Sneaky Hidden Bits in TDL!

Started by Drarok, June 23, 2010, 12:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drarok

I've been pulling apart the 5.1 mix of TDL and listening to the individual streams and found even more stuff in there than I could have imagined! I think I need a 157.1 system to be able to hear it all!

Without further ado, I present to you my favourite finds. Hope posting clips of the song (albeit brutally EQ'd in some instances) isn't too naughty...

There's some good old glitching in there.

Dig dig dig dig (away) - I never noticed the "away" before, could just tell something was there.

After "Before Your Eyes", there's a lovely ghostly sound backing the piano(?) and some bendy notes I hadn't spotted, so I delved into that section only to find a little string motif I'd totally missed as well!
I boosted it up a bit here.

This whole section is way bigger and more layered than I thought it was. This kind of overlapping arrangement always impresses me, I wish so hard that I could do this sort of thing.

And don't forget the comb solo at the end! :lol:

There's a little clip of a chap saying "Whether it be good... Whether it be bad..." tucked away in there somewhere that I couldn't manage to get audible enough to post, but every listen is bringing me more stuff to marvel at!

All these snippets are on my Frost Files area of my website: http://www.drarok.com/frost/files/view/ ... 20Snippets

So, what have you spotted? :D

Edit:

Backwardsy bit, re-forwardised

Pedro

Very interesting stuff Drarok, nice work.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

OlliR

Ooh that's really nice .  It's really inspiring to hear all those hidden layers. Thanks Drarok and of course Jem for writing the whole thing :)
My desparate cry for attention, //http://www.soundcloud.com/ollipr

Jim Takacs

God I Love this Post!!!!   I Was actually just last night listening very intently for just this kind of stuff! Franz's Comb Solo is the best though! You Rule Drarok! ;)  This just goes to show how all the little initially unnoticed intricacies work together to create the sonic Tapestry of Jems sound!
::I Like Cheese::

Pedro

A lot of these little details are not so much heard as 'felt'.

From the downloaded version I had no idea that the string riff returned "behind" the "free the horses" bit.

There's a voice (very slowed down) as part of the air con recording that Jem did in Imogen Heap's gents toilet but I can't work out what it says.

It's a shame that the Sarah Palin clip had to go but it really doesn't matter at all.

I'm looking forward to any long track polls this year. :)

Jim Takacs

I Would LOVE to have a sample of Tara's Laugh! That would Make the Bestest ring tone! Almost a good as Toys! ;)
::I Like Cheese::

Pedro

Mrs Pedro has Toys as her ringtone.
Mine is JM's solo from BLM. :)

Drarok

My new ringtone is "The Dividing Line Strings", replacing my previous one of "Trashmen - Surfin' Bird" :lol:

Whenever my mate Mike rings me, it's "Other Me Orchestral", crafted by somebody here, I believe. It's an awesome arrangement of Hyperventilate at the start.

Pedro

Quote from: "Drarok"Whenever my mate Mike rings me, it's "Other Me Orchestral", crafted by somebody here, I believe. It's an awesome arrangement of Hyperventilate at the start.
That was the one and only Rick Burn himself, original file hoster for all remixes and toy-like files. I think he was the first to remix TOM.
I wonder how he's doing these days? Long time....

Pajter

Not that the writing isn't impressive, but how the hell can one manage to mix such a song?!

Jem

Bloody hell! Well done Drarok for all the unthreading. It is a many layered thing. But that's half of what made it so much fun.  

The comb solo was added right at the end as a little bit of an in joke. I made sure Franz got a performance credit on the sleeve notes.  :lol:

The bendy notes is me on my Jackson with an eBow put through a Tel-Ray delay plug in on Protools. The second time it happens I mucked about with the audio file using Vari-Fi so it gets even more swoopy. Weirdly, that's the bit I always tune into, I don't really hear the string riff during that bit. Funny what your head gets used to.

Anyway, house points all round. I'm very honoured you took the time Drarok. Thank you.  :D

Brom

Brilliant thread, nice one Drarok.

One bit that gets me is the cowbell? or similar at

We fall into the future
A doorway open wide etc....

which to me sounds as if the studio metronome is still going... but it fits nicely.

also at

You're not so clever
You're caught in heavy weather...

I always hear a noticable drop in the levels of the instrumentation when the vocals kick in.

Yes, agreed with Pedro, have heard the voices with the extractor fan.. just need to listen more.  :D  :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

weezul

that's absolutely class, thanks for that. I think i might have to dig out my DVD and rip the channels myself and have a play!! Get some more frost* mashups on the go haha

Drarok

It was a little fiddly, but there are guides out there teaching how to rip the channels.

weezul

aye im all good on how to do it, ive done it with Muse's The Resistance a couple of times to do these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvyfs9TB ... re=related
http://soundcloud.com/liamgaughan/silly ... n-practice

and i've also used Watershed by Opeth, Paradise Lost by Symphony X, its really fucking cool to hear some of the sounds in isolation!