Andy's drum kit(s?)

Started by kyuwert, November 19, 2008, 03:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyuwert

His ability as a drummer aside, Andy has some of the best sounding drums I've ever head. From his solo tracks, to Phi Yaan-Zek's "Anomalies" album (which I'm still trying to get my hands on, but have heard some tracks online and Andy's drumming is ace and sounds phenomenal) and EIMA of course. I listened to his contribution to Martin Orford's album to find that the drums were mixed quite low... fitting to the album I'm sure, but not fitting for me. ;)

I'm certainly not a drummer and I don't know very much aside from that I've heard some wildly varying drum sounds from across the musical spectrum, but whether its the drums themselves or the way they're recorded, I enjoy the sound from Andy's the most. They sound very real, detailed, strong... and have that certain something I'm not sure how to describe.

Ok, fanboy mode off!

Pedro

Maybe this from the old forum will help? Of course, Andy could always update his kit list on here.... ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Dave M

Well he doesn't tickle them, the way he plays them is part of his sound too, and I agree with you, he is a heck of a drumbot !
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

SerFox

From the drum recording sessions report I did note his setup was quite unique from what I could see, playing without toms, and yes they do feature in places on the album but all in all the whole album is without toms and I find this deeply refreshing.

Jem

There's no toms at all actually. The tom-esque thing on the Secret Song is actually a BFD Military bass drum sample triggered by Andy's snare take. I took the snare take off the final mix so it's just the triggered sample.

Mikey

Quote from: "Jem"There's no toms at all actually.
He was here the other day
I used to have a signature

SerFox

Quote from: "Jem"There's no toms at all actually. The tom-esque thing on the Secret Song is actually a BFD Military bass drum sample triggered by Andy's snare take. I took the snare take off the final mix so it's just the triggered sample.

I love you  :)

ChrisX

Quote from: "SerFox"From the drum recording sessions report I did note his setup was quite unique from what I could see, playing without toms, and yes they do feature in places on the album but all in all the whole album is without toms and I find this deeply refreshing.

Unique maybe in prog-circles but in fact it just looked like a very basis rock and roll drumset but with an added snare and some more cymbals most notibly some kick ass China's  :)
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

RacingHippo

Quote from: "ChrisX"Unique maybe in prog-circles but in fact it just looked like a very basis rock and roll drumset but with an added snare and some more cymbals most notibly some kick ass China's  :)
Um..... I think you ought to take a look at this video  :mrgreen:
* May contain nuts.

Mikey

& just like Jem he makes it look so easy
I used to have a signature

RacingHippo

He's part-human, part-drumbot, part boondoxotron.
* May contain nuts.