Main Menu

District 97

Started by gr8gonzo, May 12, 2010, 03:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

Interesting. Got a lot of nerve blending pop with prog. Described as LTE-inspired, made more accessible by the female vocals of a former American Idol top 10 finalist.

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZaPUJrykAg
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Trapezium Artist

Mmm, kind of. At least I made it to the end without walking away.

Are District 97 any good as a prog band per se?

gr8gonzo

Not sure. I've only listened to a piece of an instrumental. I know better than to decide if it's good yet. Prog Rock Records signed them, so we'll see.

ChrisX

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Not sure. I've only listened to a piece of an instrumental. I know better than to decide if it's good yet. Prog Rock Records signed them, so we'll see.

No they didn't... they signed with The Laser's Edge label who don't release much but when they do it is most of the time quality stuff.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

gr8gonzo

oh, that's right! my mistake. I'll try the samples when it's released in September and see if it catches my interest. definitely different, though.

Gman

I checked them out yesterday and I liked most of it. With the cello and some of the chords, there's a definite UK (the band) sound to them.

There are more tracks to listen to here: http://www.district97.net/epk.html

Their drummer looks like he's 12  :shock:

gr8gonzo

Hmm. I think I'd like to hear the studio version of this one.

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OqMxr6SJtQ&feature=related

For prog with interpretive dance :!: , watch some of the Mindscan vids.

Ecosse

Not a fan, will maybe check out the album and see if it's any better.
| Chris |
Twitter

MrBabou

I've been watching the Youtube videos, and I am loving them. For a young band as such, finally a singer that CAN sing!  :D

Well, many can sing... but too often, again mostly in young prog bands, I've heard horrible singing. This is a win!
"The mind is like a parachute: it works best when it\'s open"... Frank Zappa

ChrisX

Quote from: "Gman"Their drummer looks like he's 12  :shock:

He does indeed a bit but .... he writes all the main material for the band  :o
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

gr8gonzo

I tracked through it on iTunes this morning and I have to say, I liked what I heard. I can't say how much until I hear it in its entirety, but I'll probably pick it up and give it a shot.

MadeOutOfCats

I bought the CD based on a few YouTubes, but unfortunately it hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

This recent clip of their cover of "Back In NYC" looks interesting though. Shame about the sound quality.  :(

gr8gonzo

Yeah, I ended up getting the CD and I do like certain bits, but it's kind of a one trick pony. They're young, though, so I'd give 'em time to develop. Their version of Back in NYC has turned up on the Dividing Line along with some of their other covers, such as Tom Sawyer. They certainly have the tools. They just need to get better at using them.