What's your bestest Frost* gig?

Started by Ash, June 19, 2010, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithd

All the ones I've been to have all been great including the 2 Esoteric shows at The Peel & Cardiff. Hard to choose which is the best really, maybe the Xmas bash at the Peel, cracking weekend with It Bites on the Sunday. Another double header like that would be nice.
My Hovercraft is full of eels

turbo

Ive only been lucky enough to see frost four times [if the esoteric gigs count ] islington was really good so was the aforementioned esoteric gig at the peel disappointed with the show at southampton, no fault of frost  the problems with that show have been well documented so  no need to there, for me the best by a long way was the peel xmass show i still get goose bumps just thinking about it.
?"By the beard of Zeus"

brakkum

The one that has yet to happen in the US (preferably in Minnesota...)
 :cry:  :cry:

El_Mayonnaise

My first frost gig was the Dream Theater one in Leeds. As many of you probably know sound wasn't great.

Everything got mish mashed and not as clear or perfect as one would hope.

Even the big banana section started to sound like huge watermelon

Mordwin

Summer's End, but as only other time I've seen them was as support at the Leeds DT gig... it's not really a contest.

Nellie

I've only ever been to one proper Frost* gig and that was the Christmas bash at the Peel. I didn't actually see any of it either as I was in the back bar (no not that one) watching on the screen and then had to go home because my trousers were too tight :lol:
I was at 2 of the Esoteric gigs and I reckon the Peel with Tinyfish was one of the funniest nights ever.
It's in the post!

RacingHippo

I'm with Nells.
The Esoteric Evening was one of the best nights I've ever had. I hurt from laughing.
And such great lip-adorenments.
And splendid biscuits.

But a close second has to be the Frost*mas gig. Even though - or perhaps because - I had the pleasure of having a £20 note rolled up and shoved up my nostril by the luvverly Philadelphia.
The atmosphere at that show was just lovely.
* May contain nuts.

LivingForever

The gig in my avatar (Xmas at the Peel 2008)... of course, meeting the love of my life in the pub beforehand *might* have something to do with that.  :D

But both that and Summer's End were perfect weekends all round really!
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

MrBabou

My favorite Frost* gig lies somewhere in my future (I hope)...

If it is ever considered for Frost* to come to Canada, you have to come to Montreal. I'm not in Montreal myself, but it's just a 2 hour drive away, and many prog bands have passed in this big city (Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Transatlantic, just to name a few). It's one of those "logical" cities to go play at. Oh and if you were to come over NOW, Nick D'Virgilio would be in the area... hehe.   ;)
"The mind is like a parachute: it works best when it\'s open"... Frank Zappa

Pedro

Jem might be along to answer that at any time so this is not answering for him....
But I think the line has usually been that they would happily play, if the numbers work out alright.
So if someone organises a gig and sells enough tickets to cover the obvious expenses of everyone getting there etc. and, presumably makes enough of a profit to make it worth their own while organising/promoting it, then there should be a good chance of it happening - subject to diary conflicts and all that.
I think you can read all that in the posts that Jem has put out before...if you build it, they will come....that kind of thing.

Is there a Prog Festival over there that might make it happen?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

MrBabou

OK nice!

There is one prog festival that I know, and went to last year for one evening (saw Mystery and Saga), but I just found out they're not doing a fifth edition. Not for lack of success, because it was more and more successful every year, with last year being sold out. Read about it here if interested: http://www.fmpm.net/eng/home.html (see October 13th's post).

I think there is one festival in Quebec City, but I'm not certain if it's only Prog, but I think Dream Theater played there a couple of years back.

It's odd how Montreal, even the province of Quebec, have many prog rock enthusiasts, but lacks proper festivals for that type of music. However, many prog bands will stop by in Montreal or even Quebec City when touring. I live just beside Ottawa, and rarely, but sometimes we get treated to good prog concerts. The Bluesfest this year (yeah, you read that right, Bluesfest), has many prog artists, including Rush, Dream Theater, Steve Hackett, Roger Hodgson, The Musical Box. Even Iron Maiden is there this year  :shock:
"The mind is like a parachute: it works best when it\'s open"... Frank Zappa

Ash

Ash
xxx

gav

Quote from: "MrBabou"Even Iron Maiden is there this year :shock:
I'm slightly p*ssed off about Iron Maiden only having one UK date this year- sonisphere festival, and I won't be able to make it anyway :(
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

Bert

Quote from: "LivingForever"The gig in my avatar (Xmas at the Peel 2008)... of course, meeting the love of my life in the pub beforehand *might* have something to do with that.  :D

But both that and Summer's End were perfect weekends all round really!

Ahhh, James you're so sweet.  :)

I remember that pic being taken.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

johninblack

Read this a couple of days ago and still can't really decide so for various very different reasons the best were....
La Scala
Summers End
The Xmas bash
CRS BOTY.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"