Main Menu

Gigs in 2011

Started by mr_john, January 30, 2011, 05:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "mr_john"I believe that the enitre world becomes dark and the sounds of Barbie Girl by Aqua is played through every available PA/speaker system on the planet. Allegedly. I shall cue up some Yes, Floyd, Frost* and DT to compensate.

While I certainly understand your point, I will (with some trepidation  :shock: ) actually leap to the defence here of the much-maligned Aqua and the irritating ear-worm that is Barbie Girl. In my opinion, both earned some pretty serious redemption when Aqua were the "while we tally the votes" act during the 2001 Eurovision Song Contest in Denmark:

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ17hy9Y3p8

Worth watching at least until 2:30, IMHO. Yes, it's pop, but not exactly for children's ears or eyes ...  8-)

Phrog

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"
Quote from: "mr_john"I believe that the enitre world becomes dark and the sounds of Barbie Girl by Aqua is played through every available PA/speaker system on the planet. Allegedly. I shall cue up some Yes, Floyd, Frost* and DT to compensate.

While I certainly understand your point, I will (with some trepidation  :shock: ) actually leap to the defence here of the much-maligned Aqua and the irritating ear-worm that is Barbie Girl. In my opinion, both earned some pretty serious redemption when Aqua were the "while we tally the votes" act during the 2001 Eurovision Song Contest in Denmark:

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ17hy9Y3p8

Worth watching at least until 2:30, IMHO. Yes, it's pop, but not exactly for children's ears or eyes ...  8-)

Nor, indeed, is the caption that appears at 2:46  ;)

mr_john

In an aesthetic sense I too must support the "band"....  :D

Ecosse

To all those who are seeing Roger Waters this year. I officially hate you all.

I can't make it cause it's my wedding this year, so money is EXTREMELY tight. :(

The Rock Gods are punishing me for something, I just don't know what!

On the plus note, going to see Devin Townsend on the 7th March in Glasgow.
| Chris |
Twitter

Mooman

This year be a fine year for gigs indeed! My bank balance appears to be a helluva lot smaller now though....

Lighthouse Family and Devin Townsend on the 5th and 6th of March, Symphony X on the 24th, Kamelot on the 27th April, Rush on the 16th May, two Iron Maiden gigs in July, and just recently bought tickets to see Rick Wakeman on the 23rd April  :D

Not eating for the rest of the year has never looked so inviting!
If you\'re considering going to Sonisphere, when you buy a ticket could you please use the code SF636M, I\'ll provide some variety of biscuits! \":)\"

Mordwin

So far, just The Pineapple Thief in Glasgow (yay!), and Rush in the same city. I'm sure others will crop up before the year is done though (Rush tickets did make a bit of a dent though...  :shock: )

Gman

Well I saw the Feeling on Saturday - they played about 7 songs from the new (unreleased) album and I must say that me and Mrs Gman were rather underwhelmed. The first album was great, the second album had moments of greatness with several 'meh' songs. I'm afraid that the new album is going to be similarly 'meh' with a couple of good songs.

There didn't seem to be anything up to the same mark as Sewn, Join With Us, LIWYC etc etc. I was really looking forward to the new album but now, not so much  :(

Ho hum.

mr_john

Think I'll be seeing It Bites too!

L33VEY

Spent last night at La Scala in Kings Cross.  Haven't been there since my first Frost* gig 5 years ago.

North Atlantic Oscillation were good - played some new stuff - but a few too many slow bits that encouraged people to chatter and not listen.

Anathema started off playing the new album in its entirety - a good move as it continues to take up a lot of airtime in the Frost*mobile - then 40 minutes of old stuff that the majority had come to hear and sing along with.  Impromptu "Wish You Were Here" even had me singing! Sound was extremely good.  If they get the right setlist for High Voltage then they'll go down very well.
Highly recommended.

Matt Stevens was outside giving out flyers - promised to buy his album, so I better had!
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

ich_bin_besser

Just back from seeing Vanden Plas and Toxic Smile.
VP was good, but too loud. Toxic Smile was fantastic.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Phrog

The coming months are starting to shape up nicely now, in addition to Roger Waters and Rush I now have Dream Theater and Leeds festival... Muse!

Mooncat

................and I ended up going to see Elbow last night  ;)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Mikey

Saw Steve Lukather last week at the picturedrome, excellent gig through it took a while tweaking the sound.
Alan Price was different, great performer though, not bad for a 68 year old
I used to have a signature

Phrog

Quote from: "Mooncat"................and I ended up going to see Elbow last night  ;)

Ahh, how did the new stuff sound live?

Mordwin

The Pineapple Thief in Glasgow on Monday... rather good... have Rush in May...

And I think It Bites are playing in May too, so will see if I can get along to that. Hmm, and I see Pallas are the night before Rush... I guess concerts are a bit like buses?