Frost* Forum Collab Song - the tech thread (TTT!)

Started by RWA, August 10, 2010, 08:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

Now this idea of creating completely random demos is something new to me.

I'm guessing we can expect some reallly strange parts (har!) to make an appearance (har!)

Might have a route around see if I can find anything in my documents as I'll be away from my instruments for a few days :(

Pedro

I'm *more* than happy for you, Ron, to take charge of the big scissors (thank you) and, as has been said, I wouldn't put anything into this project that I would fight to protect, it is all probably both brilliant and crap and can be used or abused as you see fit.
This has inspired me to revisit some of my own stuff too, so I can stop "muddying the waters" by throwing more random bits in for a while but I stand ready to jump back in any time. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

I'm absolutely fine with Ron handling the arrangement and there are no hard feelings what so ever if anything I submit doesn't make the cut. As a screenwriter, I know not to get too attached to anything.

Ron, thanks for pointing out that the parts (har!) that have been put up so far may be used at any point and aren't necessarily the beginning. I had been listening in a linear fashion and not looking at the big picture. Perhaps "Mosaic" would make a good working title?

"Come on, everybody! We've got quiltin' to do!"
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

E.S.

I'm cool with it. Someone has to make the call, otherwise it will never be finished.

RWA

Hey ho! Version 1 is uploaded. --> //http://www.box.net/ffcs/1/48621432/490665850

So what did I do?

Well, I downloaded all the parts available (both individual parts as full mp3's) and lined them up so they're all in sync. Then I took out as much of the full mp3's as possible in case I also had the individual version (Pedro!).

First problem that occured are the files by El_Mayonnaise. The drums are not in sync. Sometimes to fast sometimes to slow. So he first has to take a look at that. I dropped an image file in you folder about this Richard.
To still be able to work out some ideas I played the drums myself for this part.

The arrangment for now:
e-piano intro is the same
12 string part is repeated (*)
Full organ/bass/theremin section is used for about 75 %. I took a repeated section out.
Because.... ES piano part is repeated also (*)

The song does lead into Pedro's rock section. I like it. It has a Frost*/SB vibe to it.
I did take out the middle part with the (to) obvious rock chords but the start and end stay the same.

Take a look at the image to get an idea --> //http://www.box.net/ffcs/1/48621432/490665078

(*) The entire intro section is perfect for vocals and the * parts are repeated because they're great and build nicely. It gives a vocalist some room to do his/her thing.

Drums: I did play everything myself for now. Doesn't mean it stays that way but it gives me something to work with. At this time you hear double drum parts on ES and Pedro's rock section because those files all ready had (backing) drums. So it's a bit busy for now. Sounds a bit like Phil and Chester!  ;)
The individual drum part is my RWA folder if you need it.

Request to ES:
please upload you piano and bass part as an individual file. Preferbly of the new extented lenght as in FFCS version 1
Request to Pedro:
Please upload the individual parts for the "rock" section.

General request 1:
Put your name in every file you upload. You can lose the "FFCS" in the file name. It's pretty obvious what song it's for. But it is handy for me to be able to see which file is who's. Thanks!  :)

General request 2:
Every folder has your name in it. Could everyone please fill in over there what they want to do? So which instrument(s) and / or vocals? Gives me an overview of what we have in this "band".

gr8gonzo

Nice work, Ron! Can't wait to hear some real electric guitar on that heavier section.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

It's alive!! :)
Yes, some real guitar would be great instead of me jabbing keys in Omnisphere's power chords.  ;)

Individual parts (har!) in skinny mp3s or full-fat WAV?

flamadiddle

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a crack at that guitar part.  Just need to get my gear set up.  Had a decent idea for the next section but don't have any midi stuff set up at the moment.  Will sort it tomorrow though.

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"It's alive!! :)
Yes, some real guitar would be great instead of me jabbing keys in Omnisphere's power chords.  ;)

Individual parts (har!) in skinny mp3s or full-fat WAV?
Full WAV please. Oh, and the same goes for the 1st section. Make sure the e-piano and 12-string have the new (extended) lenght, k?

Any guitarists around here for the rock section?
And about my drums; for all I care they're just temporary, k?

Pedro

Aye-aye Cap'n. Will do that tonight.
When extending the parts (double entendr-har!) I'll adjust to ease the transitions too. :)

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"Aye-aye Cap'n. Will do that tonight.
When extending the parts (double entendr-har!) I'll adjust to ease the transitions too. :)
You might wanna try continueing the 12 string during the organ/theremin section also. Playing the chords of that section that is. As a 2nd (30% extra ++ XXXL)option. Might sound nice.  :)

E.S.

I bought a guitar yesterday, so now I can do that too. (after practicing in my bedroom for another 10 years.)  :lol:

Seriously though, I have some ideas for totally different sections, I just gotta get this crazy week of music done. After the show on saturday I can participate a bit. Looking forward to it.

E.S.

Quote from: "RWA"Request to ES:
please upload you piano and bass part as an individual file. Preferbly of the new extented lenght as in FFCS version 1.
Will do soon, I promise.

RWA

Quote from: "E.S."
Quote from: "RWA"Request to ES:
please upload you piano and bass part as an individual file. Preferbly of the new extented lenght as in FFCS version 1.
Will do soon, I promise.
Great. make that WAV files as well. I see no reason why these parts would change in the future.

I can do guitars of course but it's nice to let others step in as well. So I hold my horses for now. Which in my case would be a dog and 3 cats but all the same!

I'll use the current (key based) bass parts for now. Even though they sound find to me. But if any bass player wants to step in you're more then welcome.

And keep bringing up new sections! We've only just started! This will become a 100+ page thread I reckon!  :mrgreen:

El_Mayonnaise

Hmm, no idea what happened with the drum syncing  :?

If you could drop a drumless version of the song so far into my folder ron, I can try recording again.

Sorry about that lads ad lasses.