Main Menu

ringtones

Started by rogerg, September 05, 2010, 05:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerg

I know that several of us have created our own Frost* ringtones, but I wondered if the powers that be would allow us to post them and share them here?  obviously, we'd each need a place to post them, but they're small files, so that shouldn't be a problem. my phone uses mp3s, as long as they're smaller than 300k.

I'm not sure of the legal issues, but just wondering!

what do you think?   8-)

Trapezium Artist

A grand idea, if Jem's game. I have the infamous "BLM loop" as my main ringtone, which is just about perfect.

The only minor drawback with that as a ringtones on the iPhone is that if I'm driving along with it plugged into my car stereo, listening to music on shuffle, I'm occasionally confused when it rings as to whether it's a call or that BLM has been picked as the next track  :D

I'd be very interested to hear what people may have made in this regard. For an iPhone, the ringtones have to be in a slightly funky format (.m4r), but it's easy to make from an mp3.

Pedro

Permission is a question for Jem of course.

I have *that* BLM solo as my ringtone. A few people I've answered the phone to have said; "Oh, I thought you weren't going to answer for a minute....".  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Jim Takacs

Excellent Idea. Im Currently Using Toys (inst) as My Main ringtone but the best thing is Im Using Other Me off of TPE as My Alarm clock!  Every Morning I get To Have Jem yell at me to "COME ON GET UP, LETS SEE YAH, LAST CHANCE" :D
::I Like Cheese::

gav

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"Excellent Idea. Im Currently Using Toys (inst) as My Main ringtone but the best thing is Im Using Other Me off of TPE as My Alarm clock!  Every Morning I get To Have Jem yell at me to "COME ON GET UP, LETS SEE YAH, LAST CHANCE" :D

Wasn't that JJ? ;)
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

Mooncat

Sounds Like JJ to me (and he only lives round the corner from me too!!!) ;)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Jim Takacs

No, i swear it sounds like Jem to me!  Betcha!!   Where is he anyways! Dammit man, Must priorities!! :P
::I Like Cheese::

gav

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"No, i swear it sounds like Jem to me!  Betcha!!   Where is he anyways! Dammit man, Must priorities!! :P

Yeah, but aren't you state side of the Atlantic? All americans sound pretty much the same to me, so I can only assume that it's the same the other way around? ;)  ;)  :P
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

Phrog

Yeah, it definitely sounds like Uncle Jowitt to me. Either that or or Philadelphia was treated to Jem's Noddy Holder impression  :P

L33VEY

Just got a new phone that allows me to use Music in the library as a ringtone.

Using BLM at the moment, but what would be really cool  8-)  is to have a version of Hyperventilate that starts at 1.04.

Anyone got an edit handy?
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

El_Mayonnaise

I have *those* drums as my text message alert.

Meanwhile everyone gets treated to this delight when I get a phonecall  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecL_KXvIl9w

Pedro

I can do it later on when I get to the PC.
Would a bit of a "how to" be useful? I could document what I do.

L33VEY

Quote from: "Pedro"I can do it later on when I get to the PC.
Would a bit of a "how to" be useful? I could document what I do.

A "how to" would be FAB - no rush - it's waited 5 years............. :lol:
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Pedro

Here goes....(hope this makes sense)....

1) Download Audacity for your machine. I just Googled "Audacity" and followed the links.
Do the install thing as per normal (hopefully you know how to do this)

2) Use "File/Import/Audio..." to open a file browser and use it to load the track you want...in this case HyperV.

Note: you might need to resolve some plug-in issues depending on the formats you are using.
Audacity cannot read CDs directly so you will need to have it in mp3 form or something else that the tool can read.
I happened to have it "ripped" to wma format which Audacity could read (after I had followed the simple instructions it gave me to download the "FFmpeg" library).
Audacity can Export in mp3 format but only if you download and install the "LAME" mp3 encoder. Again the tool makes this very easy - just go to "Edit/Preferences/Libraries" and you will see buttons to Download it and the on-screen messages tell you what you need to do.

You should see a big blue wave of form....

....this is the whole track.

3) By default the "I-beam" Selection Tool is selected (next to the record button). This allows you to highlight a section of the waveform. When a section is highlighted, clicking play will only play the highlighted bit.
You can use the mouse to move the edges of the selection to where you want it.
You can zoom in further (using the magnifying glass buttons at the top right) so that you can get the selected portion to start exactly where you want, in this case, just before the piano bit starts at 1:04.
It's up to you where you want the selection to end. I've let it run until just after the end of the first loud bit (where the band pause and we all cheer)....

4) You can listen to the selection to make sure it starts and stops where you want. The ending is a little abrupt but we'll fix that in a minute. For now, I'll get this section into its own track.
Use "Edit/Copy" (or Ctrl-C) to copy the selection.
Use "Tracks/Add New/Stereo Track" to, erm, add a new stereo track.
Click the "Skip to start" transport button to move the insert-point to the start.
Use "Edit/Paste" (or Ctrl-V) to paste the selection into the new track....

5) I don't need the whole track any more so I close that using the "X" in the top left of the track.

6) Time to sort out the abrupt ending.
Here I have zoomed in on the very last bit of the clip.

I want this to fade out instead of just stopping mid-phrase.
Audacity is very useful tool for this kind of thing because it has a suite of effects like this built-in.

With the end section highlighted as shown, I just need to choose "Effect/Fade Out" and....

....we have a nice smooth fade.

7) Now we just need to use "File/Export..." to choose where and how to save the audio output.
Choose the appropriate file format (I used mp3) and note that the "Options..." button in the file dialog allows you to change the bit-rate etc.
Click "Save" and you just need to edit the metadata for the file (if mp3) and it will be exported.

Simples. :)

Here it is :- //http://soundcloud.com/user9295287/hyperingtone

Now you need to get the file onto your phone....hopefully you know how to do that. :)

I use a number of the Audacity effects quite a lot. Useful for quick edits, tempo changes, pitch changes, reversing things (this is how I fond the hidden message in Milliontown all those years ago).

Mikey

I got confused having BLM as my ringtone. Used to keep listening to it, so I had to change it

Peter Gunn by ELP is currently mine. I used to text people to ring me when I was in a meeting :twisted:
I used to have a signature