Night of the Prog VI (July 8th + 9th), Loreley/Germany

Started by ich_bin_besser, February 02, 2011, 01:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro

That is one SOLID line-up on Saturday...even with Haken appearing to be better than they are - they're good but not "bigger" than Moon Safari. I don't know the festival - is it more prestigious to open?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

ich_bin_besser

Nope. Always a tough thing to start the second day.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Pedro

Ok, the running order is wrong then, in my view. Haken should be opening.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

ChrisX

Quote from: "ich_bin_besser"Nope. Always a tough thing to start the second day.

Maybe from the perspective of probably not having a big crowd in front of you but from the viewpoint of logistics you can't have a better spot. At least, if the headlining act doesn't screw up their allotted soundcheck time in the morning you have plenty of time to set up and get a very good sound. I thought Moongarden did really well last year although I found their brand of prog a bit too heavyhanded for that spot. What you certainly don't want on that spot is a band that either kicks in very agressively or provides a lacklustre performance. Moon Safari however with their sunshine-prog will be excellent I think. Their reputation of being able to really nail all of those vocal harmonies is preceding them and I am looking forward to seeing them but .... Have been to a few NEARfest's in the US and the Sunday Morning spot (opening of day 2) has the reputation of yielding some really good surprises.

However, I am having really serious doubts wether I should go to this years NOTP. There are just 2 bands that I really want to see: Moon Safari and Eloy. Threshold, Riverside, Martigan and Anathema leave me pretty much cold. Haken could be interesting and IQ are always great to see and they are a nice added bonus to that weekend. But I will see them later in the year @ their Anniversary Celebration Weekend in Holland. I have seen RPWL live a few times but all of their albums since the brilliant World Through My Eyes have left me underwhelmed.

The only other option to see Eloy is to go the Burg Herzberg festival which I have never been to and has the reputation of being a sort off nu-hippy festival. But that is also like a 3 / 4 day festival with probably a lot of bands that I have never heard off... a complete line-up of that festival sure isn't up on their website yet.... Ah well, it's not summer yet ... first we have the Marillion Weekend in March  :D
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

ich_bin_besser

Moon Safari won't play the festival...  :(

"Bad news, people. Due to work related issues, Moon Safari has to cancel the gig at Night Of The Prog Festival in july. But we hope to see you guys there another year. We'll make sure to play somewhere in the area soon!" (from their Facebook page)

Meine Musikliste

Mikey

Quote from: "ich_bin_besser"Moon Safari won't play the festival...  :(

"Bad news, people. Due to work related issues, Moon Safari has to cancel the gig at Night Of The Prog Festival in july. But we hope to see you guys there another year. We'll make sure to play somewhere in the area soon!" (from their Facebook page)
The Night Of The Prog festival have confirmed that Vanden Plas will perform at this year's festival as a replacement for Moon Safari who sadly had to cancel.
I used to have a signature

ich_bin_besser

Bags are packed, ready for a great time this weekend!!  8-)
Pics and report to follow.

Meine Musikliste

rogerg

Mouse

Have a great time! Hope the rain holds off. Remember to keep an eye out for one JamesA...  ;)

Mikey

Quote from: "ich_bin_besser"Pics and report to follow.
No pics or report & it didn't happen
I used to have a signature

ich_bin_besser

What can I say?

Weather. It was awesome, no rain, very warm on Saturday. Great sunsets.

People. Met dozens of familiar faces and met many new ones (James, for example). Again, only nice peeps there. Just like on big family. Always great to meet some musicians on the festival area after or before their gigs. Even most members of Sylvan were there, even though they didn't play.  

Beer. Oh well, had much, on Friday even a bit too much.  :lol: This and the chatting with people made me not follow every band's gig with full attention. But I had a great time!

Music. Haken were very impressive. RPWL was very nice and self-deprecating (hopefully someone did record the prog medley!). Not too fond of DT's setlist, but still a very good show. Riverside still getting better every time. Threshold has a stage hawk who ran into the crowd. Only watched a few songs from Anathema, went to the camping bus after that (tired!). Didn't follow IQ's and Eloy's gigs very closely. Sound for Vanden Plas was not too good.

All in all another fantastic event in probably the best venue I know. There are always some minor complaints (mostly regarding some pricing), but the festival will always be a year's highlight for me.

Pics here (I think I took more of friends than of the bands  ;) ): http://community.webshots.com/user/ich_bin_besser

Meine Musikliste