Main Menu

3 (Three)

Started by Diffidentia, November 23, 2008, 06:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diffidentia

Couldn't find a tpoic on these new and shiny forums about this great band, so here goes.

Band Profile on MySpace

The singers side gig
(Guitarists out there should give 'Bramfatura' a listen)

Short Bio
3 is a band apart: Dark yet uplifting, spiritual without any connection to religion - theirs is a sound that transcends the genre conformity of modern pop culture. Rapid-fire acoustic guitar infused with dynamic percussion, animated drumming and thunderous bass culminate in a listening experience that is at once accessible and unique. Polyrhythms pulse within a symphony of driving metal guitars and melodic vocal acrobatics. 3 offers musicality without pretension.

The Woodstock, NY-based group began touring nationally in 2003 when they hit the road with Coheed and Cambria. They turned a lot of heads, winning audiences with their passion and unique brand of virtuosity. The buzz had begun, not just amongst music fans but within the industry as well.

Enter 2006, after the successful re-release of Wake Pig on Metal Blade Records, and the completion of their first world tour, 3 returned home to begin work on a new record. Drumming guru, Jerry Marotta (Peter Gabriel, Elvis Costello), offered up his legendary studio and drum collection, and so the boys set up shop and recorded their masterpiece: The End Is Begun.

Dodie

"3" was also a short-lived band that consisted of E and P of ELP, with L replaced by Robert Berry. Just one album, which didn't make much impact as far as I know. I doubt even the most avid ELP fan will recall "3" with much unbridled admiration...
Cheers
David

BeyondThePale

3 is INCREDIBLE.

I saw them live twice. Once opening for Porcupine Tree last year, and once this past May at Progressive Nation in NYC. Phenomenal live show, everyone should go see them. Very energetic and fun. Bramfatura is indeed amazing too, his fingerpicking is out of this world. I read once in an interview that he actually has 3 layers of super glue on the tips of his fingers for better gripping on the picking hand.

Diffidentia

Quote from: "BeyondThePale"I read once in an interview that he actually has 3 layers of super glue on the tips of his fingers for better gripping on the picking hand.

Now that's just crazy!

I would have loved to see them live but I suppose there's no big chance of that happening, at least not here in Norway.

BeyondThePale

Yeah but you guys in Europe have bands like Pain of Salvation. :/ I mean, I would seriously give up an arm and a leg to see that band live. No other band compares.

Philadelphia

I've never managed to see Pain of Salvation either - and I live in Sweden! It's so weird, we can barely get Swedish prog bands to play here (and bands from other country tend to skip us on their European tours), there are more prog musicians than prog fans in this country.
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

BeyondThePale

That's a shame. What is living in Sweden like? I've read up on the country and seen lots of pictures... Stockholm looks beautiful. I'm not one for cold weather but I'd adjust given the amazing music that comes out of that country

Philadelphia

You wouldn't like Stockholm right now then, they're in the middle of a blizzard up there. It's a lovely town, though, I usually just go there for gigs a few times a year but they've got some nice little record shops and stuff. It's nicer in the summer than in the winter (and that's coming from someone who loves winter and cold weather).

And living in Sweden is... Well, I don't know how to sum it up in a just a few words. Most people seem to like it, but you're talking to the wrong person as I can't wait to move to the UK. (;-)
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

Diffidentia

If you really want to see prog live in Europe you have to live in or near the Netherlands. That's where all the fun is. I'm not sure if it's the fans or the weed that makes all prog bands go there, it could be either one. My money's on the latter, however ;)

Jarkendia

This band completely blow my mind. They are awesome. The End is Begun is almost perfect!

progbitch

Agreed, a very good album. I keep seeing it in my itunes and thinking I've got to play it again. So I'll go and do it now.

Diffidentia

It is indeed a good album. Still not quite up there with Wake Pig, which I'd say is a must own for every music lover.

kaide

Great band! i have one of their live shows(Live at the Bearsville - Woodstock, NY) and its awesome!! :twisted:

Mikey

Quote from: "kaide"Great band! i have one of their live shows(Live at the Bearsville - Woodstock, NY) and its awesome!! :twisted:
Is that 3 or 3?
I used to have a signature

kaide

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "kaide"Great band! i have one of their live shows(Live at the Bearsville - Woodstock, NY) and its awesome!! :twisted:
Is that 3 or 3?
:?