Main Menu

ELP Cover?

Started by geront, July 01, 2010, 04:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robwebster

Quote from: "Jem"This is why I dislike most 70's prog. All that's left of that golden era are a bunch of 35 year old lawyers arguing with each other about rights and money. Meanwhile it's the public that lose out. It's pathetic.

I really feel for the guys at Classic Rock, they've spent a load of money on this and bent over backwards to try and make it work with the absolute best intentions at the centre of it. I've just lost a week's hard work, no big deal really, they've just lost a good few month's worth.

With regard to my bit of this whole saga, the Copland Estate have made it clear that I am not allowed to release Frost's version of Fanfare at any time ever. Ever. And this goes for the Frost Reports too. A combined 26 minutes of world class Frosty goodness that I'm also not allowed to play anybody at any time in perpetuity.

So that's nice.  :evil:

My apologies to everybody who was looking forward to it, but I can't do anything about it. If you see Jerry and any of the  guys and gals of Classic Rock Presents...at High Voltage, make sure to give 'em a hug and thank them for their time and effort on trying to make this whole thing happen, they'll really appreciate it. They were so excited about it and now they're absolutely gutted and I totally feel for them.
God. So much red tape. The industry is completely backward in places, I swear. It's a bit of a puzzle to try and fit rights to music in the first place, it's like trying to bottle an idea - even hard now that it's commonplace to rip CDs to computer. People make copies of them all the time. But that takes the cake. I can't understand what could possibly motivate them.

Well, no. I know exactly what would motivate them, they're probably a bit strapped for cash. Still. Thoroughly sad.

...Wouldn't it be a shame if it leaked?

(I know, I know! I'm kidding of course, it's not worth the trouble. But if a masked man came into your house and leaked it onto the internet before disappearing in a puff of hazy identity... well that'd just be tragic.)

gr8gonzo

If anyone sees Shirley, please give her this message:

"Shirley, there must be some way to extract or alter the recognizable parts of Frost*Fare, retitle it and unleash it without legal issue."

You'd think the suits would have agreed on rights and stuff before recruiting artists for the project. Funk in ashes.

Interesting that the Copland Estate took no issue with the SEVEN dance remixes of Fanfare released in 2003 and again in 2007.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

Judge: Sustained!
Council: I'm sorry your honour, I will rephrase.
Mr. Godfrey, you say this was an ordinary burglary....but, I put it to you that no ordinary burglar would steal only a single USB memory stick and replace it with a packet of Bourbons and a bottle of Port....
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Pedro

My initial reaction to this whole disappointment was a little unfair.
Grabbing the pitch-forks and storming the offices of CRPP was a little hasty it seems.  :oops:
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

robwebster

Quote from: "Pedro"Judge: Sustained!
Council: I'm sorry your honour, I will rephrase.
Mr. Godfrey, you say this was an ordinary burglary....but, I put it to you that no ordinary burglar would steal only a single USB memory stick and replace it with a packet of Bourbons and a bottle of Port....
Well, no, 'course not.

What kind of burglar would give up bourbons?! They're like sturdy little bricks of obesity - but LOVELY. Putting a bit of weight on never tasted so good.

Used to go through entire packets in a day. Lush.  :D

Bert

Bollocks  :twisted:
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

turbo

Quote from: "Bert"Bollocks  :twisted:

well said sir  :lol:
?"By the beard of Zeus"

gav

:evil: GRRRRR!!!! BUGGER! ARSE CHEESE!

BTW, I was just wondering how Jem managed to release Here Is The News for free download through the old toys section of the site, but he's not allowed to release this?! :?
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

Pajter

Crap!

Maybe somebody could "leak" it.  :twisted:

rogerg

wow. truly and duly bummed.  while I understand the Copland estate doing their best to protect the Copland heritage, this is just foolish.  I am quite sure Mr. Copland wouldn't mind.

gr8gonzo

How dare Jem try to expose more people to Mr. Copland's music?!
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"How dare Jem try to expose more people to Mr. Copland's music?!

perzackly

Tricky

If I understand the Copyright Term Extension Act correctly; then we'll be able to hear Frost*fare for the Common Man in 2037 - 95 years after its original publication.
//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act
I'm looking forward to that! :)
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Brom

Catching up I've just opened this thread and can not believe what I've been reading. I didn't open it before because I was just waiting for the big release. Jem working over one of my fave tracks was something to get very excited about and I certainly didn't want any spoilers. Now I've just read the biggest spoiler ever. OH BUM!  :cry:
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Mooncat

Yep, once again the lawyers ruin it for everyone.

It's true what they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name..................
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy