Main Menu

big big e.p

Started by turbo, October 31, 2010, 09:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbo

Been listening to the new big big train e.p this weekend and its big, over forty minutes worth to be exact, in my day that was an album not an e.p, anyway i absolutely love it,master of time is superb and the wide open sea is probably the best thing they've ever done. :D
?"By the beard of Zeus"

rogerg

looking forward to getting mine!

L33VEY

I think it's a grower and I'll persevere
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Pedro

I agree. It hasn't "landed" yet for me in the same way that The Underfall Yard did, but I think it will in time.

I might be way off but the composition style seems to have gone from "hey Dave, sing this" to "hey Dave, sing something over this". The vocal melody lines seem a little more "rambling", sort of in the style of latter day Marillion and the bass sound also seems to be same throughout.

But, I like it and it will be my soundtrack at work tomorrow.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

grif

Got my copy on Saturday and have been hugely impressed. Master of Time is superb while The Wide Open Sea gets beter and better with each spin. BBT have become one of very favourite bands, I just wish they would do the odd live gig

L33VEY

Been trying to extract Kingmaker from Prognosis 18 so it sits next to this ep on my MP3 player.  Not easy.

Has anyone found the back door in?

turbo

Quote from: "L33VEY"Been trying to extract Kingmaker from Prognosis 18 so it sits next to this ep on my MP3 player.  Not easy.

I just downloaded the whole cd onto itunes as normal then deleted everything except kingmaker, no probs.   :D
?"By the beard of Zeus"

L33VEY

Quote from: "turbo"
Quote from: "L33VEY"Been trying to extract Kingmaker from Prognosis 18 so it sits next to this ep on my MP3 player.  Not easy.

I just downloaded the whole cd onto itunes as normal then deleted everything except kingmaker, no probs.   :D

Thanks - must have been the old computer playing up - Miss L33VEY's laptop worked OK - I've kept Comedy of Errors as well

turbo

Quote from: "L33VEY"
Quote from: "turbo"

Thanks - must have been the old computer playing up - Miss L33VEY's laptop worked OK - I've kept Comedy of Errors as well

Your welcome,cracking track by the way isnt it, im surprised nobody has mentioned it on here yet.
?"By the beard of Zeus"

L33VEY

Quote from: "turbo"Your welcome,cracking track by the way isnt it, im surprised nobody has mentioned it on here yet.

Probably because it's a complicated beast and it takes quite a few listens to get your head round it.  I keep getting lost in all the musical nods to the mighty Genesis....

turbo

Quote from: "L33VEY"
Quote from: "turbo"Your welcome,cracking track by the way isnt it, im surprised nobody has mentioned it on here yet.

Probably because it's a complicated beast and it takes quite a few listens to get your head round it.  I keep getting lost in all the musical nods to the mighty Genesis....

Your bang on the money there, they sound just like gabriel era genesis but how they might sound now.
?"By the beard of Zeus"

D S

Thanks for the reminder- Prog 18 was just sitting forgotten with a pile of other CDs so I ripped BBT to i-Tunes and it's a cracker!  8-)
It definitely sounds like an outtake from Foxtrot (it's possibly most akin to Can-Utility &the Coastliners).  It might not be original with those Hammond and Tron chords, Hackett-like guitar, Rickie bass, flutes, lush vocals, complex time changes but BBT do that Genesis sound so well.   (There's a slight bit of Steve Howe to some of the guitar runs as well but don't tell Tom.  ;) )
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Pedro

LOL Actually I don't think Tom gets much time to graze here now that he's working on (or more accurately "in") the telly. :D

L33VEY

From the David Longdon blog, talking about the progressing English Electric

Did I also mention that we have a very special guest keyboardist lined up to play in the middle section of  A Boy in Darkness?

The first job for the new Cube?

Pedro

LOL I picked up on that too but, according to the man himself, it's (so far) not our boy...sadly.