madfiddler's pre-mix TDL solo

Started by gr8gonzo, May 10, 2010, 03:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

I'm sure some of you have heard this already, but thought I'd post it for those you haven't.

//http://www.madfiddler.co.uk/audio/Frost_TheDividingLine_madfiddlerSolo.mp3
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

Pedro

This lives some way "behind" Tara in the mix, doesn't it?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Brom

THAT is frigging brilllliant.  :D

I'll be playing it to Miss brom tonite, however she is still deffo following the classical route at present, and as much as she likes Frost* thinks that TDL is "out of control"  :D but IMHO there is nothing wrong with trying to to broaden those horizons.  ;)

OK, I'm going back for another go, Very nice one MF.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

RacingHippo

I never thought I'd say this about a violin solo but.... RAWK!!

It's Mad.
And very, very fiddley.
* May contain nuts.

gr8gonzo

I imagine the phone call included Jem saying, "You bring the fiddley, I'll bring the widdly."

Pedro

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"I imagine the phone call included Jem saying, "You bring the fiddley, I'll bring the widdly."

"Sounds like my kind of music"

EvilDragon

Wait, this is actually a violin?

Or just Jem's V-Synth? :P

Pedro

The sample in the first post of this thread is indeed MadFiddler Mark's violin.

I cannot say with any certainty which other bits of TDL (that sound like violin) are actually violin, we may never know - such is Jem's (cape-less) wizardy with the Synth of V.

You have to have ears like a visually impaired hawk to hear very much of this particular solo on TDL but being able to hear it separately is a real treat.

EvilDragon

Quote from: "Pedro"You have to have ears like a visually impaired hawk to hear very much of this particular solo on TDL but being able to hear it separately is a real treat.

Heh, Jem makes his mixes too damn busy. Milliontown sounded much better than EIMA to me... in some songs off EIMA there is simply too much going around at once, and we have only so much dynamic range to pick up. For example, the last song, when distortion kicks in, drums are so terribly overcompressed I can't continue listening (on headphones). Which is a shame, since I respect Jem's skills. But EIMA did not sound as good as Milliontown, mainly because of too busy a mix (depending on song)...

madfiddler

Hehe - just saw this. Thanks for the kind words all. It's, imo, the best solo I think I've done - and hadn't done any recording for a few years so all that bottled up frustration came out in those 32 bars  :twisted:

gr8gonzo

Thanks for posting it on your site. I would have liked to hear more of that in the final mix. ooo! that gives me an idea...

madfiddler

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Thanks for posting it on your site. I would have liked to hear more of that in the final mix. ooo! that gives me an idea...

lol - no... you shouldn't!! haha

Drarok

... holy cow!

Where is this in the song, I've never noticed that at all!

Pedro

It's behind Tara's speech ("Ladies & Gentlemen, you can relax...").
You can hear some of the high notes towards the end and the last two notes of it mark the ...3-4 count into the "You are all lions" bit.
I think it was a collision of brilliant ideas and one had take a back seat. A tough call but the boss always makes the right one. :mrgreen: