Question for Jem bout drums n stuff.

Started by El_Mayonnaise, August 05, 2010, 12:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

In the latest frost reports theres a section where you're playing a bit of drums on a roland snare and kick it looked like.
I always assumed you used yer keyboards and whatnot for drums.
Any reason for this? If its simply a case of being able to play faster singles then thats understandable.

What do you use for drum samples in your demos and such too? Are you as good at drums as everything else?

Anyone else feel free to jump in on this too  :)
(Thought this was more of a gear thing than an Ask Frost thing)

Jem

I use a thing called Mixosaurus which is an immense drum sampler that comes on it's own hard drive and is accessed via Kontakt

http://www.mixosaurus.com/

Sound On Sound reviewed it a couple of years ago.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan08/a ... saurus.htm

It's expensive, but phenomenal and in order to get the best out of it, you really need to play it with proper midi drums. I've got an SPD30 and a Roland kick and snare that I use with it.

I'm not a brilliant drummer, no, but I AM enthusiastic.  :lol:

rogerg

and that's what prog needs!  more enthusiasm!!!

RobRideout

I usually find my imagination works better for fills and things when I have full room to flail. It's difficult to really get into the groove playing on trigger pads or a keyboard :)

Pedro

For a project I've been tinkering with recently I was using a StylusRMX midi pattern which basically consists of a repeated ascending run of midi notes, where each note triggers a slice of a drum loop.
I decided to switch to using Superior Drummer but wanted the same pattern so, forgetting about the above, I just copy/pasted the midi pattern across.
The resulting sound of 14 16th notes each playing a completely different piece of the kit had me in stitches because, instead of sounding a bit like a one-man-band falling down stairs, it actually produced a totally bonkers fill which I should be able to use!
Happy Accidents FTW! :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"