Steven Wilson's Insurgentes

Started by PaulBM, November 17, 2008, 01:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philadelphia

I do believe I spotted a camera or two. (:-)
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

PaulBM

Quote from: "Bert"Apparently BS has moved to bigger premises, so it seems to be going well; I joked that he should get SW down to Norwich for a little No Man/BS club gig like the one you went to, and he wasn't completely anti the idea but said his and SW's schedules were so crammed now for 2009 that it would be a little while before they could do anything else.

No Man at St. Andrews Hall would be great.
Fond memories of gigs at that venue, one of the first times I saw Marillion was there. I vividly remember, Fish in army uniform 'machine gunning' us with the mic stand during Forgotten Sons. You had to be there. ;)

MikeEvs

My copy has been sent from Burning Shed :D

catherine

Quote from: "MikeEvs"My copy has been sent from Burning Shed :D

Mine too!  :D

kaide

Im really looking forward for this as a huge PT fan. probably ordering it for christmas :)

leelustig

Does anybody agree that the last Porc Tree full length was really weak?
The EP after that was really sick though.. Love that song Normal.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

BeyondThePale

Normal was the only good song on that EP. I thought Fear of a Blank Planet was pretty solid. I saw it in its entirety live, twice. @_@ Anesthetize is such an incredible song, as is the title track, and Way Out Of Here.

Anyway, to get back on topic, this album leaked out onto the internet very recently(Like, today), and I gave it a listen. It's not bad at all, but it seems a little out there for me. Steven Wilson's always been one for soundscapes and atmosphere, and I can't enjoy music like that if I'm sober. It just doesn't affect me the right way. Once I get paid next week I will definitely be ordering it though, I love me some Steven Wilson :D

PaulBM

Quote from: "leelustig"Does anybody agree that the last Porc Tree full length was really weak?
The EP after that was really sick though.. Love that song Normal.

Nope, Fear of a Blank Planet is now my favourite album of theirs.  8-)
Anesthetize is just superb. But there have been so many great PTree songs over the years it's tough to single them out... apart from Anesthetize. ;)

Philadelphia

Another fan of FoABP here. My list of favourite PT albums looks something like this:
In Absentia & FoABP (can't choose a favourite between the two)
Stupid Dream
Signify
Deadwing
Lightbulb Sun
The Sky Moves Sideways

I'll end it there as it becomes tricky with all the different odd albums they've released that may or may not "count" as proper studio ones.
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

leelustig

Quote from: "BeyondThePale"Steven Wilson's always been one for soundscapes and atmosphere, and I can't enjoy music like that if I'm sober. It just doesn't affect me the right way.
That's cause you're used to listening to it f*ed up!  :mrgreen:
Boy do I know how that is...
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

BeyondThePale

Music when you're...intoxicated is the best music.

One of my favorite songs to listen to while under the influence is Porcupine Tree's ".3", GOD is that song awesome.

MikeEvs

My Insurgentes package arrived yesterday and a might fine package it is too

Bert

Quote from: "Philadelphia"Another fan of FoABP here. My list of favourite PT albums looks something like this:
In Absentia & FoABP (can't choose a favourite between the two)
Stupid Dream
Signify
Deadwing
Lightbulb Sun
The Sky Moves Sideways

I'll end it there as it becomes tricky with all the different odd albums they've released that may or may not "count" as proper studio ones.

I think FoABP is pretty good, but for me In Absentia is a better collection of songs.

My fave is Signify.

That said, all this is marginal - I reckon Steven Wilson has got to be one of the best songwriters around today. And as for the production skills, his records sound so fantastic. I recommend any of the 5.1 surround versions - stunning.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

catherine

My Insurgetes has arrived - and it is a stunning package. I see that there's one up on eBay already for £500!

Sadly I will have to wait until Saturday night before I can listen to it properly, and watch the DVD, but I am looking forward to it greatly.

PaulBM

Yup, ours arrived yesterday also (it beat EMIA), an excellent package. My wife nearly grabbed it for Santa to hold for a month!!!
We have avoided a quick listen too, it'll need a full 5.1 listen I think.  ;)