How did you discover Frost*?

Started by mr_john, December 16, 2010, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightons

Found them today.

Friend knew that i liked rush, steve wilson and all things pt and dt and though that i might like frost*.  Currently listening to milliontown.  Initial listening is very good - somewhere cross between pt and a melodic dt... singer reminds me a little of mike lindup of level 42.

like what i hear though

Mouse

I like that you like what you hear. Welcome!  :)

johninblack

Quote from: "knightons"singer reminds me a little of mike lindup of level 42.

Well......the live Bass player is non other than Level 42's guitarist Nathan King (Mark's brother and infinitely better bass player IMHO). Small world :)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

knightons

now that's very interesting and i swear that i didn't know.  saw l42 @ the derngate in northampton a few years ago... always liked mark king (especially "influences") - but go waaaay back to heathrow etc.

i'm liking this album though.  pocket sun is rocking with dt precision.

glad to be on-board, cheers

MikeEvs

Here's Nathan playing guitar for Level 42 photo taken by me on their last tour at Colston Hall Bristol:

IMG_9744.jpg by MikeEvstog, on Flickr

Full set from the gig HERE

and welcome to the forum  :D

E.S.

Quote from: "johninblack"
Quote from: "knightons"singer reminds me a little of mike lindup of level 42.

Well......the live Bass player is non other than Level 42's guitarist Nathan King (Mark's brother and infinitely better bass player IMHO). Small world :)
And Mark is really bloody good, so that speaks volumes about the lad.  :shock:

manoncharles

I discovered Frost* through another fan club of the band Toehider; a few "brohiders" (Toehider's "Frost*ies") were talking about Frost* and said that strangely enough, even though their music was really different, every Toehider fan seemed to enjoy Frost* very much.
I said I didn't know Frost* at all and that I would like to check them out to see if their hypothesis was right.
One of them sent me a youtube link to Dear Dead Days and I instantely fell in love :-) although my favourite is now Saline.
A fairytale in negative

tigermoth

I had just discovered Big Big Train as a friend sent me a link to one of their songs on youtube. At the time, I had no idea modern prog existed. I knew artists like Steve Hackett were stil putting out albums, but I thought prog had pretty much died out in the eightys. I had no idea there were new and younger bands doing it and Big Big Train with their echos of Genesis and overall awsomeness won me over. Having got in to them, I then wondered if there were other bands doing prog, so I googled modern prog and Frost were one of the bands that came up. First track I heard was Hyperventilate which blue me away. Then I wickipedia'd them and saw Jem's connection with BBT. I was sold and bought all the albums right away. :)

Jim Takacs

A YouTube video of Jems Melon and a CR-78  "Compurythm" .  That day changed my life forever.  THEN that night at around 3am, sitting outside under the stars, I stumbled upon BLM on my Blackberry.  I Wept!   :'( :o  True Story..
::I Like Cheese::

AirlieFrost

Discovered Milliontown by accident on I think Napster, I am sure it was a computerised recommendation .  But then again I may have been dreaming and it could have been another way.  Just glad I did.

JimD

Wow, I never filled this one in. Scrolling back to see if I did I saw all the Frost*ies of yore - Duey C, Mouse, Mr John, Catherine, E.S.!

Anyway, it was late 2006 and I was well into Porcupine Tree. Saw them live in Manchester, joined a forum about them and there was a link to the Silhobbit podcast with Steven Wilson's brother on it. Listened to that and there were some very intense jingles with loads of synths that sound like guitars. Asked around and they said it was Jem. Surfed a little, found the old blogspot site and forum and one lunchtime in early 2007 went into HMV in Oxford and bought Milliontown. Everything has been groovy ever since :)

I do like it when you get into a band early in the year though and they soundtrack the whole period, and you listen to them at work, and in the car, and you put them on the MP3 player for going on holiday and so on. Then you get all old and reminisce and marvel at concepts like "I didn't know about Frost* in 2006" etc.

Just had to go and dig out my old hard drive with all the old bits on, like "Here Is The News" - wow that's kool.
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

D S

Quote from: D S on December 16, 2010, 01:38:07 PM
I just checked to be sure I wasn't imagining this but it is correct.  I actually ordered the Milliontown CD on the day of its release (24 July 2006) without having heard a note of it, purely on the strength of a) who was on it (JM & JJ) and b) the glowing pre-release reviews of people whose musical taste I shared and trusted.  As soon as the piano riff of Hyperventilate came on, I knew that this had been a good purchase, by BLM I was won over and by the end of Milliontown, I knew my world was now officially a better place!
I had a look to see if I'd commented too & found me on page 1!  8)  Can't disagree with anything I said over 5 years ago.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

BrendanGee

Though I have a feeling that I've posted something like this before I couldn't find any comment by me on this topic, so apologies if I just missed it and am repeating myself.

I believe it was 2009 and my friend played 'Dear Dead Days' to me, I was instantly grabbed by it and off I went to find any Frost* CDs I could.
Luckily I managed to pick up the last copy of EIMA from an HMV in Edinburgh.
Then I listened to Milliontown and that cemented my love for the band.
Been an avid follower ever since.  :)
Bring on the Trumpets!

manoncharles

Ha ! DDD was my first too ! I saw Jem doesn't really like it - hopefully we love it otherwise we wouldn't be there :D
A fairytale in negative

mr_john

Quote from: manoncharles on March 07, 2016, 01:24:19 PM
I discovered Frost* through another fan club of the band Toehider; a few "brohiders" (Toehider's "Frost*ies") were talking about Frost* and said that strangely enough, even though their music was really different, every Toehider fan seemed to enjoy Frost* very much.
I said I didn't know Frost* at all and that I would like to check them out to see if their hypothesis was right.
One of them sent me a youtube link to Dear Dead Days and I instantely fell in love :-) although my favourite is now Saline.

I love the fact that you have heard and like Toehider!! I used to chat with Mike on Twitter quite regularly a few years ago. "Whatever Makes You Feel Superior" is the song I put on when I need to feel uplifted.  8)