What's your bestest Frost* gig?

Started by Ash, June 19, 2010, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash

Apologies to those who have not seen them live.

I'm not sure if this is what the "gigs" section is for but  :?:

So - what whas your bestest Frost* gig and why?
Ash
xxx

Tricky

Out of the 3 Frost* gigs I've been to...
The Scala, Islington and Summer's End,
... probably the other one - i.e 'an esoteric evening'  8-) 'cos it was more like a bunch of mates just arseing around and having enormous fun.

(but Summer's End for the real Frostie gigs)
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Trapezium Artist

I've been to four, I think: Cardiff Point with Spock's, Summer's End, The Peel Christmas gig, and Southampton with DT.

The first was a support slot and can't really compete, even if it was very good.

The second was fabulous and the bouncing wooden floor as we all bopped along still sticks in my mind.

But the third was the best gig of any kind I've been to in donkey's years: brilliant music, brilliant atmosphere, and what a laugh ...  :D  Plus my wife was there too, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

(The fourth was a poor gig to my ears; the sound was atrocious. But it was nevertheless greatly enlivened by my having delurked and meeting a few fellow Frost*ies [BBS, Cynthia's Mallet, and DS among them, if I recall correctly], as well as having a brief chat with Jem ...)

The Peel Christmas gig will live with me for years; I'm certainly hoping that the Islington gig this coming Christmas can come even partly close ...

tomskerous

Peel Christmas was just ace, as were the two Esoterics for different reasons.

I also had the pleasure of the Summer's End chalet session, which wins a special award - not least for the most appalling yellow nylon ginham curtains ever to accompany a prog supergroup.

But it's always so tricky to separate the gigs from the surrounding larks...
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

D S

So far, I've seen them at The Arches in Glasgow (supporting Spock's Beard), Summer's End, The Christmas Peel and supporting DT in Southampton.

It's probably easiest to say that the DT gig was the least good - poorest sound, too big a venue for the normal intimate Frost* gig and surrounded by DT fans who weren't interested.  And my car broke down on the way back! :evil:

More difficult to say which was my favourite. Glasgow was just brilliant.  Great crowd and venue and was right at the front.  They kicked off with a briliant version of Milliontown.  I caught most of a fantastic version of BLM on video
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKbNgbH2gaI
Only down side was as it was a support slot, it was too short!

Summer's End was a bit special, with it being a full set and it is probably the best I have seen the band play to date. Great atmosphere, surrounded by avid Frost*ies!

Christmas Peel was unique with the band clearly enjoying playing and having fun. I'll always remember the bizarre ritual BBS, Witchie, Gig Buddy and I shared with a rather 'relaxed' JM at the end!  :lol:

Hopefully my favourite Frost* gig will be Manchester in December...  8-)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Gandalf1986

I've only seen them at The Islington opening for the Spock's. A marvellous gig indeed! I hope to see Frost* live at least another time... :(
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

rogerg

Mouse

The Esoteric Evening was not only the best Frost*-ish gig I've been to, but one of the best I've ever been to ever. I have never laughed so much and been in the company of such good people. Fantastico! The only other two times were support slots (Spock's and DT, both in Leeds, but not at the same time) and really can't compare!

Bert

The Xmas gig at The Peel 2008. Simply glorious atmosphere. John Jowitt handing out little pin badges, biscuits on the bar (I think), and the brilliant guest vocalist on I Wish it Could Be Xmas Everyday.

Unforgettable. :)
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Phrog

As yet I've only seen 'em once, Southampton supporting Dream Theater, which was hampered by the sound being a bit sh1te all evening, and the 'blue lights only' debacle. Though it did make the moment when that guitar solo in BLM somehow cut through all the sweeter! The performance was superb even if we had to strain to hear it! DT weren't bad either..  :)

Pedro

While pondering this I realised I've been rather lucky in terms of quantity and thus it's really hard to pick a winner but in order of preference....

1 Summer's End (close to perfection)
2 Peel Esoteric (joint best really)
3 Peel Christmas (such fun)
4 Rotherham supporting Galahad (you always remember your first..."good God he can play it!")
5 CRS BOTY Rotherham (BLM - Jem sings: #"I'm just the 2nd best keyboard player..." :) )
6Spock's @ Cardiff (cracking venue but only support)
7 DT @ Leeds (sound & crowd)
8 Spock's @ Leeds (iffy sound, sticky floor and angry Jem  :shock:)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

As I'm on the other side of the pond, I've only had the one opportunity to see them at RoSFest, the performance many of you now have in the form of TPE, so you're well aware of its quality. From the intro to TFYS and Tenori On Snowman to NDV on drums and bvox... throw in the extra long set and it was a two hour feast for the ears.

There was so much more to it than the set, though.

There was:
- the gall of asking a 70 year old woman to keep her grandchildren overnight and to feed our cats
- the 5am drive to the airport
- the flying a thousand miles each way from Florida to Philly
- the car rental
- the Fort Washington Holiday Inn (where the band also stayed)
- the lunch stop at the massive mall in King of Prussia
- the scenic drive to Glenside
- the charm of the village and its shops
- the Keswick
- the meeting of many lovely Frost*ies including Roger, Cairn, Lord Cotters & Family, Jose (dtjoez), Mike Flavin, Mirror and leelustig
- the meet and greet, telling Nick I've seen him twice now, but have yet to see SB (they've never played in Florida)
- the temporary Frost*ie takeover of the meet and greet (sorry everyone behind us)
- the doubletake I got from Jem when I introduced myself
- the after gig dinner
- the lure of the after party winning out over my bloodshot eyes and exhaustion
- the not being able to get into the after party
- the Moo hug (how cool is that guy?)
- the nice long chat with Dec in the hotel lounge with cameo appearances by Jem

I only regret that we couldn't stay the whole weekend and enjoy more of the festival, particularly Touchstone. It was simply the finest gig experience I've ever had - to be able to enjoy the music of one of my favourite bands, meet them and THANK them for doing what they do - there's just no comparison.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

L33VEY

A tough one - they all had their moments.

Started with La Scala supporting the Flower Kings - at that point we all thought that this was the LAST concert.  After Hyperventilate and BLM, Jem announces that "this next song is our last one - Milliontown!"  Sound wasn't great - JM's solos not high enough in the mix. Afterwards bought the CD and a Large Baseball shirt from Mr Merch Jowitt, then followed a Dutch guy with a silver pen around as he accosted all of the band in the bar and got them to sign our CDs.  Top night.

Supporting Spocks in Islington - arrived late in the middle of EIMA, so stuck near the back - JM's solos not high enough in the mix again but everyone had fun.  Spocks were good, but my old legs gave out before the encores.  Played the gig CD all the way home.

Christmas at the Peel - saw Jem throw his special Christmas hat with white pony tails to a guy down the front and winked at him - the first time I saw Pedro...  Brilliant atmosphere - standing just behind Cosmic Lawnmower as JM picked him out for the encore - breathed a sigh of relief.

Supporting DTs in Southampton - got there early and got down the front.  Sound didn't have time to distort before it got to me, so was excellent. They dashed through it very clinically but did the trick.  Gave up with the DTs half way through and had a good chat to Dec down the back who spotted the Frostie T shirt.

Esoteric evening at the Peel - terrific - never seen a gig like it.

On balance Christmas at the Peel, but I think that there's better to come!
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

gav

I knpw that the DT support slot in Southampton has been thought of as a bit knaff in these parts, but if it wasn't for that I'd still have DT at the top of my band list and not Frost*, who are prolly my fave band in the world at this point!(occasionally having to do battle with Porcupine Tree) :D
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

davejd

Quote from: "Mouse"The Esoteric Evening was not only the best Frost*-ish gig I've been to, but one of the best I've ever been to ever. I have never laughed so much and been in the company of such good people. Fantastico! The only other two times were support slots (Spock's and DT, both in Leeds, but not at the same time) and really can't compare!
I purchased tickets for the esoteric gig at the peel, and you will not believe how farked off mrs davejd was when we both came down with the flu a few days before and we couldn't make it. This was of course all my fault as apparently i had it three times as bad as she did.But, we will definately make it to islington in december  hurrah!