EIMA discussion and appriciation thread

Started by Qjimbo, November 16, 2008, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerg

Quote from: "Gedfaz"'In the Air tonight'

that is a great song.  very well constructed.

Quote from: "Gedfaz"Wind & Wuthering.

one of my favorite Genesis albums.  I discovered them from this album, after they played on American Bandstand.  no idea of the year.

gotta love Frosties*!!!   8-)

Gedfaz

Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "Gedfaz"'In the Air tonight'

that is a great song.  very well constructed.

Quote from: "Gedfaz"Wind & Wuthering.

one of my favorite Genesis albums.  I discovered them from this album, after they played on American Bandstand.  no idea of the year.

gotta love Frosties*!!!   8-)

W&W was my favourite 'Collins Genesis' album... Though I did like bits of Duke and 'Genesis' and 'ATOTT'. I think my biggest problem with 'In the air tonight' was that I bought it as a then Genesis fan about the time when they had released 'Spot the Pigeon' (I think) which had the excellent 'Inside & Out' on it... so I was kind of primed for a decent solo ... but when you get that with 'Me & Virgil' I think, on the back I went into a major downer. liked the suspense of ITAT but grew tired of it quite swiftly. I was dissapointed with all the Genesis solos to be honest except for Mr Hacketts first few (Up to Cured) and TB 'Curious Feeling'. I thought 'Acting Very Strange' by MR was hilariously bad. Dont think TB has done anything of note progwise since 'Curious Feeling'.

rogerg

I need to go back and revisit all the early, PG-Genesis.  I came on late, in the middle years, and that's what I love, ThreeSidesLive, Duke, etc., are Genesis to me, and I have trouble with the very early stuff.  but I am very open, just haven't made the effort. yet.

Me and Virgil is an odd song, no doubt, but really sounds like nothing else that I can think of.  very melancholy, and a bit profound, actually.

Gedfaz

Quote from: "rogerg"I need to go back and revisit all the early, PG-Genesis.  I came on late, in the middle years, and that's what I love, ThreeSidesLive, Duke, etc., are Genesis to me, and I have trouble with the very early stuff.  but I am very open, just haven't made the effort. yet.

Me and Virgil is an odd song, no doubt, but really sounds like nothing else that I can think of.  very melancholy, and a bit profound, actually.

Mmmm maybe I am a 'hobbit' but i think I'd prefer to be a 'dinosaur' ..46 years and been progging for 36 of them. I can understand how its difficult to go backwards to Gabriel era if you didnt live through it though... it was just EVERYTHING to me back then...

Sorry... I'm off topic again...

I like the sentimental melancholic feel that Jem pops into this album... either in the stringy bits or the piano slices... its almost like a theme running through... I like that.

Philadelphia

Gedfaz: You should see the avatar picture I use for another forum. A friend of mine drew a quite impressive beard on it. Sadly, there's no beard there in real life (though imagine how cool it would have been!).
And as for being a fan of Pedro, well, is there anyone here who isn't a fan of his?

Oh, and the Face Value album cover is the scariest one there is, I think. (:-/
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

Dave M

Dear Mr Godfrey
I have a complaint.
I have had this new long player of yours for 24 hours now, and I've listened to most of it .. well the intro's anyway.
My point is, when I woke this morning, I found to my utter disgust and intense disappointment that I was the same overweight, middle aged, married Frost fan I was yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that etc ... EIMA has failed to change my life in anyway what so ever, consequently I demand a full refund !
To cap it all, I scanned your so called "booklet" and found no reference whatsoever to your inside trouser leg measurement .... what do you have to say for yourself now huh ?
At the very least I was expecting the credit crunch to have been solved and to find my christmas shopping completed for me but no .. all I have are these ridiculously good songs to entertain me in my rather dull existence.. you guys should be ashamed of yourselves ... raising our expectations as you have.
Prog rock ? ...  my arse !! Where are the bloody mellontrons for f*cks sake ? .. turns out EIMA is just a bunch of great songs, played by fabulous musicians ... how very dare you Sir !
Dave
(Disgusted of Droitwich)
 :D  :lol:
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Philadelphia"Sadly, there's no beard there in real life
Well, there's nowhere for a beard to grow what with that guitar growing on your chin.
* May contain nuts.

Djm

The whole album is ace.  But I knew just from the clips that "Dear Dead Days" was going to be a giant monster that would destroy the small Japanese village of prog awesomeness in its path like a prog Godzilla.

It did not disappoint.  EIMA rocks, and Dear Dead Days is an all-timer.
No extra charge. \";)\"

Philadelphia

Quote from: "RacingHippo"
Well, there's nowhere for a beard to grow what with that guitar growing on your chin.

If you look closely you'll find that it's actually growing out of my nostril.
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

Djm

Quote from: "eponymous"Progzilla... what a damn fine alias that would have made... damn... :lol:

Oh, no
There goes Kino!
Go, go Progzilla!

Call Jem and JM!  We have the name for their next project together!
No extra charge. \";)\"

gr8gonzo

...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

leelustig

Dude... why is there a new thread for EIMA discussion and appreciation!?
I clearly already started one, and its clearly better than this one.
Down with this thread.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

Dave M

Quote from: "Philadelphia"
Quote from: "RacingHippo"

If you look closely you'll find that it's actually growing out of my nostril.

Are you sure the pic wasnt the result of a nasty accident with super glue ?
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Ecosse

Having just given it a listen through, I've gotta say, Dear Dead Days is spaffing awesome!

The whole album is definately a winner for me and gets a healthy (or not so healthy really) 10 out of 10 teacakes.

| Chris |
Twitter

Ross

Yep, I got the album on the 14th (as I pre-ordered! :)) and I have been listening through a few times now;

On first listen, it was pretty awesome. Since then, it's basically just got better each time!
It just sounds, great, you can really hear the time that has gone into every single bar. Even if the music was terrible (which it definitely isn't!), the work that's gone into the production would be enough :)

Thanks Jem & co! :)