Main Menu

ELP Cover?

Started by geront, July 01, 2010, 04:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geront

Since I started this mess by asking, might I ask one question of Jem??  Do individual performers, say John Mitchell for example, if he was a musician that played on the recording, have any rights to their INDIVIDUAL work, whilst practicing and recording??   Might each musician be given their "parts" back (and of course, freely distributed since it's only a part of them practicing) so it might be re-combined by some intrepid mix master out there, who of course, simply releases his "party mix" of parts he assembled?

Bit of a stretch, no doubt, but bonkers, this sucks! :)  I thought of the backwards release to, but it seems like a reversed copy that is Fanfare would cause issues as well.   But a party mix released by some unknown interloper, who "found" various pieces floating about, and name it something else, I wonder..... :)

Yours in Frost,

Tony
www.tonygeron.com

Frost bitten and flea ridden, a scoundrel and scholar betwixt...

Pedro

I think Jem is out right now, having (hopefully) enjoyed being in the audience for the recording of this Sunday's Top Gear.
There is a chance he is being fingered in WickedWitch's front room but reports are sketchy.

As for the recording of FFTCM I would wonder if very much of it wasn't Jem (him being that clever and all) but the fact that the blocked Frost* reports contain the other talented chaps suggests I might be well wrong....

Hopefully a USB stick will be left on a bus or in a taxi...one day...
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Dave M

Quote from: "Pedro"... There is a chance he is being fingered in WickedWitch's front room ....
:shock:

Good Lord Pedro ... what an image I have flying through my mind  :oops:

Anyway ...

It would be a terible misfortune if the said track were to find it's way out ... there must be plenty of people in the loop (to ahem .. blame) ... who may not be as respectful as Jem over the Copland Estates' decision  :twisted:

I'm sure us trustworthy Frosties would never publicly post the track, though perhaps we would pass it around privately via email ... should someone find it carelessly lying around ? ;)

Do we know any specifics .. did they receive the track to pass it off and then prevent it's release, or was their position of "no" a blanket response taken from the start ?
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Pedro

If one of those people were to accidentally let it slip, I would personally apportion a couple of pints of blame to them the next time I saw them. :)

gr8gonzo

I'd be willing to sign an agreement to not copy, distribute or post the track. Breach would mean a year listening to nothing but Aaron Copland, a sentence I would never risk.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

catherine

Quote from: "Pedro"If one of those people were to accidentally let it slip, I would personally apportion a couple of pints of blame to them the next time I saw them. :)

Stooping to bribery and corruption, eh, Pedders?

I think I'd be prepared to as well...

El_Mayonnaise

I got the magazine today and stood there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what had happened to the cd. Eventually I just bought it as I decided the Rush article was pretty good anyway.

When I got back and opened it, on the contents page is a detailed look at each cover song, indeed with Frost at number 1 on the tracklisting. The cd that came with it is till good (although very heavy on the Steven Wilson and friends).

The final sting comes in the review of the Philadelphia Experiment where at the end it says "If the gloriously deranged version of FFTCM on this months ELP tribute CD whetted your appetite, then what are you waiting for?"

House point for spelling whetted right.

catherine

I want to hear this glorious derangement!

(cue full-on tantrum)

gr8gonzo

Their they're, catherine.

catherine

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Their they're, catherine.

Aaaargh! Froth! Gibber!  :evil:  :shock:  :o  :roll:  :?

gr8gonzo, your truely evil. you should of been warned about putting posts in like that.  ;)

gr8gonzo

Ah, but it's my truely evil, so...  ;)

vocalnick

I'm pleased that the lawyer-vitriol has calmed down a bit. My lovely wife is a member of that particular fraternity, and a more compassionate person you wouldn't come across. I believe she's also inclined to think that this type of draconian and restrictive constraint on derivative works is absurd, and stifles creativity across the board. So yeah... slightly less broad strokes with the tar-brush would be appreciated.

On the song itself - I'm slightly surprised they can just say "NO" and close the door. I thought cover renditions were, ermm... covered... under compulsory licencing. That said, I'm in the colonies down here, and while we have a lot of common law in, ermm... common... our legislation differs somewhat.

I'm also thinking that the modifications to the original might be a sticking point, because then it becomes a new derivative work, rather than just a 'rendition'.

End free-association :)
words that look like sound effects: twit, blog

Mordwin

Whilst lawyers are no doubt involved, the ridiculous nature of modern copyright terms has a lot more to do with accountants me feels (and a certain mouse).

L33VEY

I had a faint hope that in my subscribers copy of CRPP there would be a second "naughty" disc that an overworked packer had slipped in by mistake.  I would off course have alerted the correct person (in this case Pedders) who would have demanded that I send him a copy of it by email immediately.  Which I would be bound as a Frost*ie to do.  There would then have been a PM to the top 100 Forum members and life would be good.

Sadly none of this happened
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Pedro

LOL
It's a nice faint hope to have.:)
I guess the guys did well to do the insert and to sticker-up the wallet like they did and, while the CD is not *that* exciting, it's not bad.

BTW I sent a very diplomatic and rational email to the Copland estate describing the true story of how my music teacher 30-odd years ago used ELP's "fanfare" to connect with my cohort of disinterested students. It was a pivotal moment in my music life. I'll never forget that moment as we all heard the trumpets and thought, 'here we go, another droning lecture about intervals and tonal contrasts'....and then the drums started. Everything he said suddenly made sense that day.
That lesson also forged another small connection between me and my parent's love of classical music - I'll always be grateful to him for that. I reasoned in my mail that by rejecting this "bump" of Copland's work they were preventing something similar (moments of revelation and relevance) from happening again (although, to be fair, I doubt there are such music lessons in schools these days).
I had a 'thanks for sharing you thoughts' reply (presumably because I was civil). I doubt that it has made or will make any difference. :(