Main Menu

Jem's New Blog

Started by DueyC, December 24, 2010, 10:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DueyC

Quote from: "ChrisX"Godfrey going the electronic route is very exciting to me.

Same here. I love his version of Cage Against The Machine and I'm looking forward to hearing what else he's dreaming up.
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Phrog

Quote from: "Mickdoo22"That pretty much seals the deal for me.....nothing to see here anymore.  I won't be following this circus act any longer.

Sorry to hear that, you'll be missing out on a heck of a lot of great stuff! Frost* for me is one of very few rare instances of a 'progressive' band that actually progresses, and I wouldn't have it any other way! While the good ship Frost* can sometimes be an unpredictable vessell, I whole heartedly trust Jem to captain it, if you'll pardon the metaphor! Guess we'll see you if/when Frost 3 happens then, in the mean time the rest of us will be relishing whatever music Jem does make in 2011! See ya  ;)

SmartUK

I've not (knowingly) heard any of Jem's other work, but just 'cause it isn't Frost* shouldn't mean it's not worth trying out.  We're also free to listen to other stuff for our prog fix if Frost* aren't currently on the go; that needn't imply and disloyalty to Frost*!

I've tonight downloaded a copy of Craig's "Dr oKtopUs" album "One" - now, it may not be my thing but I now trust Craig as a person and as a musicin so, even if at first it's new to my taste, I'm prepared to give it a chance and, who knows, it may grow on me and inspire me to explore new musical directions.

It seems that, after every hiatus or change in roster, Frost* come back better and stronger.  If it means that we get a stonking new album in 2012 then I'll settle for that and try other things in the meantime.

Porcupine Tree, O5ric & Gavin Harrison, Dream Theater with a new drummer...  We'll see!
Frost*, monkey, trumpet, ARSE!!

Blunders73

Thank you so much Martin, I hope you like it

JakeWorrell

Quote from: "Mickdoo22"bloody brilliant keyboard....i just sold my brilliant keyboard....

Knowing so many musicians (and being one myself) this sort of behavior is pretty much what I consider to be normal.
"The longer the note, the more dread."

Mickdoo22

My constricted view is based on your uninformed opinion.   Your insinuation that I couldn't or wouldn't be into anything new or different from Jem is misguided.  Expanding musical horizons is one thing.....I am ALL for that.   Right, wrong, or otherwise, what I have issue with is the on again off again approach to the whole Frost thing and the loyal fan base.  He did it after the first record, and he is doing it again.  "Soul searching, need a change in my life".....hey....I COMPLETELY understand that.....most of us do change and grow throughout the course of our lives.....but this guy seems to change with the wind and leave his fans swinging in it.  I am cool with it.....I am just not into trying to follow it.

DueyC

Stop digging, Mick.

Jem never expected us all to like everything he does. It's only a hobby and he's free to please himself. He has said all along that as his journey progressed, some people would get off and others would get on.
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

johninblack

Quote from: "Mickdoo22"I am just not into trying to follow it.

Shame you feel that way. One of the big things for me is where this journey goes next, Jem has always made it clear that Frost* will be a fluid and experimental project/band and to my mind it's exactly this that gives it the edge and brilliance it has.

Quote from: "SmartUK"I've not (knowingly) heard any of Jem's other work
But unknowingly you will have heard loads!!
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mickdoo22

Quote from: "Julie"Stop digging, Mick.

Jem never expected us all to like everything he does. It's only a hobby and he's free to please himself.

Ahh...but when you start taking money for your "hobby", selling CD's concert tickets, DVD's, T-shirts, websites, blogs, etc..   it ceases being a hobby.  All that it praised is also open to criticism.  Just as Jem himself says....and you reiterate, he is free to do whatever strikes his fancy, regardless of it's acceptance, we as fans are entitled to voice our opinions as well.  You can't have it both ways.
Being a fan does not lock you into loving every note, every lyric, every musical direction.  There are those who will fawn over virtually every note Jem does just because it is Jem....and there are those who would never want to hear it a second time.....and then there is me somewhere in the middle.  I happen to think Milliontown and EIMA have some of the most brilliant musical moments of any albums I have ever heard, and on the flip side, I think TDL was a train wreck.  The train wreck doesn't deter me from hoping for better down the road.
It's really a shame that any criticism of an artist is met with such ire by the hardest core fans as if none is ever warranted.   I have turned many friends on to Frost, have enjoyed countless long commutes dissecting both Frost albums, thoroughly enjoyed the blogs and this forum, and still consider myself a fan of Frost music....which to me is brilliant songs with layers of keys, guitar, vocals, and great lyrics.....and right or wrong, the blogs and personal ownership/involvement of Mr Godfrey.  That's part of what has ALWAYS made Frost different and very Frost.

Mickdoo22

OK.....so I just read Jem's most recent blog entry.......and it certainly puts a little more perspective to things for sure.  We all make decisions in life we regret, and sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the fact that there is personal side to things too.  Frost aside, I hope Jem finds some peace in the New Year.
Merry Christmas

ChrisX

Quote from: "Mickdoo22"Right, wrong, or otherwise, what I have issue with is the on again off again approach to the whole Frost thing and the loyal fan base.

What makes the whole Godfrey / Frost experience so different then any other is the fact that he is pretty much very open AND outspoken in what drives him. Yeah, that makes for some awkward times / postings / readings / musings but it is also very heartwarming that a talented musician like Godfrey also has his issues and things he struggles with like anyone else. I'd rather have this then the so called mystique of the reclusive artist. It is was actually made me stick around and follow where he is going next. And.... he really does want us to follow because otherwise why would he have bothered in setting up new blog?
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

ChrisX

Quote from: "Mickdoo22"Ahh...but when you start taking money for your "hobby", selling CD's concert tickets, DVD's, T-shirts, websites, blogs, etc.. it ceases being a hobby.

I don't know.... I bet the whole Frost thing has costed him more both monetary AND personally then anything he has 'taken' from his. You make it sound like he himself took your wallet and grabbed some money out of it. You do know that you had the choice of not buying anything?
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Mickdoo22

General Motors loses millions of dollars a year.......is that a hobby too?  
If you derive income it ceases being a hobby.
I am quite sure Frost is not a money making machine, and it would not surprise me in the least if it is actually a losing proposition financially.
You missed the point entirely......I am saying that as soon as you put it on the internet, sell product, promote your craft AND accept the praise for job well done, it also opens the field for criticism.

keithd

At the end of the day, Jem is entitled to take any direction he chooses, as are we in wether or not we wish to follow him. I also believe that forum members should be allowed to voice their feelings in a constructive manner.

Personally, I'm disappointed that there appears to be a Frost* hiatus. Hopefully, it will be only short term.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great Xmas! :)
My Hovercraft is full of eels

XeRocks81

Did anybody know about this blog?  Were we even supposed to know?