The ideas being explored in EIMA...

Started by Dodie, November 18, 2008, 10:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodie

Hi all,

TBE (in the Ask Frost bit about the CD Booklet) writes an entirely laudable comment about why EIMA is proper prog, and lays down the guantlet:
"Jem is the artist, and he has made a statement which means something. He doesn't need to explain why the booklet has no lyrics. It may not be what some expected but there is a reason for it and it would be great to read a discussion as to why people think he has done so, or for that matter why the album contains the themes and ideas it does..."

I'm probably the least insightful person to get the ball rolling on this, but I'd love to read ideas from others (or even Jem LOL) about what the album's themes and ideas are...

So, erm, what are EIMA's themes and ideas?

I seem to recall Jem saying that "You/I" was the little vital last part in the album, and does this provide some sort of key to one of the album's themes? It seems to be connected to "EIMA" thematically (I mean words, which seem to be expressing disillusionment with misunderstanding fans or stupid A&R people); so there seems to be a thread about the record industry (a noble prog tradition ever since Wish you were here, of course)

Then again, I might be completely off-track
 :roll:

David

James_S

Quote from: "Dodie"Hi all,

TBE (in the Ask Frost bit about the CD Booklet) writes an entirely laudable comment about why EIMA is proper prog, and lays down the guantlet:
"Jem is the artist, and he has made a statement which means something. He doesn't need to explain why the booklet has no lyrics. It may not be what some expected but there is a reason for it and it would be great to read a discussion as to why people think he has done so, or for that matter why the album contains the themes and ideas it does..."

I'm probably the least insightful person to get the ball rolling on this, but I'd love to read ideas from others (or even Jem LOL) about what the album's themes and ideas are...

So, erm, what are EIMA's themes and ideas?

I seem to recall Jem saying that "You/I" was the little vital last part in the album, and does this provide some sort of key to one of the album's themes? It seems to be connected to "EIMA" thematically (I mean words, which seem to be expressing disillusionment with misunderstanding fans or stupid A&R people); so there seems to be a thread about the record industry (a noble prog tradition ever since Wish you were here, of course)

Then again, I might be completely off-track
 :roll:

David

I could see (on one level) that You/I is all about how EIMA isn't done for anyone other than Jem/Frost. We can like it or hate it, but they are happy with it.

Likewise it could be about failed relationships, which ties in with themes across the album.

I'm not very insightful either though - I'm just here for the music ;)
So many keyboards, so little time!

Rick

I would love to know the story behind You/I only clue i have seen is that its about Bill Oddie and that cannot be right :D

James_S

Quote from: "Rick"I would love to know the story behind You/I only clue i have seen is that its about Bill Oddie and that cannot be right :D

He only does wildlife programmes so he can get out there to see the wildlife, perhaps :D

gareth

I do think there's a chance you might be reading into it a little too much.

I think what Andy was trying to get across, was pushing for discussion about the themes and ideas explored by individual songs. I don't think there's an underlying lyrical theme across the album, and that's part of what makes it unique I think.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course.

James_S

Quote from: "gareth"I do think there's a chance you might be reading into it a little too much.

I think what Andy was trying to get across, was pushing for discussion about the themes and ideas explored by individual songs. I don't think there's an underlying lyrical theme across the album, and that's part of what makes it unique I think.

I'm not sure I'm reading anything into it - just throw ideas out there, really. I'm not very good at lyrical content at all!

Most of the time, I just hear vocals as melodies, and eventually pick up on what the words are. Then I get around to what they actually might mean ...

gareth

Quote from: "James_S"
Quote from: "gareth"I do think there's a chance you might be reading into it a little too much.

I'm not sure I'm reading anything into it - just throw ideas out there, really. I'm not very good at lyrical content at all!

Most of the time, I just hear vocals as melodies, and eventually pick up on what the words are. Then I get around to what they actually might mean ...

Apologies if I was a bit blunt, I've had a nice bottle of wine tonight :)
Just trying to say that there's no big concept, just individual songs and stuff.

James_S

Quote from: "gareth"Apologies if I was a bit blunt, I've had a nice bottle of wine tonight :)
Just trying to say that there's no big concept, just individual songs and stuff.

No worries - there may be a concept or not - to me it doesn't distract from the bits that I already like (and indeed the bits that may grow on me, and the others that will forever be destined to be tolerated, but not really liked :) )

Dodie

A bunch of individual songs means we could maybe get plural ideas and themes, if we want to ponder such stuff. I'm not reading too much into it; I never used the term "concept", did I? :oops:

Nor is it looking for the answers to life's biggest philosophical questions; just wondering what on earth the songs are about - that's all!

Cheers

David

Dave M

Quote from: "Rick"I would love to know the story behind You/I only clue i have seen is that its about Bill Oddie and that cannot be right :D

God that made me laugh so much ..  :lol:

Not at you, but at the idea that someone would write a song with those words to one of the Goodies finest, though he is a grumpy little twitcher these days .. maybe he got upset at Jem for cooking Peacock Pie !  :lol:   :lol:
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..