The Peel 2009

Started by Mick, November 20, 2008, 09:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Sarah"Well as far as I can tell the diary so far is..
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO IN APRIL??

25th April The Peel, The Reasoning + support to be announced

I'll be there but I have a feeling you won't

LivingForever

Oooh thanks Mike! Another one for the diary...  :D
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

tomskerous

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "tomskerous"Haha. We're even arriving 'fashionably late' tomorrow so we don't have to endure too much of the Disney Princess. ;-)
You never get tired of that one, do you? :roll:

Ah, but it's the first time on *this* board.

(And sadly, once you've heard the similarity, you can never unhear it.)
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

MikeEvs

Quote from: "LivingForever"Oooh thanks Mike! Another one for the diary...  :D

No problem James glad to know your obviously thinking of going I should be there and their gig at the Robin 2 the following day

MikeEvs

Quote from: "tomskerous"
Quote from: "Sarah"30 May 2009 Magenta + very special guests and I'm guessing they don't mean Pedro and Tommo

Haha. We're even arriving 'fashionably late' tomorrow so we don't have to endure too much of the Disney Princess. ;-)

I have a feeling the friends I'm attending with might be employing a similar tactic :lol:

tomskerous

Quote from: "MikeEvs"I have a feeling the friends I'm attending with might be employing a similar tactic :lol:

TBH, if it was the full band I might have gone for it - there's some quite interesting textural stuff in their backing. But an acoustic set...that's not really for me.

But on the subject of chanteuses, one of the other school dads (and erstwhile singer of ReGenesis as it turns out) has enticed me to - of all places - the Aldersbrook Bowls Club on Friday 30th to see Claire Hammill playing. Puts Montgomery Hall into perspective!
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Pedro

Tom, you appear to have duff intel.

The whole of Magenta are playing and, I believe, they are only playing the whole of their latest album Metamorphosis (on which Jem gave a favourable opinion in his Frost* reports).

Personally, (I think it's obvious, I'm a fan) I like what they do, acoustic or otherwise. I too had issues with Tina's voice initially but I have grown to like it - and it has developed noticeably over the 4 albums.

I don't doubt you can identify and rationally justify several things "wrong" with what they do (musically, lyrically, structurally, etc) and you have every right to point them out if you must. However, I think they deserve respect (and possibly a little less dismissal?) for what they do.

Just my opinion of course....
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

LivingForever

Amen to that, Pedro.

I was initially unconvinced too, mostly by the godawful lyrics on 'Revolutions' , and the far-too-blatent "homages" to Yes, Mike Oldfield etc.

But since 'Home' I think they've started to pull things together and 'Metamorphosis' is an excellent album. And live, they are amazingly tight and exciting to watch, largely thanks to the young musicians in the band.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

D S

Come on, you\'re a lion!

Ash

Quote from: "MikeEvs"

It wasn't on HOP's myspace which is why I missed it.  As Living Forever says where is a definitive list - c'mon Mick and Twang!

I will be attending for my monthly night out and prog top up.  I know I left early at The Borderline but that was mainly because it was soooooo hot in there and my husband had tolerated Tinyfish but he wasn't tolerating anything else.  I have been playing the album in the car and its ok, I think her vocals sound a lot better on the CD.  (Sorry just MHO)

Re Magenta - I have been converted backwards and I am not liking the stuff before Metamorphosis half as much.  Got the Singles for Xmas and it was everything I hated about female vocalists.
Ash
xxx

Mick

I got in touch with The Reasoning and Manning this week, Both are playing the PEEL :D

The Reasoning in April and Manning in June, We said 2009 is going to be good :mrgreen:

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Sarah"

It wasn't on HOP's myspace which is why I missed it.  As Living Forever says where is a definitive list - c'mon Mick and Twang!

I will be attending for my monthly night out and prog top up.  I know I left early at The Borderline but that was mainly because it was soooooo hot in there and my husband had tolerated Tinyfish but he wasn't tolerating anything else.  I have been playing the album in the car and its ok, I think her vocals sound a lot better on the CD.  (Sorry just MHO)

Re Magenta - I have been converted backwards and I am not liking the stuff before Metamorphosis half as much.  Got the Singles for Xmas and it was everything I hated about female vocalists.

It's ok Sarah your entitled to your opinion and I'm sure Rachel won't mind (all the same I won't mention it tomorrow when I'm at her house :lol: ) I'm glad to hear you'll be there  :D

Twang

Quote from: "Sarah"

Sorry about that. Everything will be updated on myspace & the web page. We only secured the new shows this week, we were quite busy saving the venue. It's been a rather  nervous time of late.

Mick

Friday 16th & Saturday 17th January 2009 The Script Tour hit House of Progression Mick Pointer joined by Nick Barrett (Pendragon), Mike Verity (Credo), Ian Salmon (Arena), Brian Cummings (Carpet Crawlers) £16.00 adv Doors 7.30pm

Mick

See some of you this weekend for beer and a sing song :D