Frost* Forum Collab Song - the tech thread (TTT!)

Started by RWA, August 10, 2010, 08:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro

Hey Rog, there's no pressure or anything....sorry if I gave that impression.

I'm not even sure how to arrange it right now. I've been poking around in sone presets for inspiration and I've found some great vocal stacks in Omnisphere that could do a Beach Boys kind of deal or even a barber shop feel.
The Choirs sounds are really lush too, even down to some rather enthusiastic soprano and tenor soloists.

Without some kind of steer on the style it's hard to know what to ask for.
Of course, if you had time to throw down some "sylly-ables" then there might be some inspiration to be drawn from that too. If you had a style (or even some lyrics?) in mind then go with that.

But at the end of the day it's all voluntary so just cos I am twiddling my presets rather a lot right now doesn't mean anyone else has to.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

FFCS version 5 (import at bar 1 --> 130 bpm, 4/4)

RED = new

- Section 1: Pedro_E-piano section inserted as intro. (this is what you mend, right Pedro?!)
This intro will possibly be replaced or enhanced later by a vocal/choir section.
Because this is inserted the entire project moves 21 bars to the right!

- Section 2: RWA_kick off
- Section 3   : Pedro's 1st verse
- Section 4   : ES_Bridge
The ES-Bridge are individual parts now but still have the old lenght and are mp3. New lenght as WAV please! :mrgreen:
- Section 5   : Pedro_rock (incl. switch to 150 bpm)
- Section 5a: Roger sequence
Possibly replaced by instruments used in the rock_section. It's just piano now. But it fits me thinks. :)
- Section 6   ES_ rock

Didn't use the Pedro/Drarok_cruddy section. Yet! It might fit in later.

Look at the image file. Yellow parts need work. The entire song so far needs real bass. And vox. And synth leads!

:)

Gandalf1986

Quote from: "RWA"Look at the image file. Yellow parts need work. The entire song so far needs real bass. And vox. And synth leads!

Real bass, huh? May I collaborate for that? :)
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

flamadiddle

Please bring back the Milliontown theme (ala the intro) as a bouncy chorus feel sometime towards the end.  I really want to collaborate on this but it's probably going to be a little while before I can.

RWA

Quote from: "Gandalf1986"
Quote from: "RWA"Look at the image file. Yellow parts need work. The entire song so far needs real bass. And vox. And synth leads!

Real bass, huh? May I collaborate for that? :)
Sure. Although it might be other bass players are working on this. Then again, those who deliver first have the most chance of being part of this. It's not a contest but if you deliver and it fits it's a done deal.  :)

Sign up if you want. Drop me an pm containing your e-mail address. I need it to add you to the project.

Quote from: "flamadiddle"Please bring back the Milliontown theme (ala the intro) as a bouncy chorus feel sometime towards the end.  I really want to collaborate on this but it's probably going to be a little while before I can.
I guess it's clear now that particular theme will be the core of this epic. It's used twice now and will reprise 1 or 2 times more I think. In different tempo's and texture perhaps but it's the corner stone of this song.

E.S.

Wav files coming from me very soon. Just gotta get some other recordings done.
Starting to sound like a cool song now. I like the transition you made into my last part. I left that a bit open, knowing the drums would be replaced anyway.

A request: On the Snowman theme by me, please play the kick drum in sync with the bass. It will be a much better groove. It's kinda messy now, IMO.

RWA

Quote from: "E.S."A request: On the Snowman theme by me, please play the kick drum in sync with the bass. It will be a much better groove. It's kinda messy now, IMO.
Will do!  :)

mikebass

I thought I would have a bash at laying some bass down during pedders intro, it's a pretty rough recording but I will fix it if you guys think it fits in. Not sure if it would work better with just the piano.

//http://www.box.net/shared/msb3ldyvn7
"Actually ladies and gentlemen, we\'ve got a massive problem with one of the computers...bloody huge. It may even kill us!"

RWA

Quote from: "mikebass"I thought I would have a bash at laying some bass down during pedders intro, it's a pretty rough recording but I will fix it if you guys think it fits in. Not sure if it would work better with just the piano.

//http://www.box.net/shared/msb3ldyvn7
Will try to fit it in tomorrow. We'll get back to you on this. Don't call us; we'll call you!  ;)

Pedro

Hiya,
Still can't resist playing with this!

Uploaded a bit of a keys solo over the strings bit Ron tagged as needing something. It is the result of about 4 hours of noodling about, trying to come up with something decent....then I just got Jem to do it!  :D

I took the HyperV solo midi file and pushed it around a bit. Different parts of it kept sounding right in different places but never all together so I had to go in and do a bit of pruning and nudged a few notes up or down so as not to clash with the underlying chords too much. A surprisingly good fit I think.

http://www.box.net/shared/onzpnvi7zj

I'm not sure the lead sound I used is all that good. I went off-preset a bit and prolly made several school boy errors in my tweakery, but it serves to illustrate the idea. Maybe a real keys man would like to learn it and play it all proper like?

Enjoy!  :)

Pedro

Good grief, just when I was about to switch off and go to bed I remembered that I had the BLM solo as a midi file too....and guess what?....

....with a little bit of tweakery again, there's another keys solo that kind of fits in the same place!

//http://www.box.net/shared/gpvubxsfe9

Crikey! The guy isn't even working on the project and he's delivered two solos! :D

....and before anyone asks, I've tried playing both simultaneously and no, they don't really fit together....that would just be too spooky! :)

Pedro

Might spend a few mins (aka hours!) seeing if I can comp the best fits from both. :)

EDIT: Actually, I'm more inclined to tweak the first one a little more to improve the fit.

Drarok

The hyperventilate solo sounds a better fit to me, very cool! :)

Pedro

Thanks (although pushing HIS notes around makes me feel rather inadequate - how does *anyone* come up with such brilliant stuff?).
I agree, and with a little more tweaking I think the HyperV solo is taking even better shape. I just need to get a better-sounding effect on the mod wheel in Omnisphere and I think it will be ready to put up again.

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"Thanks (although push HIS notes around makes me feel rather inadequate - how does *anyone* come up with such brilliant stuff?).
I agree, and with a little more tweaking I think the HyperV solo is taking even better shape. I just need to get a better-sounding effect on the mod wheel in Omnisphere and I think it will be ready to put up again.
Prefer the Hyperventilate one. Wicked!  :mrgreen: