Drum Microphones

Started by El_Mayonnaise, August 17, 2010, 06:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

Ok so I know theres a few drummers and a few sound engineers on the forum so if any of you could help. Where is the best place to *start* with drum mics?

I am a student with a low income (£0), is there a cheap alternative? Grizzlying in mind, I don't particularly want to buy a mixing desk (although I have the feeling that it would help towards the best drum sound)

Also I have a small multi-track recorder with 2 quarter inch mic inputs. Whats the best option there? An overhead condenser and a snare mic?

Any reccomended microphone brands?

Any help is greatly appreciated!  :D

Gman

I got a Superlux 3 mic kit of eBay for about £60. Despite their cheapness they work well and sound good - have had no problems with them at all.

//http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superlux-DRKA3-3-Piece-Drum-Microphone-Kick-Snare-Tom-/280363930616?pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL

Depending on your budget, a small mixer might be useful to feed several mics to one channel. You'd also need to work stands or clips into your budget equation too.

Really, unless you're able to provide a guide budget it's really difficult to say what would be a good starting point - but look at the Superlux stuff and check out some reviews.

This Superlux kit is rather good value at £215 http://www.dv247.com/microphones/superl ... kit--18107

RacingHippo

I got that Superlux 7-mic kit a few years ago and it's extremely good for the price.
They do for gigs and recording and are perfectly OK unless I was to record "professionally" - in which case someone would be paying for really good mics and a decent studio ;)

If you're using condenser mics, bear in mind that they'll need phantom power. Not a prob with most mixing desks, but not all.

Your multitrack sounds like it has line inputs not mic - if they're 1/4 inch jack then they're either line or unbalanced (i.e. noisy and crap) mic inputs.

My current setup for recording is the aforementioned Superluxes and a Zoom R16, which is the dog's proverbials. I use one channel to play a prerecorded click- or backing-track and the other 7 one for each mic (kick, snare, 8"/10" toms, 12"/13" toms, floor tom, 2x overheads fairly close in).
Although admittedly that lot new would set you back £500. but then you probably don't need that many mics & inputs.

TBH it sounds like you would be wise to get a small, phantom-capable mixer (like this) and as a minimum one mic on your kick and one carefully placed overhead; ideally one on the snare too. Miking toms just helps with definition and isn't essential.
* May contain nuts.

El_Mayonnaise

Thanks for the advice guys  :)

It occurred to me that come september I won't be able to have my drum kit with me at uni and I could probably just book some studio time with one of the uni's recording rooms if I had to record something.

Nevertheless, thanks a lot  :D

Mouse

I've picked up a few interesting titbits along the way here, so I've found it all useful in some way. Thanks, all!

jchop

If there's any way you can borrow and not buy, I'd say do that to start.  

Sometimes it's worth the extra coin to acquire something--even used--that will have more staying power than the cut-rate stuff.

That said, gear is only part of the equation.  Mic placement is vital--especially given the characteristics of the room you're in--and a lot depends on what kind of sound you expect... and you'll need to experiment (and have some understanding of how sound moves inside a room).  

You might get stunning results with three or 4 mics: Shure SM-57 on the snare, couple of condensors on the overheads (I like Shures for this: SM-81), and a mic that can handle the kick (e.g. AKG D112).

Feed them into a quality small mixer (http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=172) with half-way decent EQs and you may surprise yourself.

In the end, you'll find yourself with some gear that is useful beyond the immediate need.

And tune those drums!

-John

Jim Takacs

These Mics are Definitely worth looking into!!  Seriously!!!
http://www.equationaudio.com/mics/mic-t ... ummers.php
::I Like Cheese::