Marillion Weekend Holland 2011

Started by RWA, January 30, 2011, 08:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWA

Been a fan for ages but never been to a Marillion Weekend before. Bumped into Frans Keylard (Rogues Gallery, The Dividing Line) on FB this weekend and got invited to his posse of 8 (-1) for the upcoming convention in Zeeland, NL.

The party of 8 is complete again.  :mrgreen:

Should be fun. I'll finally get to meet Frans to thank him for his big time support for Ghost Circus over the years. He's also playing my RWA tracks whenever I deliver any so I own him a beer or 2. Or 3. Or 15.

Any of you ever been to such an event? Anyone else from here going to the 2011 NL edition?

ChrisX

Quote from: "RWA"Any of you ever been to such an event? Anyone else from here going to the 2011 NL edition?

Yep, have been to every one of the Holland editions and it is always a blast. The whole park filled with just Marillion fans. Everywhere you go you meet people who are into the same music. I had hoped that Frost* might turn up as one of the support acts or even It Bites but alas ... BTW, I have never seen a support act during those weekends that really blew me away. Except for that one night they had this phenomenal Beatles tribute band in the smaller venue .... they were awesome and the whole crowd was heavily into them. In the end we even got an encore featuring Steve Hogarth belting out Helter Skelter with them. Bloody marvellous.

But what is the most impressive part is the fact that Marillion is putting on 3 stellar sets on 3 consecutive night.. that is 3 totally different sets. And these aren't short ones either ... Last weekend they did something called the shortest setlist ever i.e. all the long pieces in the catalogue. Epic night  :lol:

I think our party is going to be the smallest we have had so far... might be six people... but we always opt to have the cottage for ourselves ....

One of the daytime activities we always take part in is the infamous Marillion Pub Quiz (regulars might remember the name of our team: Mick & The Pointer Sisters  8-)  ), which is always a lot of fun although we don't do that well.

For the rest we take a leisurely pace during daytime bringing a small dvd-player with us and crapload of music dvd's to enjoy (Marillion then being off limits). If we are lucky this year we might have fine weather but do bear in mind since it is quite close to the seaboard (the park is separated from the main sea by a big big dam, part of the massive Delta Works) it gets quite chilly in the evening so the walk back from the huge concert tent to your cottage might be a cold one if you don't prepare.

Food: is quite pricey so if you have the opportunity to bring it yourselves the cottages are well equiped so you can make your own meals. But there are also fast food options on the park and if you time it well enough there are no long lines anywhere.

On the other side of the dam is a nice big beach which we usually do go to to let our 'hangovers' blow away (usually on Sunday Morning, Saturday being the big party night).
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

RWA

Sounds like a riot.  Big chance I'll run into you then Chris!  :mrgreen:

Very much looking forward to it. The gigs being a highlight for sure. I watched the 'Out of Season' DVD of the 2009 convention a couple of months ago. By far the best they ever did. This band is just getting better and better as a live act.  8-)

Mossive Attack

Our party of six (inc myself and Mrs M) will also be there! We have been to both of the weekends in the Netherlands and also the last UK one in Minehead...although the music is always superb I must say the accommodation in Port Zeelande is far superior!

Anyway...I shall be wearing a Frost* t-shirt at various times so if anyone spots me (6ft ish,shaven head...err...and not as bad as that sounds) please say hello! Or maybe 'What Ho!' would be more appropriate!

I actually spotted myself on the latest DVD from the last weekend wearing said Frost* t-shirt on the Sunday night...a little bit of Frost* gets everywhere!

Last time round we drove down to Bruges on the Saturday...a great day out! This time we are coming in that way...

Looking forward to it...see you there!
The artist formerly known as Rob-M....

RWA

See you there indeed. I'll be wearing Frost* ultra sexy T-shirts as well most of the time. Frosties* unite!  :)

RWA

Packed and ready to drive to Zeeland tomorrow!  :mrgreen:

Pedro

Have a great time all, fly the Frost* flag high for us all and tell us all about it when you return. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mossive Attack

Well...just about recovered enough to type!

What an incredible weekend. Every time they seem to surpass the previous one somehow.

Fabulous music and three fabulous gigs. The crowd seemed to find extra energy from somewhere, especially on the Saturday night I thought. Although the Friday gig was shorter ..'Holidays in Eden' plus encores, the Saturday and Sunday gigs were both 3 hours. I was knackered just standing there so the chaps probably need a good lie down somewhere I would imagine!

I liked the 'A to Z' idea...some choices were unusual but it worked well. Jigsaw was a surprise, as was Psuedo Silk Kimono and I loved the 'Zeparated Out' section...a good way around the Z problem with Black Dog segued into Separated Out and a touch of Kashmir thrown in....marvellous.

Back to reality now...always hard after any great gig but more so after a weekend of them.

If you can get to the next one do so!
The artist formerly known as Rob-M....

RWA

Ah yes, the weekend.  :?

Well, I enjoyed myself after arrival and had a great time Friday evening. Saturday I woke up with a annoying stomach pain that just grew worse over the day. I mainly kept a low profile during that day trying to make the gig that night. I did make it but left again after an hour or so because I felt like shit. Woke up Sunday morning at 6:00 am feeling even more shitty so decided to leave for home while I still felt able to. That in a nutshell was my weekend. :lol:

Great timing eh?!  ;)

ich_bin_besser

Wow, that sucks... What did you eat there?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

RWA

Quote from: "ich_bin_besser"Wow, that sucks... What did you eat there?
Stuff!

Nothing special as far as I remember. Although... now you bring it up... there was this fish sandwich I picked up at a tank stop on my way on Friday; might as well be the bastard. Surely screwed up the weekend all right....

Oh well, shit happens, eh?! I'm fine now.  :)

Pedro

Quote from: "RWA"
there was this fish sandwich I picked up at a tank stop on my way on Friday; might as well be the bastard. Surely screwed up the weekend all right....
So sorry to hear that Ron...not fair at all.

So let me get this straight....Fish ruined your Marillion weekend?? ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "RWA"
there was this fish sandwich I picked up at a tank stop on my way on Friday; might as well be the bastard. Surely screwed up the weekend all right....
So sorry to hear that Ron...not fair at all.

So let me get this straight....Fish ruined your Marillion weekend?? ;)
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  SUMBITCH!!!!!

rogerg