TPE - Milliontown Mix 'niggle'

Started by SerFox, November 19, 2010, 06:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerFox

This definitely isn't like me, but I want to ask something, mainly the board, especially since Jem is busy as a bee right now apparently :D

Go listen to Hyperventilate on TPE, go to 4:00 exactly and listen to the drums.

I believe this is a mix between the direct mic recordings and the ambient mic's, giving it a very big booming sound, with a bit of reverb, it sounds very good and powerful and fits the performance well.

Now skip to Milliontown and go to 17:30, and listen to the fill over the final "I lose" lyric. It sounds incredibly dry and slightly dampened, and I feel the same treatment might have made it more effective. Especially since at that part on the original record there is a heck of a lot of reverb on the drums on that fill, this feels incredibly flat. There may be a valid reason, ie someone sneezed and broke the mic, who knows! :lol:

Sorry for two things, one if someone has already pointed this out, and two if not, I'm sorry for doing so, but whenever I listen to it, this thought always crosses my mind. Sort of like in the 'Here is the News' Frost* report, I quote: "Shit I wish I'd fixed that!", and although this certainly is not my work, it sort of maybe kind of not really but does a little bit applies.

Really I kinda want to know, am I right, or am I talking out my arse here? :lol:

Mooncat

I recall TBE saying that MIlliontown (the album) was a mixture of live drums by him and electronic stuff programmed/played by Jem - in fact I think he said it was a battle between him and the drum machine and the drum machine won!!

Would certainly explain the differences you've picked out.

(EDIT have just reread the original post and I'M talking nonsense as you're on about the TPE recording!!!!! As you were, nothing to see, move along........................)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

SerFox

Hundred and nine views and one reply, I'm starting to think this thread was a poor idea.. :P It doesn't exclusively have to be Jem answering, c'mon, I want your opinions, guys!

Mouse

I'll have a listen once Deep Purple have finished playing their gargantuan rendition of Space Truckin' from the Made In Japan album. Now I remember why it's rare that I ever get through this album...  ;)

A preliminary thought might be that could an effect have been added to the drums live via the mixing desk at that point in Hyper-V? And then they didn't add it during Milliontown? Probably unlikely, but it could've been a live thing rather than a studio thing, to be incredibly specific.  :lol:

Mouse

Right, I've had a listen. I can see what you mean. Maybe it was a case of if that fill section had been treated, it might not have fitted in with the style that seems to suit the rest of Milliontown fine, which would've then made it stick out like a sore thumb. Or something. I don't know.  :D

SerFox

Quote from: "Mouse"I'll have a listen once Deep Purple have finished playing their gargantuan rendition of Space Truckin' from the Made In Japan album. Now I remember why it's rare that I ever get through this album...  ;)

A preliminary thought might be that could an effect have been added to the drums live via the mixing desk at that point in Hyper-V? And then they didn't add it during Milliontown? Probably unlikely, but it could've been a live thing rather than a studio thing, to be incredibly specific.  :lol:

That is entirely possible, though I seem to recall either a report or Tweet regarding mixing the gig, it does happen, and it's done very well... in comparison to some, other, prog bands...

It's just one part in the live version that really sticks out to me. :P

Mouse

And it's going to really stick out to me now, too...  ;)

SerFox

*evil laugh*

Anyone else have an opinion on it?

Tricky

Post production?
Correcting (no don't say it!) a NDV mistake?
A rare oversight on Jem's part?

I daren't go listen right now; otherwise it'll stick with me too  :roll:
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Againesis

I don't want to spoil the magic either

(walks away with fingers in ears...la la la, I can't hear you)
There are only 10 types of people]

Mouse

Oh, I don't think it'll go far enough to take away the magic of the album. Not for me, anyway. In fact, it reminded me that I really need to listen to it again. I don't think I'll notice it if I play the whole thing all the way through.

SerFox

See it stuck out to me the first time I heard it, I had no choice.

Why am I a musician? :(