Pro Tools/Plug-Ins Problem

Started by Mouse, May 26, 2010, 09:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouse

*Alert! Alert! Gear moron detected. Please treat with care, simple words and explain preferably with colour crayons.*

Good evensong, chaps! My friend on Monday upgraded his home work PC from Windows XP to Windows 7. All was going reasonably swimmingly until it came to installing a few Spectrasonics plug-ins. Installation went fine, but Pro Tools can't see them, and so his problem is revealed.

I admit that I'm completely in the dark about these things (and was nearly asleep at the time), so I don't know exactly what was tried. I do know that he tried changing the directories that the plug-ins were installed into (if that makes sense), but to no avail. Pro Tools still turns a blind eye to them.

I don't suppose anyone has any ideas/suggestions as to a remedy for this little problem? Again, I don't know exactly what was tried or any technicalities, but I can relay instructions and that sort of information. Any help would be gratefully appreciated and rewarded with biscuits.  :)

Love and huggles,

- Mouse (gear twit)

Jem

I think I know the problem here, the same thing happened to me on my new Mac. I did the install and nothing showed up in the plug in list. Basically I think your chum needs to go to the Spectrasonics website and download all the latest updates for the plug ins he's using.

I can't absolutely guarantee that this is the solution for Windows 7 as I'm on a Mac, but in my case, it was basically a software update (that overwrote the plug in that came on the DVD) to cope with Snow Leopard. I'm guessing that the same might be applicable for the upgrade to 7 from XP.

It's my best guess anyway. Good luck.  :D

Pedro

Sounds like wise words. Spectrasonics gear became 64-bit capable on both platforms in a recent-ish update.
I've been fanatically updating Omnisphere with every new patch but I'm still in 32-bit land - tha's plenty fer the likes o' me.
My FireWire soundcard won't ever do Win7 (thanks Tascam) so no OS upgrade for me anytime soon.

Tempted by Spectrasonics' Trilian but that's pure gear lust (if such a thing can be 'pure') cos I've hardly used Trilogy.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mouse

Cheers, Jem! I'll pass on the advice and I'll also do a quick runaround to see if there's anything extra to add. I think an upgrade was suggested at the time, but Worst Case Senario syndrome had set in by that time and the whole process had been shelved for the evening. I owe you biscuits, sir!  :D

Oh, I am so very much looking forward to going through this when I build my own PC later in the year...  :roll:  :lol:

EVP

I started on PT with windoze XP but it's been years and I've been both a Mac and Spectrasonics guy
for like 4 years now. I wish I could help.  :(

Jem

Mouse

Ah yes, it did indeed! I think the problem was down to the plug-ins being installed in the 64-bit section and not the 32-bit one. Something along those lines. Anyway, yes it is indeed sorted now. And downloading the updates helped too, I think. I really should learn more about these things so that I don't sound like an arse when trying to explain it in a probably wrong fashion.  :?  :lol:

Thanks again, Jem!  :D

Jem

hurrah!

not sure if I did anything to actually help, but a problem shared and all that... :D