TRANSATLANTIC-THE WHIRLWIND

Started by daveyb, March 07, 2011, 02:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ich_bin_besser

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

MarkOneMusic

Quote from: "ich_bin_besser"Whirld Tour. Anytime.

If only for the nanosecond of me waving like a completely demented loon when they pan across the audience.  (Yes I did step-frame through that bit  :roll: )

keithd

Quote from: "David"Which DVD should I buy?
Live in Europe (2003) or Whirld Tour (2010)?

I just love "Stranger in Your Soul", what a song!

Just get them all and enjoy  :)
My Hovercraft is full of eels

mr_john

Quote from: "MarkOneMusic"

If only for the nanosecond of me waving like a completely demented loon when they pan across the audience.  (Yes I did step-frame through that bit  :roll: )

:lol: As did I during the documentary bit shot in Manchester!!  ;)

Mouse

I managed to miss two opportunities to see them play The Whirlwind in its entirety last year, but the Whirld Tour DVD was very good compensation indeed. The bonus film of Return Of The Giant Hogweed with Steve Hackett at High Voltage 2010 had me jittering like a schoolboy. What a performance!

Transatlantic are very typical Prog - blown out, everything in excess, over the top, complex... sometimes it's just what you need!  :D

finbeard

If you're giving The Wirlwhind a listen, make sure you get the version that has the second CD- it's a whole album unto itself! Not only does it feature a number of excellent well-produced covers of prog-from-days-bygone, there's also some kicking originals on there. Lenny Johnson is a particularly excellent tune, as is For Such A Time.

Transatlantic is simply fantastic, and I'm hoping now that Mike Portnoy is out of Dream Theater has less on his plate that he might be good enough to crank out a new Transatlantic record for us all to enjoy...
[size=200]WHAT HO![/size]

David

Quote from: "MarkOneMusic"If only for the nanosecond of me waving like a completely demented loon when they pan across the audience.  (Yes I did step-frame through that bit  :roll: )
You're actually on the DVD! How cool is that?  8-)

mr_john

Quote from: "finbeard"Transatlantic is simply fantastic, and I'm hoping now that Mike Portnoy is out of Dream Theater has less on his plate that he might be good enough to crank out a new Transatlantic record for us all to enjoy...

That's what I'm hoping too!! I'd love another album and tour. I think the fact that the last tour did so well in terms of feedback and numbers that it will hopefull gee them on to do more!

Pedro

According to the Transatlantic site there are Portnoy collaborations going on...maybe there won't be enough time for actual Transatlantic?

Quote from: "On theTransatlantic website someone"New Neal Morse / Mike Portnoy collaborations
Neal Morse - Testimony 2
Mike Portnoy / Steve Morse / Neal Morse / Dave LaRue / Casey McPherson project
Yellow Matter Custard - Three Nights Across America 2011
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

mr_john

Quote from: "Pedro"According to the Transatlantic site there are Portnoy collaborations going on...maybe there won't be enough time for actual Transatlantic?

Quote from: "On theTransatlantic website someone"New Neal Morse / Mike Portnoy collaborations
Neal Morse - Testimony 2
Mike Portnoy / Steve Morse / Neal Morse / Dave LaRue / Casey McPherson project
Yellow Matter Custard - Three Nights Across America 2011

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Although....

Yellow Matter Custard - Three Nights Across America 2011 - Done and gone, was a couple of gigs with a DVD to follow
Mike Portnoy / Steve Morse / Neal Morse / Dave LaRue / Casey McPherson project - Think that's completed too
Neal Morse - Testimony 2 - Not sure about this but the tour dates in the US are set to begin May 19 so would assume that its done or nearing completion!

It'll also be dependant on Marillion and Flower Kings too. I'll keep a light on for them.

flamadiddle

I was actually lucky enough to be at the Yellow Matter Custard gig in New York two weeks ago while on holiday.  I was walking down Broadway looking for a show to watch, but they're closed on Mondays.  Then I passed BB Kings and spotted "Yellow Matter Custard" and thought "Oh, there must be another Beatles cover band with the same name".  I crossed the street to take a look and it turned out to be the real deal.  Of course, I had to see it and the wife is a huge Beatles fan, so she was happy to see it.  Amazing gig with some fantastic playing.  Was stood next to a cameraman, but didn't realise it was for a proper DVD.  Will have to pick that up.

mr_john

Quote from: "flamadiddle"Was stood next to a cameraman, but didn't realise it was for a proper DVD.  Will have to pick that up.

Keep on eye on Portnoy's site/forum for release info www.mikeportnoy.com  ;)

David

Quote from: "D S"Both!  :D
Seriously, they're both good but if I had to chose just one, I'd go for the Whirld Tour as you get 3.5 hours of concert material plus other footage.
It's 6 months from now, but I just bought the Whirld Tour DVD, and it's absolutely breathtaking.
What a show!!!
 8-)   8-)   8-)

D S

Glad you enjoyed it.  And if you still want more.... (well, the title says it all really!)
http://www.radiantrecords.com/products/ ... ester.aspx
Come on, you\'re a lion!

keithd

Transatlantic-More Never is Enough-Live in Manchester & Neal Morse Testimony 2-Live in Los Angeles Bundle is now available to pre order  :D

http://www.radiantrecords.com/products/ ... undle.aspx
My Hovercraft is full of eels