E-Drums for Christmas!

Started by MarkOneMusic, December 27, 2010, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkOneMusic

Well! The big surprise in the One household was that I got an Alesis DM5 drumkit for Christmas.

I had talked vaguely about fancying a kit months ago, and how every proper studio had a drum kit in it, but the I forgot all about it.  What a brilliant surprise.

Now, As a keyboard player, I can't play drums.  Well up until yesterday I hadn't really ever tried. Other than programming a drum track from the keyboard.

I have made it make some noises, and I'm holding some kind of beat, (and occasionally dropping the sticks - Yeah that's really funny isn't it!)

Anyone suggest some basic foundation tutorials I should be looking at, exercises I should start to learn?

Drarok

Learn your caterpillars and paradiddles! ;)

I still drop sticks, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Why do you think sales of those drumstick holders are so popular? Not just 'cause of sticks breaking! :lol:

I'm sure there's probably some nice chaps and chapesses on YouTube with some starting pointers. I was taught way back while I was still in school, then just picked up stuff on my own once I'd got the basics. Perhaps you could arrange some lessons with TBE if you're feeling ambitious? :D

Mooncat

There are come good videos posted by TBE - very good, if not a little scary at first, but the basic principles are there.
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Pedro

LOL
Grats on getting a kit.
Try looking at //http://www.freedrumlessons.com - I've only looked briefly myself but it seemed pretty good.
Good luck.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RacingHippo

I can't recommend any particular system or program of lessons as I've never had one in me life, but the site Pedro pointed you at is indeed good - I just looked through http://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-les ... essons.php and there's stuff in there I wish I'd been taught 30 years ago....
* May contain nuts.

Blunders73

search Jonny Rabb, he's got some great stuff around, from day one to uber advanced.
I'm starting some on my Blog early 2011

Pedro

Quote from: "Blunders73"I'm starting some on my Blog early 2011
Oooh, I shall look out for that. Will it be tailored towards the enthusiastic but rather unfit and moderately coordinated amateur? ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mooncat

One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

MarkOneMusic

Thanks everyone.  I'm a bit like a kid with a new toy right now.. Oh right, that would be because... Doh (Just goes to show that in my 50s and I really haven't grown up!)

Quote from: "Blunders73"search Jonny Rabb, he's got some great stuff around, from day one to uber advanced.
I'm starting some on my Blog early 2011

Thanks Blunders!  I'll check him out... And I will be looking for your blog with keen interest! :)

RWA

e drums for Christmas. It just doesn't get any better then that!  8-)

Dave M

Yah .. I got some too .. from the wife, bless her  :D

I was playing a while back, but RSI in my right wrist led to me giving up.

Now started playing again, and loving it .. playing tennis has helped my wrist improve.
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Tricky

Quote from: "RWA"e drums for Christmas. It just doesn't get any better then that!  8-)

Well, Roland V-drums for Christmas; that's better for starters...

(not in the slightest bit biased  ;) )
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

finbeard

If you're still looking about for videos to facilitate your drum-learnin', might I recommend the Jordan Rudess Online Conservatory? The drum videos are absolutely brilliant. It's Charlie Zeleny, of Behold! The Arctopus and Blotted Science fame, and he does a really swell series of tutorials that can guide you all the way up from basic rudiments and rhythms to advanced playing. His videos have really helped me in my playing, and the entirety of the online conservatory is a great musical resource in general. For a once-only fee of 50USD (about 30 quid if you're in the UK) you get a pile of theory lessons and resources and instructional video series(and accompanying notation, tracks, etc) for keyboard, drums, and guitar. Best 50 American dollars I've ever spent.

But I digress, I'm beginning to sound like an ad! Hope you get some use out of this info.  ;)
[size=200]WHAT HO![/size]

Ben Y-S

I use an electronic kit all of the time (and rather embarrassingly, I've never actually played on an acoustic kit, yet pride myself on being reasonably good with the electronic kit after playing on it for two and a bit years now) and they're pretty cool in my opinion. Unfortunately, it's been a while since my dad got the kit, so now both of the cymbals have died. XD Also the drum pad keeps bobbing about the place like anything now I have my double bass pedal, but hopefully this should all be alleviated when I inherit my dad's acoustic kit...

RacingHippo

Ahh, the thing you'll immediately notice aout acoustic kits is that they have no volume knob.
At least, I can't find one on mine and I've had it about 25 years...
* May contain nuts.