Main Menu

Manchester last night

Started by MadeOutOfCats, December 05, 2010, 09:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadeOutOfCats

Just wanted to say thanks to The Chaps for an excellent gig in Manchester last night. JM's voice got lost in the mix a bit early on, but apart from that there was barely a glitch. This might just have been the best of my six Frost* gigs: some unbelievable drumming from Blunders, squeaky vocals from Nathan and plenty of banter too: what more could you want? :D (It should go without saying that JM and Jem were fab. ;) )

I was also impressed by the size (and enthusiasm) of the audience. And the average age was lower than I expected too. Could it be that Frost are becoming popular?  :shock:

Nice to meet Mouse, D S and Fogeyspasm too. See you in Derby...

D S

Indeed! I echo all of the above.  What a fantastic gig.  :D  Whilst they may have played 'only' 8 songs, they were my 8 most favourite ones.  The musicality of all 4 of the band was just jaw-dropping, even when they were messing about.  Other than a few quibbles about the mix early on and the occasional 'jazz note' (I think Jem was put off by someone's shouts of "Jem, we love you"!  ;) ), it is hard to see how they can improve on last night - can't wait to see if they do at Derby.

Thanks to Mouse and Fogeyspasm for assisting with the 'Big Bananas' and I'll see you and Made Out of Cats on Monday!  Nice also to see Nellie and JJ afterwards too.

A few photos:-

Come on, you\'re a lion!

Derekicr5

Great photos there DS - wish I'd taken my Camera!  :P

Ash

great pics - makes me really want to go to Bilston tonight
Ash
xxx

Fogeyspasm

I videod quite a bit, not been home long so gonna take a look. Got all the band member introductions which was genius!
Tally Ho Chaps
Bandits 11 O\'Clock High
Throttle to boost, im going in!

Mouse

Cor blimey, that was good. Brilliant. After Summer's End in the 'Best Gigs of 2010' list for me. Blunders' drum fills making my rib cage rattle (cue a "phwoar...!" from me to best mate), the Godfrey Vs. Blundell Duel (  :lol:  ), Mitchell's guitar sounding mighty, Nathan's solid bass playing and nifty vocals... Awesome!

Thanks to DS for supplying the big bananas. Cue frantic inflating of mine as the BLM loop started up.  :lol:  I also got "Rock, Mexican Rock!" in at some point, too.  8-)

I thought the sound mix was good. Mitchell's vocals were lost at the start of TDL, but that was quickly sorted. My only gripe was with Manchester Academy's stupid ticket system. Instead of tearing off the stub and returning your ticket to you, they take them and give them back as you (re)enter/leave the room. This lead to a hairy moment when myself and non-forum mate exited through an alternate open door and were refused re-entry as we hadn't collected tickets. After a bit of a heated 'debate', they let us back in. Bloody goons. And I didn't get my original ticket back afterwards - I had No. 1 and I now have No. 121. Grrrr!

Great to see Made Out Of Cats and Nellie again and great to meet DS and Nicky V. A big thank you and Frost*ie salute to Wing Commander F. Spasm for being a wondreful bloke. Blunders is a lovely chap and I finally got to say hello to JJ!  :D  arK's album was forced upon my mate for a knock-down price by their guitarist.  :lol:

I have a small ammount of photos uploaded here (with a lot more to come!), but here are a few of my favourites...

Top night!  :D

D S

Nice pics Mouse!  I'm sure Nathan borrowed those basses with LEDs in the neck from his brother - I've certainly seen him using ones like that too!  Very cool on a darkened stage.  8-)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mouse

Especially during his introduction.  :lol:

weezul

I can die a happy man after seeing this gig. It truly was spectacular on every level. The band were on fire, so much more oiled than in the past two gigs i saw them (supporting SB and DT). Really, really, AMAZING. Still buzzing right now!!!

also found this on youtube: if anyone else has any more, please share!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MV_xQcbE78

Dodie

Third time me and my eldest lad saw Frost* (after CRS awards 2009 and supporting Dream Theater in Leeds), and I had fun at both of those - but we thought Manchester was on another level musically, and it was a fantastic gig (even though it did take about 18 hours for my hearing to return properly - I must be getting old).

I hope all is well and harmonious between the quartet because this is a line-up that kicks ass. I'd love these guys to do some band-writing and recording - but hey, we're all greedy, and actually I'm just grateful for anything that Jem & Co find time for.

Also thanks for that youtube link above - an unusually good quality bootleg; I hope this source might provide a few more?

Live long and prosper ;-)

David

Mooman

There still don't seem to be many other videos from Manchester, I wonder if we were just too much in awe  :lol:
Loved every minute of it, shame about JMs vocals at the beginning but they were sorted quickly enough. I loved the reworking of the first bit of pocket sun, the jem/blunders "battle" into hyperventilate, and everything else as well!  :D
Have to say as well, didn't know what to expect from Ark having never listened to them beforehand  :oops: , but it was truly a spectacle I enjoyed being a part of, and being passed a Christmas cracker made it even better  ;)
If you\'re considering going to Sonisphere, when you buy a ticket could you please use the code SF636M, I\'ll provide some variety of biscuits! \":)\"

Fogeyspasm

Ive quite a lot of footage to post up, but gonna take some time to do it!
Tally Ho Chaps
Bandits 11 O\'Clock High

Fogeyspasm

Just posting a good chunk of The Dividing Line up. Its gonna take another hour for that one to finish. Then ive got Black Light Machine guitar solo (Couldnt do the rest because i had to inflate my big bannana!) Pocket Sun-Band Intros-Hyperventilate. Back half of Milliontown from the point where Jem and John play the keyboard, The Other Me and first half of Dear Dead Days (Ran out of memory card! :oops: )
Tally Ho Chaps
Bandits 11 O\'Clock High