Being in the band

Started by El_Mayonnaise, October 11, 2010, 03:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

Quick question for anyone that can answer it. When were the members of Frost* session musicians and when did they become a band?

Am I right in thinking that Milliontown was session work from JM, TBE and JJ, while EIMA was a proper band (i.e. profits were split)?

Is Blunders being hired? Is he cheap? Does he do kids birthday parties?

Pedro

As far as I know, Frost* has been and is likely to remain a Jem-centric project with the right 'hired guns' for each project.
I'm not saying it would happen here but I'd strongly recommend not expressing opinions about who should be paid what or share in stuff. It's really none of our business and could lead to unfounded supposition of injustice and so on and none of that helps anyone.
Jem's the boss of this factory. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

El_Mayonnaise

I meant it all in good jest Pedders :) I have no doubt that it would be unfair to say who should earn more than who (though I did think there was a standard musicians fee or something)

I suppose this is more of an realisation of Jem's wealth than a critical analysis of anyone's ability but  you have answered my question so I thank ye.

Talking of a Jem-centric Project it got me thinking about Mr. Steven Wilson. According to Wikipedia (bad citation) he wrote most of The Incident, with only  5 songs having any other writers credited (namely the other members). Prior to this he wrote all of his solo album Insurgentes but Gavin Harrison (drummer of Porcupine Tree) guested on nearly all tracks.

So where is the line (obviously SW drew it  :D  )for bands that revolve around one member and solo work from a member of a band? Could Jem ever actually produce any solo work or would it be a relatively futile exercise and just be seen as music by Frost*?

(None of this is meant to be seen as critical, just musings of a student avoiding coursework :P)

Pedro

Interesting question. I don't know how it works. I think chunks of Spock's Beard stuff are written by people not in the band.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

Indeed. John Boegehold has handled quite a bit of the writing in Spock's since Neal's departure.

Jem has already done non-Frost* solo work. Creatures of Distinction is a prime example. He could, of course, write an entirely pop album. The man's not shackled to prog, or even Frost*.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

E.S.

I think Blunders would be perfect for kids birthday parties. :D

I don't know how the situation is solved in prog land. In many bands where there is one leader, the musicians get paid by the main guy, a standard fee or something. There's not much money in prog, I don't know.

But I can tell you this; good session players are never cheap. ;)

Villuccikeys

And let's not forget that Devin Townsend has done this since the dawn of time.  (When God created the world, he first made the Earth, then the dinosaurs, then Devin Townsend, then man, then guns so man could fight the dinosaurs and Devin Townsend, and finally the grand slam at Dennys.)

I don't think I actually had a real point - I just had to spread the gospel. ;)