North Atlantic Oscillation – Grappling Hooks

Started by grif, April 05, 2010, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grif

I took a chance on buying this album after it got a great review in the latest CR presents Prog magazine. Initially I was bit taken aback as it wasn't what I was expecting but my initial doubts soon passed and I'm finding this to be a wonderful album that gets better with each spin, highly recommended.

ChrisX

Aah.. NAO.... what I heard from the album sound incredibly intriguing. And besides that it is a release on the K-Scope label that puts out some really tasty modern prog these days. The Nosound album A Sense Of Loss was one of my highlights of last year and no-man's glorious Schoolyard Ghosts is also on that label.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Mouse

KScope have some gems on their label, and they put together some really nice packages for their artists, even if they're brand new and unknown. From what I've heard, Grappling Hooks sounds like a right blinder. One to order, definitely.  :)

Phrog

I had the pleasure of seeing them live last year supporting Porcupine Tree in Wolverhampton, wasn't sure what to make of them at first but they grew on me as the set went on. Anyway, I've since had chance to listen to the album on Spotify and it's a bit of a corker! Definitely one to keep an eye on in future.

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Phrog"I had the pleasure of seeing them live last year supporting Porcupine Tree in Wolverhampton, wasn't sure what to make of them at first but they grew on me as the set went on. Anyway, I've since had chance to listen to the album on Spotify and it's a bit of a corker! Definitely one to keep an eye on in future.

I was at the same gig and picked up the EP after their set :)

El_Mayonnaise

I too bought their ep at Wolvo  :D

I'll be getting this album too.

Bert

Ordered it form Burning Shed today. Looking forward to getting into it.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

DannySoisSage

I've had Drawing Maps From Memory on pretty much constant rotation since reading this thread. Thanks!

Jem

I picked this up last week on the recommendation here and I think it's a belter. I've had it on in the car since it arrived and that whole end bit from "Some Blue HIve" keeps going round in my head when I'm trying to get to sleep. Love it! :D

Thanks for the heads up chaps.

Bokkie

The atmosphere reminds me a bit of the album "Zoot woman" by Zoot woman, sounds great though.
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

Jem

I think I might mean the title track actually. The 6/4 track with the Virus riff at the front (same as the one from The Block by Man On Fire - whatever happened to them?!).

I've been playing it in the car so I don't actually know what the songs are called.  :?

Bokkie

As far as i can hear, you probably mean nr.4.  Since i buy prog albums i don't even try to memorize the track names; too hard and a waste of perfectly good brainspace ;)
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

metalmatt

Thanks for the recommendation guys, got the chance to see them at Soundcity in Liverpool and they were great (apart from the mandatory live sound issues)! I definitely suggest you see them live if you get the chance.
"It\'s Phil Collins!... What\'s that Phil you need help with some lyrics, you think she has an Invisible Touch? Well you better ask her and find out."

L33VEY

BUMP

After this week the gig tickets are looking a bit thin on the ground.
I see that this lot are supporting Anathema (Classic Rock's 2010 Album of the year) in London on 17 Feb next year.

Should be good in a Frost*reduced year
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age