Main Menu

ELP Cover?

Started by geront, July 01, 2010, 04:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geront

Or is that SongLeaks???  :)

I rather like this concept, I do! :)  Me wonders if one was to setup a website for such, would brave and completely anonymous artists blink if they found there copyrighted material now done by some randomly brilliant other artist there, and it all just happens, because that's the way our Universe is working right now... no secrets, things all wished with held seeing the light of day in unexplained ways.  

Just think, We Are Anonymous group would either take full cheers for responsibility or blame... for aren't we all anonymous in some way?  :)
www.tonygeron.com

Frost bitten and flea ridden, a scoundrel and scholar betwixt...

gr8gonzo

Jem played Fanfare on my New Year's show. Er... sort of.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Mikey

Quote from: "Mikey"ELP, Asia, Qango and his own band all play FFFTCM,

All my examples appear on CD's
I used to have a signature

Neilgwhite

What about a slight re-write and re-name, Fanfare for a common woman...........
Hello, is there anybody in there?............

owen

Quote from: "Mooncat"
Quote:idea: Carl Palmer seems to have the key to all this as ELP, Asia, Qango and his own band all play FFFTCM, perhaps that nice Mr Palmer could explain the way around this

But ELP were given permission by the composer to use this, having initially been refused permission as it didn't add anything (he was played the single version apparantly, changing his mind only after hearing the full thing). I've no idea what was written down but surely Carl P could always claim that he did have permission even if the letter specified Emerson Lake & Palmer, as he was THAT Palmer.

Mooncat

That could well be the case - no doubt somewhere in the small print it says that they can perform it as AC gave them permission. No such luck with Jem's version
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Mouse

I thought that ELP were initially refused by Copland's representitives, so they went around them and went to Copland himself, who loved their version and gave them his permission. However it happened then, Mr. Copland sadly isn't with us anymore, so there's only the seemingly stubborn estate left to deal with.

Mooncat

That's what I understood too Mouse. :(
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

owen

No, Keith Emerson says that he had to send the full version to his publishers because the maestro had said "what's the point?". When he said there wAs a longer version he was told to send that as essentially Aaron Copland "was a 10 year old at heart!". Is that the secret to all great composers then, Jem?

finbeard

Long play-times signify commitment! After all, careless prog costs lives!
[size=200]WHAT HO![/size]

Mikey

Quote from: "Mooncat"
Quote:idea: Carl Palmer seems to have the key to all this as ELP, Asia, Qango and his own band all play FFFTCM, perhaps that nice Mr Palmer could explain the way around this

I don't think the 'live performance' of music is classed the same as a recorded work for the purposes of copyright

And speaking of Qango. If you haven't heard them, there's a couple of tracks on todays blog

//http://mikeyvtheworld.blogspot.com/

One of which is Hoedown
I used to have a signature