Frost* December (Sinterklaas) gigs

Started by RWA, August 24, 2010, 02:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ich_bin_besser

Quote from: "RWA"In certain occasions it's possible to get 1 or 2 days off for Daniël from school but that only seems possible around official holidays.

Well, being a teacher myself, I can say that I'm glad you chose not to go. Some parents choose the simple way: they just write an excuse ("Sorry, my kid was sick." - unfortunately, that's enough here...) and a few days later, you get to know that the whole family was at some music festival.
And even though I personally LOVE going to gigs, there's no way I'd miss school. Has to do with responsibility and respect. Same goes for the parents.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Pedro

We never took ours out of school unless it was for a medical or serious family thing (like a funeral) thing.
Daft really because their academic prowess now suggests that it would have made very little difference!  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Big Black Shed

Just imho.

I've taken both of my boys out of school for trips / holidays. I firmly believe that the experiences of those other activities far out weighs the missing school for a few days or even a week.

They catch up very quickly. I give them the respect they deserve. They're resilient little buggers. ;-)
It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.

Ash

taking my boy out again for summers end
Ash
xxx

Pedro

Quite right too....

...oh, and when I said; "their academic prowess now suggests that it would have made very little difference", I meant that it's sometiems hard to tell they went to school at all! :)
(I jest of course, just off-setting the shock that our little boy is off to Uni tomorrow... :shock:  :( )

Mouse

Pedro

wickedwitch

i'll be at the December O2 gig.  Pedders, i sympathise. My big girl has just returned from boarding school for the weekend. I've missed her SO much. She's grown nearly an inch in 3 weeks!

RWA

Quote from: "ich_bin_besser"
Quote from: "RWA"In certain occasions it's possible to get 1 or 2 days off for Daniël from school but that only seems possible around official holidays.

Well, being a teacher myself, I can say that I'm glad you chose not to go. Some parents choose the simple way: they just write an excuse ("Sorry, my kid was sick." - unfortunately, that's enough here...) and a few days later, you get to know that the whole family was at some music festival.
And even though I personally LOVE going to gigs, there's no way I'd miss school. Has to do with responsibility and respect. Same goes for the parents.
Yeah, it really goes against our principles. I know a lot of people make no problem out of it but for me it's the same as calling in sick while you're not sick at all. I hate that.

Besides, he gets enough culture, trust me. In 2 weeks we're going to see Simon Phillips doing his Drum Affairs. On a Saturday so no harm done!  ;)

Anyway! No time to bugger! I have some DAW shopping to do!  :D

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "wickedwitch"i'll be at the December O2 gig.  Pedders, i sympathise. My big girl has just returned from boarding school for the weekend. I've missed her SO much. She's grown nearly an inch in 3 weeks!

Blimey. Legend has it that they used to put bromide in the boy's tea at boarding school, but for girls, it seems to be nitrates  :o

Or has she been on the rack for misdemeanours  ;)

(I recall going on tour to Wales with my school's rugby first XV in the 1970s. We played one game against a boys boarding school [during which I was completely annihilated by my opposite number on the wing, a Welsh national under-18 player], and stayed for a meal after the game.

Following the example of everyone else in the dining hall, we all lined up to get a mug of tea from a big urn, only to see the boarding school's matron rush towards us, highly flustered, before redirecting us to a smaller urn of tea, made just for our consumption.

I still remember the looks on the faces of the boarders, as they began to add 2 + 2 ...  8-) )

Ash

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I still remember the looks on the faces of the boarders, as they began to add 2 + 2 ...  8-) )

It was rumoured in particular by British troops during World War II that bromide was regularly added to their tea to reduce incidence of erections...
Ash
xxx

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Sarah"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I still remember the looks on the faces of the boarders, as they began to add 2 + 2 ...  8-) )

It was rumoured in particular by British troops during World War II that bromide was regularly added to their tea to reduce incidence of erections...

Indeed, and why put an end to a good thing when you send your sons off to boarding school after the war?  8-)

Ash

sometimes I am glad that I cannot afford boarding schools  :D
Ash
xxx

rogerg

Quote from: "Sarah"sometimes I am glad that I cannot afford boarding schools  :D

I wish we couldn't afford wars...

Ash

Ash
xxx