Hippo I caught your Kino cover, was good and got a good look at your kit too.

I'll do a cover one day. Maybe.

RWA

Mapex rules this place, huh?  :?

I've given up on acoustic drumming a few years ago for recording purposes. I had a fab Tama Starclassic Performer kit with Paiste Signature cymbals. Now I use a expended Roland TD6 kit combined with Toontrack SD2. Best drum sound(s) I've ever used.

But my son has picked up drumming so now there's a "real" kit in the house again; a Mapex obviously. Second hand Saturn kit that came with Meinl Classics cymbals. Those Meinl cymbals are highly recommended btw; the Classics serie is very affordable and sound very good.  :)

Pajter

Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"I think he means that you can buy something and then go off it straight away, leaving you with a bit of wasted money. I think.

Oh I see. Well that's true. :)

Quote from: "RWA"But my son has picked up drumming so now there's a "real" kit in the house again; a Mapex obviously. Second hand Saturn kit that came with Meinl Classics cymbals. Those Meinl cymbals are highly recommended btw; the Classics serie is very affordable and sound very good.  :)

Very nice! Saturn also has such pretty finishes.

Drarok

Avast ye!

I have no idea what my acoustic kit is - it's been on the shelves in the garage for aaaages now, I only need the snare and hats/cymbals when down the practise studio. I'm a Zildjian fanboy and again, no idea what selection of random cymbals I've cobbled together, but my favourite is this weird contraption: http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=2604 :!: :D

I've also picked up a second hand Roland TD-6 for recording, it's blummin' marvellous for the price!

Been drumming on and off for about 11 years now, surprisingly! I must say I don't think I'm anywhere as good as some of the other folks on here, though. :(

RacingHippo

Quote from: "RacingHippo"I can easily go off sounds if I hear something I like....
Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"I think he means that you can buy something and then go off it straight away, leaving you with a bit of wasted money. I think.
Nonono... I could easily go off most of the sounds I'm getting from my current kit if I hear something new that sounds "better" to me  :mrgreen:
Retail therapy. Can't beat it.

Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"Hippo I caught your Kino cover, was good and got a good look at your kit too.
I've heard that the vid of the day - including LDP by Gman + wife, flamadiddle and myself - is rather good, and available for download Real Soon Now.

I have to admit, I've never played a Mapex kit. Clearly I'm missing out...

And Drarok - that's not a cymbal. It's a bloody flywheel.
* May contain nuts.

Drarok

Click the button to have a listen. Doesn't really do it justice, it's got more of a trashy bin-lid quality to it in person. I love it!

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Drarok"Click the button to have a listen.
I did!
Quote from: "Drarok"Doesn't really do it justice, it's got more of a trashy bin-lid quality to it in person. I love it!
Ahh. I must admit I thought it sounded unexpectedly like a fairly shortish crash.  Maybe they put the wrong sample up.
* May contain nuts.

Blunders73

Hiya, The Mapex snares are just stunning

here's a vid me and Whitey did with them a few months ago. I'm using the sledgehammer at the moment, it sounds GREAT !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBH3maSHY4

Blunders

Mooncat

Another tub thumper here!!!! :D
I too have a Mapex (Pro M) and also a Premier Genista, plus a Roland TD8 and SPD-S.

I'm also a big fan of the new Mapex snares - saw Steve White recently using the Retrosonic and it sounded IMMENSE!!!!

Cymbal-wise I'm also a Sabian/Stagg man, and would recommend the Stagg DH and SH series ;)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy