Gear Lust - Summer Edition

Started by SerFox, July 06, 2010, 11:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.S.

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"Oh Yeah, I'd Settle for an Andromeda!! :D
Highly recommended. It's an insane synth.

I haven't noticed any presets that sound Frosty in my Fantom yet, except maybe some organ and piano. But I bet he's doing a lot of layering. I know I do when I make my patches, and that's a way to create new unique sounds, even if it's all presets.
But that's the cool thing about this machine, it can sound like anything if you're into sampling. I do some insane layering with softsynths, sample chords of it, run it through amp simulators etc... Then combining it with the Fantom sounds. It's awesome.

But yes, there are keyboards that sound better out of the box.

Jem

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"Its amazing to me to see how many of you guys want a Fantom. I Will admit, What Jem has been able to do with it is astounding. But truth be told, I believe 90% of what he has coming out of it are all His Samples. Id love for him to give a percentage of what is actually from the Fantom engine itself! Roland Has Always sounded great, I wont knock that, but, the O.S. is a Nightmare! IMO.   Ill keep my eyes peeled for a used one to come through my store for you guys! :)   Oh Yeah, I'd Settle for an Andromeda!! :D

It's about 50/50. I do use it pretty much as a great big sampler live, yes , it's loaded up with about 300mb of samples for a Frost gig. That said, I do mix that with the onboard stuff like the strings, the piano, a few synth pads etc etc. Plus the trigger pads are so handy, it's like having a spare octave and a bit built in up top, seamless patch change is a vital part of it too, plus the d-beam is cool for triggering samples and controlling the filter cutoff on the BLM sample, just a nice little bit of theatre... :D

I don't personally find the OS a nightmare, but I'm not using the sequencer which is where I believe a lot of the problems are. I do wish it would crossfade sample loop points though.

Jem

Quote from: "E.S."[
But that's the cool thing about this machine, it can sound like anything if you're into sampling. I do some insane layering with softsynths, sample chords of it, run it through amp simulators etc... Then combining it with the Fantom sounds. It's awesome.

Amen to that. I do loads of sound design with softsynths and then chuck it into the Fantom. Skipback sampling is great for that kind of stuff as well.

Bizarre thing to say for what is primarily a ROMpler, but it is a very flexible synth if you're into sampling. Which I am. :D

D S

Quote from: "Jem"I don't personally find the OS a nightmare, but I'm not using the sequencer which is where I believe a lot of the problems are.
Hmm, yes.  After years of using the very intuitive sequencer on my Yamaha SY85, I'm really struggling with the sequencer on my Fantom X6 in comparison.  Generally I can get it to do what I want but a) it's not as easy and b) it doesn't always do what it's asked to!   :?
Come on, you\'re a lion!

E.S.

A bit of the gear lust is gone for a few minutes. I got a Korg Monotron :D
I'm really getting into this. Recording multiple tracks is a lot of fun, in addition to that lovely theremin-like sound it can make.

Accompanied with Newcastle brown ale, it's a winner.  :mrgreen:

dtscape10

Gear Lust is no more for me......  :D

Finally got myself a Fantom X7.....That along with my Korg Triton Classic (with Moss board) I'll have most things covered. Haven't had much chance to play with it yet but I have a few projects about to start which will involve a bit of programming!!!!!

SAMPLING HERE I COME !!!!!!  :D

Jem

Hurrah! :D

I still love that old MOSS board. Happy sampling.

Jim Takacs

ooohhhh!!!   MOSS, Drooool!  Im Still looking for a Z1 with the Expansion!!  There is just this warmth with that Engine!! ;)
::I Like Cheese::

E.S.

I always wanted that MOSS board, but never got around to get one. And now I don't use the Triton live anymore.

dtscape10

I must confess to not using the Moss board to it's fullest... I've modified patches etc. but thats about it. I'm aware of it's potential as a VA synth but with a few bits added (string bow etc.).

Talking of sampling Jem I noticed that you sampled the D50 for the middle section of Black Light Machine, have you sampled anymore from the D50?

The reason I ask is I'm planning to do so, particularly the "OK chorale"(I think thats what its called.. patch 77 from the original bank... used by It Bites on "Ice Melts Into Water" ), "Soundtrack" (patch 37) and "Spacious Sweep"(patch 47).... All great sounds that I don't want to lose (I can't afford an V-Synth XT..... at the moment anyway!!!!!). If you know of someone who has done these I would love to get my hands on them..... Not that I'm lazy or anything !!!!!! :lol: