How did you discover Frost*?

Started by mr_john, December 16, 2010, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L33VEY

What a brilliant question.  Like Mouse I picked up what was for me a rare purchase of Classic Rock's Special Prog edition and the CD "Shine On".  Had Porcupine Tree, Spocks Beard, Flower Kings and BLM tucked away near the end.

Life was strange at the time late in 2006- had to move over the road while the Russians came in to underpin our house.  I was deep in Radio 2 land at the time.  1976 I'd been listening to Yes & Genesis.  2006 I had stuff by Snow Patrol, Embrace and Katie Melua.

Liked BLM enough to have a look at Frost* on Myspace - heard Hyperventilate and the last part of Milliontown and BAM.  Went to see them support The Flower Kings at La Scala - if this was their last gig then I had to be there.  Hyperventilate, BLM and Milliontown - all over in 40 minutes.  They were all in the bar afterwards, so politely butting into Jem's conversation, got him to sign my CD, and wished him the best with whatever he choose to do in future, and said that I'd keep an eye out for him.

My renewed love of most things prog all springs from Frost* - and now via Wilf I've discovered Moon Safari...
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

gav

I hadn't heard of Frost* before I went to see Dream Theater at Southampton. Me and my friend got there late, just as Frost* were kicking off I was buying a DT t-shirt, went into the main hall and stood there for the set, but the sound was so crap that I didn't really hear anything (apart from Jem's intro of "this next song is about the dangers of time travel").
But then they played The Other Me, and I couldn't help but sing along even though I'd never heard it before!
I then pretty much forgot about them for a few months, and it was only when I got bored with my record collection that I went in search of something new, and the name Frost* suddenly popped into my head.
I went to my local record store and ordered Milliontown after I'd found out the name of it on the web at school, and it now turns out that I was very lucky to have been able to buy it (and later, the special edition of EIMA) for a tenner!
And that was it- I was hooked.
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

DueyC

Someone mentioned on the Kino forum that JM was involved in another project and posted a link to Jem's blog.
I wasn't too taken with BLM the first time I heard it (it sounded a bit over-produced for my liking), but I knew it would work well live.
How right I was   :D
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Mordwin

As with a few others here, it was the cover disk of the original Classic Rock Presnts... Prog... a few listens to some other stuff later (was P2P in those days for reviewing stuff, YouTube or other streaming services these days though) and the album was ordered... think I bought a couple of other bands on that CD too about that time.

Ash

At some point in 2006 my prog pusher gave me a copy of Milliontown.  I was not into prog at the time so put it to one side and forgot to listen to it.  I remember picking up my husband from the train station.  The train was late, so bored of waiting, I put the CD on.  Immediately hooked.
Ash
xxx

Ecosse

I had just bought a copy of Ayreon - The Human Equation, and was looking through the little Inside Out leaflet that comes with all their releases.

Spotted Milliontown in the "New Releases" bit, thought it looked cool, so downloaded it.

Been into them since them and it's hurt my wallet.
| Chris |
Twitter

JakeWorrell

Quote from: "Ecosse"Ayreon - The Human Equation

Awesome!
"The longer the note, the more dread."

Jamyu

Quote from: "Ecosse"I had just bought a copy of Ayreon - The Human Equation, and was looking through the little Inside Out leaflet that comes with all their releases.

Spotted Milliontown in the "New Releases" bit, thought it looked cool, so downloaded it.

Been into them since them and it's hurt my wallet.

Exactly the same with me!

Other albums I found through that insert were:

Saga - 10,000 days
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
IQ - Dark Matter

And other things I can't remember :P

Phrog

I too, like Mouse and L33VEY, got the Shine On CD in Classic Rock Magazine, which was my first introduction to modern prog. However, so distracted was I with PT's Mother And Child Divided (track 1 on the CD) that BLM fell a wee bit by the wayside. What that CD did do for me was kick-start me on a journey through bands like Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater that eventually led me to start lurking around Mike Portnoy's forum, where I saw Milliontown recommended repeatedly. When I finally got the album, it was just a matter of Hyperventilate kicking in for me to be sold! To think I could've got here so much quicker if the tracklisting of that magazine CD had been a little different...  :roll:

glaik

mucking about on youtube, saw that classic little big planet video of Toys, googled it saw that Johnny Mitchell was in the band.  Myself and the missus were raving about Kino album so bought Milliontown and Eima and never looked back 2 Frost* gigs and 1 2J's and a A gig later etc.

DueyC

Quote from: "glaik"mucking about on youtube, saw that classic little big planet video of Toys, googled it saw that Johnny Mitchell was in the band.  Myself and the missus were raving about Kino album so bought Milliontown and Eima and never looked back 2 Frost* gigs and 1 2J's and a A gig later etc.

Take a bow, Pedro  :D
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

ChrisX

Quote from: "catherine"
Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "gr8gonzo"some time later, I bought the CD, too.

I think I still need to do that, but it's $173.38 at Amazon right now!   :shock:  :o  8-)

And worth every penny of that as well!

It's a lot cheaper at amazon.co.uk...

Even cheaper here it seems:

//http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milliontown-Frost/dp/B000G04UYG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292613014&sr=1-2
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

ChrisX

How did I discover Frost? Well, I have been an IQ, Porcupine Tree and Marillion fan since I re-discovered the progscene in the early 90s (I knew a lot of the classic 70s and some of the 80s stuff already). I witnessed the arrival of Arena pretty close (was at the infamoous semi-acoustic performance at the Dutch Marillion fanclub day) and was thrilled to see John Jowitt joining them. When The Visitor was released I was struck by the guitarplaying magic of John Mitchell and IIRC I have even seen him perform with The Urbane at that time. So when a project was announced including JM, PT (of Marillion), JB and CM (former PT drummer) and they would do a few shows before the album was released I went to that gig and was pretty blown away especially by both JM's vocal abillities. Also surprising to discover that not Chris Maitland was playing with them but Steve Hughes (now former Big Big Train drummer) who was really stellar. Always a bit of a letdown that he didn't play with them on the subsequent short Kino tour. I'd rather hear him then the lumberjack style drummer they got on the subsequent gigs... really spoiled it for me.

So... since I was working for a progrock website and always trying at that time to keep tabs on the whole scene I heard quickly about a new project that would involve JM, TBE and JJ with some guy who was writing poptunes for a living. Especially that last bit was very intriguing because I (still) like good poptunes and thought he might bring something interesting to the progtable. Well, after I heard that BLM guitarsolo somewhere online I was hooked and IIRC bought the album almost immediately after release.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Mordwin

Quote from: "Phrog"I too, like Mouse and L33VEY, got the Shine On CD in Classic Rock Magazine, which was my first introduction to modern prog. However, so distracted was I with PT's Mother And Child Divided (track 1 on the CD) that BLM fell a wee bit by the wayside. What that CD did do for me was kick-start me on a journey through bands like Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater that eventually led me to start lurking around Mike Portnoy's forum, where I saw Milliontown recommended repeatedly. When I finally got the album, it was just a matter of Hyperventilate kicking in for me to be sold! To think I could've got here so much quicker if the tracklisting of that magazine CD had been a little different...  :roll:

Heh.. yeah, I know I bought Deadwing and In Absentia about the same time... and yes, Hyperventialte is what really sold Frost* to me too, though BLM had done a fine warm-up job :)

Againesis

Been into prog for years but really only old Genesis, King Crimson but nothing really ticked my boxes since about 1978 (second time around obviously - I was only 5 in 1978!!).  A few exceptions, THRAK, some early Porcupine Tree, It Bites etc. but although I still loved the old stuff I'd lost track.

Think it was sometime in summer 2007.  Had the opportunity to get hold of an OASYS and while digging around on t'internet researching it I fell across Rudess on YouTube.  To be honest I thought "what a cock" and got put off the whole thing but one of the youtube linked vids was a frost report.  I can't remember exactly which one it was but I remember thinking three things:
1 - This bloke is just about the best keyboard player I've ever seen (now I know I've removed the "just about")
2 - I'm sure I sat next to him on a train last week
3 - He's bloody hilarious too (da da da da da da da ...)

I spent a few very very sleepless nights watching evrything I could find and bought a copy of Milliontown ASAP.

Will never forget sitting in my studio listening to the opening couple of minutes of Hyperventilate.  Never had an awakening like it or ever really heard anything quite so mindblowing since (with the possible exception of TDL).  Been a massive Frostie ever since and also then discovered all sorts of other modern prog: Kino, IQ, Magenta, etc.  Even re-discovered Pocupine Tree's newer stuff.

BTW - I did get the OASYS and although I can't play like Rudess I do hope that I don't appear to be quite as much of a cock when I'm sitting at it :-)
There are only 10 types of people]