Frost* Forum Collab Song - the tech thread (TTT!)

Started by RWA, August 10, 2010, 08:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilDragon

How about recording to WAV but converting for upload. Then you can always send the original WAVs for the final mix. Or uploading 128k MP3 for preview and adding links for WAV/FLAC of the same file for "real" download and REAL mixing.

Converting these files is not really a chore, takes a minute or two. Can't even make tea in that time!

Honestly, MP3s are the plague. Just kills high freq content. FLAC for the win. ;)

RWA

Quote from: "EvilDragon"How about recording to WAV but converting for upload. Then you can always send the original WAVs for the final mix. Or uploading 128k MP3 for preview and adding links for WAV/FLAC of the same file for "real" download and REAL mixing.

Converting these files is not really a chore, takes a minute or two. Can't even make tea in that time!

Honestly, MP3s are the plague. Just kills high freq content. FLAC for the win. ;)
You just don't seem to get it.... it seems. Yes, of course you record in WAV format. Just make sure the upload is in mp3. For the time being that is. It's just for reference.

EXAMPLE:
Say I'm recording a guitar part on top of Pedro's song. I'll record my guitar part in WAV format but I don't need a full size WAV version of Pedro's song to do the recording. I only need an mp3 to play along with. Once everything needs to be brought together I'll ask Pedro for the (separate) WAV files of his song for final mixing. The mp3 file I used as a reference will then be deleted.

BTW: FLAC doesn't go well with FFCS!  ;)

El_Mayonnaise

Quote from: "Pedro"I started sorting the organ part (double har!) but I'm too shattered to do any more tonight (curse this feeble carbon-based husk and its dependence on sleep!) so I'll do it tomorrow.

You said that yesterday! :P

Does it follow the same motif as your 12 string guitar part? As thats what I had in mind when I recorded some drums (blimey its hard to make drums go anywhere without any melody) If not I'll have a rethink ;)

Pedro

This, http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9223496 , is where it is currently heading but only because that's where it was going and few people said they liked it. So the organ and bass parts will be similar to verse #1 in there.

However, it doesn't have to stay going that way by any stretch and I think that if we are going to tease-out any of the fine playing skills that others on here have clearly got it will need a bit of variety later on with a tempo/style change or two.

With the original, I set out to make it connect with the end bit of Milliontown so the theme carried on but it's not vital to keep it going for long.

I'd love for this to grow into a kind of "quilt" project where we manage to join-up different ideas into a piece that works perhaps in a way similar to Transatlantic's The Whirlwind (I'm on about the structure, I am not implying anything about the quality or duration!) - I like music where themes return in variations but that might be just me.  ;)  

I will upload my backing for verse #1 in the next 12 hours....if I can just stay awake.... :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Pedro

Hi again,

OK, I've moved all the huge wavs to a separate folder and uploaded mp3 versions of all my parts (har!).
The quality is good enough for playing around with.

Also, all of the parts (har!) now have just 1-bar of silent count-in. The description of each clip gives a cue hint in terms of bar number where the clip should start (i.e. where the silent 1-bar count-in should start.
There's also a composite mp3 of the parts (har!) arranged as I envisaged them going together.

If anyone wants a version without a particular part (e.g. without the bass) then I can do one if you don't have the set-up to align things by bars.

So we are "up-to-date" with the stuff I did before.
What happens next is up for grabs.

I might put up a melody line to go over the 1st verse and then ponder a way to nicely switch-up into something a bit more interesting, with a slightly more proggy time sig and, hopefully some good spaces for a few solos to be traded.

Onwards! :)

johninblack

Well, I've decided that I AM going to do some bass at some point. It might be crap but I'm gonna do it anyway 8-)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

RWA

Hooray I say to all the action!  :mrgreen:

Had a great recording/arranging day with my mate today working on the TFK cover tune. I'll do the bulk of the mixing next Monday and then I'll fire up a FFCS project in Cubase to bring the first contributions together.

So far:
song written by Pedro
Song arranged by Pedro
All instruments by Pedro
©Pedro_2010!  ;)

Pedro

Yay! Go for it JIB - looking forward to it all!

I've just put up an additonal part (har!) which is a silly theremin/musical-saw rendition of the melody line for the 1st verse.
There's also an assembly of the whole thing with the theremin.

We could go for another verse but I'm wondering if the next challenge is a bridge/segue/ref's-whistle-and-screech-of-brakes into something a bit more Frost*ie and up-beat.... :?

Time to step back for a bit....(that's not a reaction to Ron's comment - and Jem wrote the tune!)....bring on the collaborators! :)

E.S.

Yo!

I got an idea. Since it starts off with a variation of the Mtown ending.. then why not continue the with another Frost theme? I have recorded a little segue/bridge with a theme from Snowman. I have uploaded it by itself, plus one version glued together with Pedro's intro. The fully assembled one with theremin and all. What do ya think? Obviously we shouldn't just use Frost songs, but I think it fits.
It's just an idea, first take and nothing polished at all. I'm not a bass player, but I did actually play bass on it.  :o
I don't have MIDI for the piano, it was just recorded as audio from the Fantom.

Oh, btw Pedro. When I loaded your intro into Cubase, it's not in sync. I used a tempo of 130bpm. I had to move it a bit to get perfect timing.

My versions now have 2 bars of silence in the beginning.

Oh, and if you hear some noise when you play it really loud, it's my organ plugin making noise. I haven't exported to audio and removed the rotor noise from it. Cool, but pretty useless feature.  :mrgreen:

gr8gonzo

I like it. The Snowman piece seemed to fit very well. It would be cool to touch on each of the tracks from the album in addition to adding original parts (har!).
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

OMG, that's gorgeous E.S.! :)
I wouldn't have any problem with the pursuit of a medley-style mash-up - I'm sure there's a bunch of ways to work-in other bits - I can already imagine 2 or 3 ways things might go from this but, like the Limericks, the excitement is in the thing NOT going the way you expect. ;)

@E.S.: re: sync problem. When you say my intro, do you mean just the EP part(har!) mp3 or the whole assembly?
Also, did the two bars is silence result from the sync probs or is that just a personal choice?

Note to self: Re-do assembly with the theremin dialled back a notch - too loud man, 'slike piercing.  :o

El_Mayonnaise

You know it has to be the hyperventilate crazy double bass and scaling the synth section next  :D

I'd like to ask a favour if I may, that drum machines be incorporated but also that if human drumming is wanted, then a track without drums on it be uploaded too? It wouldn't be too hard I'm sure....its just....drummers can feel so left out... :(

E.S.

I meant the full track. I haven't downloaded any individual tracks yet.

And two bars is just because I needed that time to hit record, turn around and play the keys. Then I just bounced the whole thing. One bar is probably enough. And yeah, I had to move everything a bit to the right to get it in sync.

Oh, and thanks.  :)
In my opinion, it would be great with some parts that doesn't come from the Frost* albums, but hey... we'll see where it goes from here.  :mrgreen:

I just hope it doesn't stay this minimalistic all the way. Something maximum something... Rock, I believe.  :D

@El_Mayonnaise: Yeah, I agree. I'll upload my thingy without drums. Just gotta take care of "dayjob music" first.

Pedro

@E.S. Curious, I'll have a look.

@El_Mayo: I can easily do a drum-less version.
Would you like a click-track?
Or you could just put the other bits together.

@Everyone: just because I have put up some parts(har!) that make it look like a complete finished thing, any or all of the parts are replaceable.
So, if you would like to or you don't find composing easy (hell, I stole the tune from Jem!) PLEASE feel free to record some real drums, real bass, real comb and paper, whatever and put it up. The idea is to get people joining in, I don't want people to not touch it....that's not the point. :)